11:09 Gloucester to Weymouth
14:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
15:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 20, 2024, 14:17:16 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[279] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[220] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[109] On reservations, fees and supplements - Interrail
[37] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[33] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[16] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Train delay means I miss appointment - can I claim refund???  (Read 18291 times)
amiddl

View Profile
« on: January 30, 2010, 22:04:15 »

I traveled from Theale (to avoid the rail relief bus service) to Burgess Hill via Reading/Clapham Junction today for an appointment at 14.00hrs.  Unfortunately, someone was hit by a train (not sure whether suicide or accident) and the train I was traveling on between Clapham Junction and Burgess Hill sat in East Croydon for nearly two hours before being canceled and all the passengers being crammed into a very full Brighton service.

Net result - rather than arrive at 13.00 with an hour to spare I arrived over an hour late and missed the appointment and had to turn round and come straight back. Having spent five hours traveling there I then spent a further three hours coming back and need to travel back in the future for a new appointment with the purchase of a new ticket.

I feel somewhat bad asking this bearing in mind the nature of the delay but should I request a refund Huh  Against this I got there (eventually) however I need to buy another ticket and travel again because I could not get there in time due to the delay.

What do people think and where do i stand???

Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 22:19:17 »

Firstly, sorry to hear about the incident and the knock-on effect you experienced with missing your meeting.

I believe this falls into "factors outside the control of the Railway" and therefore I do not believe you are entitled to a refund.  At the end of the day it is FGW (First Great Western)'s responsibility to get you to your destination (which they did).

I understand you are inconvenienced having to pay out twice, but the flip side also is, why should FGW lose revenue because someone (assuming it was suicide) decided to get hit by a train?

If you had driven and missed the meeting due to a hold-up from an accident, you would not be able to claim petrol expenses of having to drive twice would you?

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
amiddl

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 22:29:09 »

Put that way - one can't argue. Yes if I had driven I wouldn't have claimed petrol back if there had been an accident.

It does show how (again presuming that it was suicide) apart from the very unpleasant impact on train crews and staff, the knock effect can affect many in many different ways.
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 22:35:32 »

I understand you are inconvenienced having to pay out twice, but the flip side also is, why should FGW (First Great Western) lose revenue because someone (assuming it was suicide) decided to get hit by a train?

That is why I think the railways should have first call on the estate of anyone killed on the railway by suicide or trespass.

1. They get compensation

2. Since most survived suicides say they were only thinking of their family then it may make them think twice if they know their loved ones would be left on the breadline (remember its the suicidee that is at fault here not the train company)

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2010, 23:01:38 »

I understand you are inconvenienced having to pay out twice, but the flip side also is, why should FGW (First Great Western) lose revenue because someone (assuming it was suicide) decided to get hit by a train?

That is why I think the railways should have first call on the estate of anyone killed on the railway by suicide or trespass.

1. They get compensation

2. Since most survived suicides say they were only thinking of their family then it may make them think twice if they know their loved ones would be left on the breadline (remember its the suicidee that is at fault here not the train company)
Very callous view, the family have lost a loved one perhaps the bread winner and then they a penalised for an action they had not control of and I suspect if the railways had such powers I doubt they would ever exercise them

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2010, 23:04:52 »

1. They get compensation

Very callous view, the family have lost a loved one perhaps the bread winner and then they a penalised for an action they had not control of and I suspect if the railways had such powers I doubt they would ever exercise them

Possibly callus but realistic.  Suicide is the cowards way out and it may make them think twice or at least choose a means that does not inconvenience thousands of others in the process.

But then I do think people who cause road accident should be sued by the hospitals for their treatment, people caught up in the tail back for their inconvenience.  They may learn to be responsible

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

super tm

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2010, 23:08:10 »

Yes you can.

If the train that was delayed was a southern service they now operate delay repay which gives some refund for any journey delayed for any reason :-

http://www.southernrailway.com/your-journey/delay-repay/

This is a scheme which will come into effect for all franchises as they are renewed.

I will stick my neck out and say I dont agree with giving a refund in the case of a suicide.  I mean how can the railway do anything about that.  Also as the railways are subsidised then effectively it is taxpayers who are paying for the refund.  People dont get a refund from the government when there has been a road accident and they are delayed so I dont see why the government should give out money when there is a suicide on the railway.  People may not agree but that is my point of view.
matt473

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2010, 23:12:25 »

Not wishing to start an argument on what can be a distressing subject, but even if the estate were to pas to the railways then paasengers would not see any of it. The driver affected would need to be consolled and lost wages accounted for to due the event, then you have the trauma of people who have to clean the track and the train, and finally you have the TOC (Train Operating Company) who have a train that they need to repair.

In my personal opinion, apart from those directly affected by the accident, no third party should have any claim to the estate which means sadly passangers lose out, but want do you really expect railway companies to do?
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2010, 23:20:04 »

Possibly callus but realistic.  Suicide is the cowards way out and it may make them think twice or at least choose a means that does not inconvenience thousands of others in the process.

But then I do think people who cause road accident should be sued by the hospitals for their treatment, people caught up in the tail back for their inconvenience.  They may learn to be responsible

My personal view, not an admin intervention:

To follow that line of reasoning: Anyone who may have been delayed on a motorway because someone chose to end their life by deliberately driving into a concrete bridge support should have a financial claim on the deceased's estate?

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2010, 23:40:50 »

To follow that line of reasoning: Anyone who may have been delayed on a motorway because someone chose to end their life by deliberately driving into a concrete bridge support should have a financial claim on the deceased's estate?

yes - there are many ways to kill yourself that do not involve inconveniencing thousands.

It won't stop them but they may think twice about their means of doing so

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2010, 23:47:19 »

Hmm.  The closing of the motorway while the emergency services scrape body parts off the concrete doesn't involve any inconvenience to anyone?  I'm not convinced - I'd sue their estate, in such a case.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2010, 23:53:56 »

Hmm.  The closing of the motorway while the emergency services scrape body parts off the concrete doesn't involve any inconvenience to anyone?  I'm not convinced - I'd sue their estate, in such a case.
You misunderstood I THINK

WHOEVER caused the incident should be liable for their estate or insurance to be sued. Mainly in the cases of suicide or DUI IMHO (in my humble opinion) but that suits my politics.

If you deliberately cause a problem - your estate THEN insurance should pay

It gets very grey into non causative accidents and then  I'll plead two faced argument as unless there is intent (and suicide and DUI both show intent) I cant make a case for it

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2010, 00:10:02 »

Why should an insurer pay out if an individual has made a conscious decision to drive into a concrete bridge support on a motorway as a means of ending their own life?

That completely negates your argument that an individual would think twice before doing so if they thought their dependants would suffer financially from their action.

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2010, 00:27:32 »

I broadly share FA's sentiments.

A call on the estate of a a suicide, or a financial penalty on a failed suicide may act as a deterrent to someone wishing to end their life.

However, part of the problem is that suicides who go for the spectactular are often sitcking up a final two fingers to the world. They have little care for the consequences of their action and putting a punitive punishment of their immediately family by sequestering the estate would be a double punishment for the relatives of someone who goes to thier grave in bits.

What we are almost ultimately dealing with here is people who are suffering mental health problems. And this is a very difficult group to legislate against. Just look at the statistics for people suffering at least one mental health problem in their lifetime. Mental health problems are no respecter of class or status. High-flyer, middle class family man with 2.4 children, single mum - all can reach that breaking point, when they feel that the world would be better without them.

I'm kinda shooting down my own arguement here. Essentially what I'm saying is the I agree with FA's point, but I see little headway in making it a law.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
chrisoates

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2010, 02:20:29 »

1. They get compensation

Already happens - traffic accident treatment can be chargeable
http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/your_world/travel/traffic_accidents.htm#payment_for_hospital_treatment
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: