27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 00:06:45 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[174] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[112] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[63] Where have I been?
[62] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[52] Death of another bus station?
[46] Penalty fares on Severn Beach Line

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Shiplake level crossing incidents - merged topics  (Read 22142 times)
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2012, 18:08:27 »

Thanks for posting that item of news, autotank.

I've taken the opportunity to merge a few topics here - all on the subject of the Shiplake level crossing and its (mis)use - purely in the interests of continuity and for ease of future reference.

Chris.  Smiley

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2012, 18:21:15 »

The Henley Standard is reporting that the crossing at Shiplake is to get barrier by the end of the Summer. The corssing has been the scene of many incidents over the last few years so this is a welcome move. Disappointing that NR» (Network Rail - home page) are having to pick up the bill though as all the collisions have been the fault of motorists and not the railway! Surely road users should have to make some contribution towards the extra safety measures?

Here is the story:

http://www.henleystandard.co.uk/news/news.php?id=37432

That's were Sir David's bonus is being spent ............ on the line that gets him to work!  or am I just a cynic

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2012, 22:35:54 »

From the Daily Mail:

Colour-blind driver's miracle escape as train crushes his car when he failed to spot red flashing lights at a level crossing

A colour-blind motorist failed to spot red flashing lights at a level crossing just moments before his car was pushed 30ft along a track by an oncoming train.

The Peugeot car belonging to 59-year-old furniture designer Philip Koomen was crushed and dragged along as the driver of the First Great Western train slammed on the brakes. He broke his arm in the drama.

Koomen said that he had not seen the warning lights as he drove up to the unmanned crossing, which had no barriers and which London Mayor Boris Johnson had highlighted as a safety concern as far back as 2006, when he was MP (Member of Parliament) for the local area.

The shaken driver was hauled from the mangled wreckage after firefighters cut off the car^s roof, driver^s door and boot to allow rescuers to clamber inside.

He was lucky to escape the horror collision with just a fractured arm and none of the 20 passengers on board the train were harmed.

On Thursday he admitted a charge of dangerous driving following the collision close to Shiplake railway station on the outskirts of Henley-on-Thames, South Oxfordshire.

The collision happened just hours after British Transport Police officers had been standing, giving safety advice to motorists as they negotiated the same crossing.

The man^s car was hit by the 18:17 Henley to Twyford service, which was travelling at about 20mph at the time of the impact.

'As he approached the level crossing the light to indicate the train was approaching was on. However Dr Koomen failed to stop and after 37 seconds of the lights flashing he had crossed the level crossing,' said Julian Lynch, prosecuting. 'At the same moment, the train was approaching from Henley-on-Thames and struck Dr Koomen^s vehicle, pulling it ten metres down the track and causing damage to the car, to the train and injuring Dr Koomen.'

It was estimated that the crash had caused more than ^80,000 pounds worth of damage and brought that stretch of the rail network to a standstill.

Some 16 trains were cancelled, four were partly cancelled and more trains were delayed with the track having to be closed for 11 hours while repair work could take place.

Bystanders said they had seen the lights flashing at the crossing as Dr Koomen^s car approached, and thought that the Peugeot 307 would stop, only to hear a loud bang as the train hit the moving vehicle.

Train driver Paul Conduit said he had slowed the train down from 50mph as he approached Shiplake station, but had not seen Koomen^s car as it had been in his blind spot.

'As I was going over the crossing I heard a big bang,' he said in a statement. 'I immediately put on my brakes. I looked out of the window and saw a silver estate car dragged ten to 15 metres.'

In his police interview Koomen, who has a PhD in design, said he had known there was a level crossing in the area and had been expecting to see signage to warn him of the hazard ahead.

He had slowed down to less than 15mph in preparation, and although he had seen a single 'pulsating' light, he did not think this was the warning light on the crossing.

Magistrates sitting in Oxford heard that he was colour bind and had difficulty differentiating between red and amber coloured lights.

'I^m looking for evidence of another light to tell me it^s a warning sign and I continued thinking "^this isn^t a crossroad - it must be further down," he told police in his statement. 'I knew it was about 100 metres to the crossroad. I didn^t know exactly where the crossroad was positioned, I^m looking for evidence that the crossroad is nearby. I^m aware there is no barrier. The next moment there is a crash and I have no awareness I have crossed into a train.'

David Bright, defending, told the court that safety concerns had been raised about the crossing as there had been several near misses in the past decade.

He said that in October 2006 Boris Johnson, then MP for Henley, had raised a question in Parliament calling for it to be made safer.

As well as a lack of safety barriers, Mr Bright said the lights could be obscured by foliage and had been tilted away from oncoming traffic - making them difficult for Koomen to identify in the dark.

'This clearly does not provide a problem for local residents, but for a stranger approaching the crossing from the side Dr Koomen was approaching is hazardous,' he said. He added: 'An angled light appeared to be a pulsating light. He was mistaken. As the court will know, the law is clear: making a mistake is not a defence and he has pleaded guilty.'

Mr Bright said that since Koomen^s crash on November 17, last year, safety barriers had been installed at the crossing.

Presiding magistrate Claire McGlashan said that grey-haried Koomen, of Abingdon in Oxfordshire, had been lucky not to have been killed in the crash.

'You caused major disruption to passenger services for about 12 hours and extensive damage,' she said to bespectacled Koomen, who stood solemnly in the dock, smartly dressed in a shirt and tie. However, no-one else was injured and your action was not deliberate.'

She told Koomen that he would have to pay a ^1,500 pounds fine, as well as ^775 pounds in court costs and a ^15 pounds victim surcharge within the next week.

He was also banned from driving for a year and told that he would have to sit an extended test before being allowed a new licence.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2012, 09:19:53 »

From the Daily Mail:

Magistrates sitting in Oxford heard that he was colour bind and had difficulty differentiating between red and amber coloured lights.

He was also banned from driving for a year and told that he would have to sit an extended test before being allowed a new licence.

Er... why is he even allowed to have a licence?

Paul

autotank
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2012, 10:21:43 »

Anyone know when the barriers are due to be installed at Shiplake? I heard it was this summer, but no sign of any work yet.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2012, 14:26:23 »

The Daily Mail story says they are already in place, but I'm not sure that is correct.

Local resident, Network Rail boss Sir David Higgins, said in April that barriers would be in place by the end of the summer.

http://www.henleystandard.co.uk/news/news.php?id=1087116

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2012, 16:01:20 »

Er... why is he even allowed to have a licence?

Colour blindness is not a bar to having a driving licence. You don't even have to inform DVLA (Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency) if you have the condition.

Stupidity should perhaps be a bar to holding a licence though. A mature, well educated man, who's probably been driving for decades, not knowing what side by side double flashing lights (whatever colour they are perceived as) mean on the highway? If ANY of the three lights are showing, you must stop.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2012, 10:30:24 »

An initiative by NR» (Network Rail - home page) and BTP (British Transport Police) has been launched to try and educate and prosecute people who misuse level crossings, including the Shiplake one:

http://www.networkrailmediacentre.co.uk/News-Releases/7208/New-technology-to-combat-level-crossing-misuse

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2012, 20:20:06 »

Thanks for posting that item, II.  Wink

In the past few weeks, the van visited Thatcham level crossing and three drivers are now being prosecuted by the British Transport Police after crossing when the lights were flashing.

Ah, yes: Thatcham Crossing.  Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Western Explorer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2012, 21:06:12 »

The NR» (Network Rail - home page) links are now defunct.
Oxman
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2013, 19:55:27 »

NR» (Network Rail - home page) has now installed half barriers at Shiplake.

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-21830412
coachflyer

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2013, 20:31:37 »

Picture of the new barriers from Network Rail.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: