17:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
Delayed
06:01 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 05:26:13 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[176] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[71] Signage - not making it easy ...
[15] IETs at Melksham
[13] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[12] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train
[12] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: 142 vs 159s at Exeter  (Read 24385 times)
The SprinterMeister

Trundling round the SW

Chris64ex4@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2010, 13:49:38 »

Does that mean that Exeter City will win their first two games?  The football season starts tomorrow!!

I doubt it, they aren't known as 'Exeter City Nil' without good reason. Grin

Trundling gently round the SW
Trowres
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2010, 00:02:09 »

Well perhaps the rag headline should read Exeter Entranced  Grin
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2010, 00:19:25 »

well, at least in two weeks they'll be able to report on Exeter City losing at home (and away) every week  Wink
Does that mean that Exeter City will win their first two games?  The football season starts tomorrow!!

2 all draw today!

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2010, 00:43:21 »

well, at least in two weeks they'll be able to report on Exeter City losing at home (and away) every week  Wink

2 all draw today!
one more to go til they lose the rest  Wink Cheesy
Branch Line Connor

View Profile Email
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2010, 04:05:32 »

Does that mean Saints 0 - 1 Argyle

Is... SouthWest Trains 0 - 1 First Great Western?  Roll Eyes
The SprinterMeister

Trundling round the SW

Chris64ex4@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2010, 14:01:57 »

As I recall, the logic went that the traditional "shoe" brakes fitted to older stock, since they bear on the tyre, scrape off the assorted slime, mulch, grease and cack that accumulate on wheels during the leaf-fall season and therefore help adhesion. Disc brakes on the other hand obviously don't seeing as they're gripping a brake disc on the axle and not the wheel itself. Didn't this also result in "scrubber" brake blocks being fitted to some disc-braked units to clean off the wheel tread?

There was also a problem with class 158's in two car format and the reliable operation of track circuits, not withstanding the fitting of 'Shunt Assisters' (better known as Track Circuit Actuators) to the non driving bogie under the cab. The scrubber blocks were required in order to make sure that the bogies at each end were at least making reliable metal to metal contact.

Some TOC (Train Operating Company)'s in fact formed 'hybrids' using a class 158 car coupled to a tread braked car to overcome the issue during the leaf fall season until scrubber blocks were retrofitted. 

smithy

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2010, 18:12:38 »

As I recall, the logic went that the traditional "shoe" brakes fitted to older stock, since they bear on the tyre, scrape off the assorted slime, mulch, grease and cack that accumulate on wheels during the leaf-fall season and therefore help adhesion. Disc brakes on the other hand obviously don't seeing as they're gripping a brake disc on the axle and not the wheel itself. Didn't this also result in "scrubber" brake blocks being fitted to some disc-braked units to clean off the wheel tread?

There was also a problem with class 158's in two car format and the reliable operation of track circuits, not withstanding the fitting of 'Shunt Assisters' (better known as Track Circuit Actuators) to the non driving bogie under the cab. The scrubber blocks were required in order to make sure that the bogies at each end were at least making reliable metal to metal contact.

Some TOC (Train Operating Company)'s in fact formed 'hybrids' using a class 158 car coupled to a tread braked car to overcome the issue during the leaf fall season until scrubber blocks were retrofitted. 

that is the reason all 3 car hybrids have an ex wessex vehicle as the hybrid so at least 1 car has scrubbers.
the TCA (Track Circuit Actuator) is actually called Track Circuit Assistor and not Actuator as is commonly thought.dont mean to be pedantic just confirming the proper wording.
The SprinterMeister

Trundling round the SW

Chris64ex4@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2010, 11:06:33 »

The TCA (Track Circuit Actuator) is actually called Track Circuit Assistor and not Actuator as is commonly thought.dont mean to be pedantic just confirming the proper wording.
The term 'Track Circuit Actuator' is used in all official documents supplied to traincrew to be utterly pedantic, although as you and I both know the equipment doesn't operate the track circuits. It merely assists the normal wheel / rail contact which is the usual method of track circuit operation.

smithy

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2010, 19:51:49 »

The TCA (Track Circuit Actuator) is actually called Track Circuit Assistor and not Actuator as is commonly thought.dont mean to be pedantic just confirming the proper wording.
The term 'Track Circuit Actuator' is used in all official documents supplied to traincrew to be utterly pedantic, although as you and I both know the equipment doesn't operate the track circuits. It merely assists the normal wheel / rail contact which is the usual method of track circuit operation.

as you say you and i know the correct wording the official documents are probably in plain english for crew with less technical knowledge than us.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2010, 21:50:39 »

Another slow news day in Exeter. The local press has re-hashed the story (with nothing new to say) again.

From the Express and Echo (25/08/2010):

Better brakes could have stopped crash which hospitalised nine

A rail crash which hospitalised nine people might have been prevented if braking equipment had been upgraded, investigators have said.

On the evening of January 4 a First Great Western (FGW (First Great Western)) 142 train from Barnstaple hit the back of a stationary South West Trains service to London at Exeter St David's Station.

Six passengers in the FGW train and two in the London-bound train, plus three members of staff, were taken to hospital. None were seriously hurt.

Investigators for the Rail Accident Investigation Branch found that the driver of the FGW train had applied the brake 139m before the crash, when the train, known as a 142 unit, had been travelling at 17mph. Instead of slowing to a stop the train skidded on the rails.

In a detailed report, investigators say equipment which distributes sand on the tops of rails to improve grip when accelerating or braking could have stopped the crash.

The 142 units, which are in use on several Devon branch lines, are not equipped with sanding systems.

Investigators say water and ice on top of the rails were likely to have caused the train to lose grip in the first place.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
julian

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2010, 16:54:11 »

Does anyone know when the Exmouth Branch is likely to see any 'new' trains?
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2010, 18:38:23 »

By "new" what do you mean...? If you're asking when are the 142s likely to disappear, then the answer is probably within the next year or so, perhaps sooner. If you're asking when it'll get brand new stock, the answer is not for an exceedingly long time. It's not even close to being on anyone's long-range radar at the moment.
julian

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2010, 12:06:30 »

Yes, I appreciate that 'new' in Devon is a relative term and that we will be getting refurbished units from elsewhere. I had thought that the replacement units were due this summer. I understand that there have been problems with other rolling stock which has caused a delay. 
julian

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2010, 15:05:21 »

'New' trains not arriving for another 12 months or so...
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2010, 16:14:25 »

'New' trains not arriving for another 12 months or so...

I'm sure it'll be the latter... but any source for this?

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: