Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
16th Apr (1987)
~ Tulyar arrives at Swanley New Barn Railway (link)

Train RunningCancelled
22:44 Taunton to Bristol Temple Meads
17/04/24 00:45 London Paddington to Reading
Short Run
16:50 Penzance to Cardiff Central
18:38 Barnstaple to Exmouth
19:56 Cardiff Central to Taunton
23:24 Didcot Parkway to London Paddington
Delayed
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 19:48 Exeter St Davids to Exmouth
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 21:26 Bristol Temple Meads to Cardiff Central
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 16, 2024, 19:53:49 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[303] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[71] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol
[69] BBC Great Coastal Railway Journeys - A Correction
[69] Proposals for open access services on new routes
[65] Okehampton
[51] First tour train of season

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14
  Print  
Author Topic: Cancellation map - what it's showing  (Read 108045 times)
Southern Stag

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 24, 2012, 19:49:25 »

FGW (First Great Western) had basically uploaded an emergency timetable today and yesterday, so that what you search for in National Rail Enquiries and the like is what is running. That meant no through London-Penzance services were shown, instead London-Tiverton Parkway and Exeter-Penzance services were shown. It's probably easier for passengers than what Cross Country had done. They are just showing their normal timetable, with shorter notice alterations added on the day. It makes it much harder for passengers to plan their journeys. Of course the landslip at Teignmouth today through that out the water somewhat.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #46 on: December 30, 2012, 19:24:14 »

Now that the dust has settled (or rather that the "waters have subsided"), I've been giving a bit of thought to what our little map does, what it should do, and what it could do.

Conclusion (1) ... at times of prolonged, mass disruption it's not at all obvious what the "baseline" that we're comparing services against should be;  we're never going to have something that's totally natural and obvious both to regular travellers who would typically know what's been going on, and occasional visitors.

Conclusion (2) ... we should probably leave "as is" to mirror JourneyCheck (any awkward choices they make ... they're making for use too)

Corollory ... at exceptional times, we can add an extra blanket messages over the map.  We're done this several times in the last fortnight, indicating (a) the split of London to West services and (b) the lack on any trains in 25th and 26th.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2013, 13:28:33 »

The Cancellation map seems to have a very odd blue line at the moment. Or is there really an amended Paddington Dublin Service?

I know I am opening an old thread, but it is exactly the same subject. Mods feel free to move
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2013, 13:42:08 »

Looks as if they've laid an 'extra Cardigan' on, as its so cold crossing the Bay !! Roll Eyes
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2013, 13:51:13 »

The Cancellation map seems to have a very odd blue line at the moment. Or is there really an amended Paddington Dublin Service?

I know I am opening an old thread, but it is exactly the same subject. Mods feel free to move

No - it's an old subject, so right to re-open.   Our system hasn't heard of "Ash" before and believes that Cardigan Bay is a good point to put out the fire ..

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2013, 13:57:34 »

... and I have now told our system roughly where it should be.

bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 23, 2013, 13:59:50 »

It may feature for a while too this afternoon... the problem is a lack of a toilet on a unit doing the Reading/Ash shuttle but the set cannot be swapped off with one from the depot because of the engineering work at Reading today. (However at least the blue line will be in the right place now!)
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 24, 2013, 15:47:35 »

Spurious lines this evening are Ledury, which has been relocate to the Irish Sea somewhere off Dublin.  I'll fax when I'm not moving - don'l like editing files on the server from a moving train in case the connection drops.

A place I know only from above. Ledbury was one of the turning points for my first ever solo cross-country flight. Ledbury was chosen by my instructor because of the layout of the roads and railway, which makes it a very easy place to identify positively. So I went from Filton to Abergavenny, then to Ledbury, then back down the Wye, doing a lap of honour over the hotel where my wife and her sister were having tea, before a flawless landing at Filton despite having the sun in my eyes. I have also landed once at Ledbury airfield, the only time I have ever been warned not to continue my approach if I see a bus or lorry coming, or the ferry from Dublin for that matter.

Now, please!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #53 on: April 03, 2013, 19:27:05 »

Today's turn to be dumped in the Irish Sea ... Reading West.   Now returned to the Reading area.

Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 03, 2013, 19:42:59 »

Today's turn to be dumped in the Irish Sea ... Reading West.   Now returned to the Reading area.

Some would say the best location for it .................. mind others see it more cort de voir  Wink Grin

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #55 on: April 03, 2013, 19:54:54 »

Some would say the best location for it .................. mind others see it more cort de voir  Wink Grin

I came across a new one on Sunday ... there were buses leaving the station forecourt at Swindon for "Reading and Reading Only" ... and the pedant in me wondered about this other Reading station I hadn't heard of.  "General", yes.  "West", yes.  But "Only" ...

Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 03, 2013, 20:35:34 »

I came across a new one on Sunday ... there were buses leaving the station forecourt at Swindon for "Reading and Reading Only" ... and the pedant in me wondered about this other Reading station I hadn't heard of.  "General", yes.  "West", yes.  But "Only" ...
It's on the cort de voir

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 03, 2013, 21:43:59 »

It's on the cort de voir

Grin Grin Grin

Merci beaucoup, Didier Drogba!

Now, please!
swrural

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 04, 2013, 10:42:57 »

Or South?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #59 on: June 09, 2013, 08:50:48 »

And today it's Okehampton!

09:01 St James' Park to Okehampton due 09:52 This train will be started from Exeter Central.
This train will no longer call at St James' Park.
This is due to signalling problems.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14
  Print  

Jump to: