Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 18:55 25 Apr 2024
- Will Labour’s renationalisation plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Will Labour’s plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Labour pledges to renationalise most rail services
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningDelayed
18:37 Basingstoke to Reading
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 19:09:11 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[282] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[64] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[44] Cornish delays
[41] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[23] Where have I been?
[23] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
  Print  
Author Topic: Preventing suicide on the railways  (Read 28643 times)
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2012, 23:43:44 »

Apart from the human side of this, it must make sound commercial sense.

Now, please!
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2012, 19:40:17 »

A video news report, from the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

Samaritans train rail staff in lifesaving skills

The BBC has been given exclusive access to a course where the Samaritans are training rail staff to help save lives.

More than 230 people took their own life on Britain's railways last year - the highest number for 10 years.

The BBC's transport correspondent Richard Westcott reports.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2012, 08:17:54 »

I too wish the initiative well. Let's hope ut reduces the number 230 is one every roughly every 40 hours. A sobering thought.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2013, 19:31:41 »

It can be remarkably easy to have a big impact in this area. Many years ago the trustees of Clifton Suspension Bridge, concerned as well they might be by the number of people jumping off the bridge, had a single strand of wire installed running about 20cm above the handrail. The number of suiciders was reduced considerably, I believe, and the explanation appears to be that it made it just a bit harder to hop over the rail. The other feature visitors to the Suspension Bridge will notice is large signs giving details of how to contact the Samaritians.

The 'Rail News' aggregator on this site has really opened my eyes to the number of people who choose to end it all under a train, and the social and economic damage that it causes. How much would it cost, I wonder, to equip every medium and high-risk crossing point in Britain with a set of 'Samaritians' signs? And how much could potentially be saved?

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2013, 07:27:54 »

From The Guardian:

Quote from: The Guardian
Train stations set for changes in drive to cut rail suicides

Measures being introduced or considered include extra fencing between platforms, 'trespass bollards' and closer monitoring

Train passengers are about to see the biggest changes in station design for years, and will have their behaviour monitored more closely, as part of a drive to cut suicides on the railways, which last year numbered 238.

Extra fencing, removal of seats from the ends of platforms, more no-go areas painted with yellow cross-hatching, and "trespass bollards" where the interruption of infrared beams sets off alarms will be among the most visible alterations.

Less obvious may be the use of smart cameras programmed to identify unusual behaviour, already being trialled at one busy station, and sensor lighting for dark areas. Network Rail is also considering whether tracking people's movements via mobile phone signals would help to alert control rooms to potential incidents.

Nearly 5,000 rail staff have been on courses developed by the Samaritans to help them identify and approach potentially suicidal people. The charity also provides trauma support for train and railway workers.

The introduction of fencing to separate platforms for fast through trains from those for stopping services has started, with stations between Reading and London Paddington and Milton Keynes and Euston the first affected.

Other moves designed to provide psychological disincentives are on the way, as are station watch schemes along on the lines of neighbourhood watch anti-crime groups.

Posters advertising the Samaritans and dedicated telephones at stations have already been introduced. The removal of 700 level crossings over the past three years has helped cut easy access to tracks. For the first time, railways are recording suicide attempts that staff action or other interventions have prevented. There are thought to have been at least 50 in the past year.

Network Rail says the partnership ^ also involving British Transport police, train operating companies, and rail safety advisers ^ has helped keep annual suicide numbers static at 238 in each of the past two years. Disruption to train services, which costs about ^33m a year according to Network Rail, has fallen by nearly a quarter in 12 months, and total delays due to suicide attempts have fallen from more than 6,500 hours to under 5,000.

Training police officers who respond to fatal incidents to undertake initial crime scene tasks has helped cut the time for dealing with unexplained deaths on the railways by a third, to 84 minutes, a process helped by dedicated phone lines from train cabs allowing drivers to give initial descriptions of incidents.

Neil Henry, Network Rail's head of performance and operations, said: "From a purely economic point of view, there is a very strong business case which we don't deny. But there is certainly, too, a moral obligation, we feel, to do everything we can."

Trials of new measures were encouraging, he said. "You programme cameras, for example, to focus on somebody who has been in the same location for a long time, has been on a station for a long time, perhaps has been there when a train has come in and not got on ^ It will then alert people that have you have got somebody here that is acting out of the ordinary," said Henry.

The fencing along the middle of platforms was "not necessarily that difficult to get over but it is a barrier that may just change people's minds. There is evidence to suggest it does."

Henry said although the partnerships with the Samaritans had been in place for nearly three years, an industry conference on the issue in June had proved a turning point. "There was this noise going round that actually there is not much we can do, other than to restore the railways to normal working as quickly as possible. To prevent someone who is intent on taking their own life is too difficult. It was quite important to say some [suicide attempts] are preventable, we can really make a difference here."

Railways in other countries, including Denmark, the Netherlands, Australia and Canada, are looking at the UK (United Kingdom)'s progress. Rail suicides make up less than 4% of the UK total: there were 6,045 suicides in all in the UK in 2011, the highest total since 2004.

Police crime scene examiners normally attend unexplained or suspicious deaths, but 55 response officers in more remote areas have been equipped with forensic suits, cameras, swab kits and sterile evidence bags and have been trained to carry out body recovery and initial investigations. Coroners have been encouraged to standardise their procedures. "We ensure the respect due to the deceased but minimise disruption to the wider railway network", said chief inspector Tom Naughton, the officer leading the strategy.

Initial interviews with drivers were not "overly oppressive" or formal, he said, but together with other information gained from the scene, including an initial search of the body, could speed up investigations that were reviewed carefully later.

A pilot scheme in London is bringing in health professionals to police custody suites to assess those in mental distress, said Naughton. "If someone is on the railway and they are obviously trespassing, putting themselves in danger, our priority is to get them into a place of safety. We don't want people criminalised if they are in need of medical aid."

Rachel Kirby-Rider, executive director of fundraising and communications at Samaritans, called the developments "an outstanding example of co-operation between industry and the charity sector". The charity's research indicates that men in their 30-50s from disadvantaged backgrounds are at highest risk of dying by suicide, including on railways, and it is working with journalists to reduce "copycat" suicides though more responsible reporting.

"We are doing everything we can to let people know that anyone can call Samaritans at any time," she said. The Samaritans' 24-hour helpline is 08457 909090.

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2013, 07:51:52 »

Anything which reduces the number of fatalities on the railway is to be welcomed.

However the majority of incidents reported on here seem to be on stretches of line away from stations and I fear the trend for that will increase if stations are looked at as the article suggests.

I am not saying that is a case for not doing the work, but as it is not possible to make the railway secure from end to end people who are so desperate to end it all will sadly find another part of the railway to go to.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2013, 08:20:21 »

Anything which reduces the number of fatalities on the railway is to be welcomed.

However the majority of incidents reported on here seem to be on stretches of line away from stations and I fear the trend for that will increase if stations are looked at as the article suggests.

I am not saying that is a case for not doing the work, but as it is not possible to make the railway secure from end to end people who are so desperate to end it all will sadly find another part of the railway to go to.
I agree Bob that people intent on committing suicide will find a way, however the measures outlined in the article can only help as a deterrent, also at stations Like Hayes & Harlington, Southall etc which have narrow platforms these fences can only help with the general safety of passengers; it is a shame the removal of seating at remote ends of platforms is a necessary measure as there are many people who enjoy sitting there watching the world go by.

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2013, 09:49:23 »

I look forward to the introduction of these measures at Melksham. Quite frankly, any investment is welcome - although the removal of seating from the end of the platform is unfortunately likely to result in the removal of the only seat there is. On the positive side though, the introduction of a separate platform for through trains is definitely going to be a major improvement.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2013, 12:34:10 »

I'm sure the suicidal are really going to avoid cross-hatched areas.....waste of money.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2013, 13:59:46 »

I'm sure the suicidal are really going to avoid cross-hatched areas.....waste of money.

I am sure that NR» (Network Rail - home page) have been taking advice from Samaritans they have a great deal of understanding of the psychology of suicidal people, it could be that something as simple as yellow hatched lines acts as a deterrent.

Then again the hatching might just be for the benefit of the non suicidal, to warn the normal passenger that space is a bit tight go stand somewhere else. 

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2013, 11:08:53 »

"A decade of data" article from The Guardian.

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Oxman
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2013, 16:09:10 »

BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) has done a report that looks at suicides on the railway and gives an example of the effectiveness of this initiative:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-25036838

Too long to quote. It is a trail for a radio programme being broadcast this evening:

"Listen to BBC Radio 5 live: Life on the Line at 10:00 GMT on Monday 25 November and 21:00 GMT on Sunday 1 December, or catch it later on iPlayer."
stebbo

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2013, 14:04:37 »

I fully agree that this is most sobering. What torment must go through the victim's mind and the utter horror experienced by the train driver - awful. Not forgetting that train drivers can get killed or injured especially at level crossings

But I also noticed that Network Rail gets fined for the delays caused by each incident which seems beyond the pail so there is another side to this coin. I agree that in some cases a suicide might be prevented by better fencing and the like but you can't keep people out of stations; and you can see from other threads on this site what can happen on crossings where people are meant to be on the railway, albeit for a short time.

I understand that NR» (Network Rail - home page) is meant to be responsible for the track and signalling but why do they get punished as a result of these most distressing episodes. It just seems warped.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2013, 15:43:33 »

I understand that NR» (Network Rail - home page) is meant to be responsible for the track and signalling but why do they get punished as a result of these most distressing episodes. It just seems warped.

It's nothing to do with punishment. There is a cost to be paid by someone, both for the disruption and (e.g. if a vehicle is involved) for track repairs. It's just a lot easier to keep the same system as for an infrastructure failure, so NR pay rather than TOCs (Train Operating Company) or passengers - who would probably not understand if it was different. NR then budget for the cost, which will presumably end up being paid for in fares via track access charges anyway. I'm not sure who pays for damage to trains.
stebbo

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2013, 10:42:31 »

I understand. I just find it rather warped.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
  Print  

Jump to: