Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 17:35 28 Mar 2024
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
* Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
14:49 Plymouth to Cardiff Central
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
Delayed
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 17:43:54 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: FGW approach to checking of tickets  (Read 22422 times)
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2007, 15:37:35 »

wait, FGW (First Great Western) check tickets on HST (High Speed Train)'s to london? Are you sure about this?

i havn't been checked for at least the last year...

Yep.

0634 shrub hill to Paddington - usually checked just after Oxford

1822  Paddington to shrub hill - first class always checked in first 20-30 minutes - certainly before you get to Reading.

0552 from shrub to PAddington - frequent checks

1922 paddingtont o shrub hill - so busy I doubt the manager can get through

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
Conner

08436 at Corfe Castle on the Swanage Railway

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2007, 16:20:40 »

In Cornwall HST (High Speed Train) guards hardly ever check tickets. I dont think they can be bovered to walk the length of the train. On HST's from London the guard is in the buffet,which is usually closed, and just walks to coach E to open the doors and usually lets platform staff do all the work.
But as long as a local train isnt busy or late your tickets get checked. On the Falmouth branch the other weekend there was a revenue inspector and when the train got busy from Falmouth to Truro she and the guard were both checking tickets. Going back on the mainline to Camborne she also got on that and did an "all tickets please" check.
Once when I was travelling to London with my family we had to get the Cardiff service(pre December 06 timetable but still FGW (First Great Western)) and change at Taunton and the guard just walked straight past us thinking he'd already checked our tickets and didn't we get checked all the way to Taunton. If you're checking tickets on a two-carriage train surely you have a rough idea where people were sitting and atleast ask.
gaf71

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2007, 17:36:10 »

wait, FGW (First Great Western) check tickets on HST (High Speed Train)'s to london? Are you sure about this?

i havn't been checked for at least the last year...
Im a conductor on the local 'west' services and would just like to say that I and most of my colleagues at my depot will always do a full ticket check after principal stations, and a 'call over' check after any station where a passenger boards. It seems there are different rules for us and the HST train managers judging by the comments on this thread!
Please note i did say 'most' as there are also some lazy gits on the local services.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2007, 17:43:22 »

I always get checked on local services and in First Class. Its rare to get checked on the quiet HSTs (High Speed Train) that I sometimes board and i've had AP and the guard has believed a friend that I was on them. Shows they aren't bothred.
TerminalJunkie

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2007, 18:47:07 »

Quote from: gaf71
Im a conductor on the local 'west' services and would just like to say that I and most of my colleagues at my depot will always do a full ticket check after principal stations, and a 'call over' check after any station where a passenger boards. [...]
Please note i did say 'most' as there are also some lazy gits on the local services.

Apropos of nothing in particular, whatever happened to Dave Andrews? Wink

Daily Mail and Daily Express readers please click here.
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2007, 20:59:03 »

The local Conductors do ten time more work than nearly all "train managers" on HST (High Speed Train)'s, (and I did say NEARLY then, there are a few TM(resolve)'s that pull their weight, most seem to be from Penzance depot) if you need to find the TM they can usually be found sat in coach F drinking tea! and they get ^4k per year more than "local" conductors!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
gaf71

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2007, 18:00:35 »

Quote from: gaf71
Im a conductor on the local 'west' services and would just like to say that I and most of my colleagues at my depot will always do a full ticket check after principal stations, and a 'call over' check after any station where a passenger boards. [...]

Apropos of nothing in particular, whatever happened to Dave Andrews? Wink
Dave Andrews was 'asked' to leave a couple of years ago, read into that what you like. Wink
dog box

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2007, 22:01:11 »

The local Conductors do ten time more work than nearly all "train managers" on HST (High Speed Train)'s, (and I did say NEARLY then, there are a few TM(resolve)'s that pull their weight, most seem to be from Penzance depot) if you need to find the TM they can usually be found sat in coach F drinking tea! and they get ^4k per year more than "local" conductors!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Think you will find Fgw T/Ms have a supervisory role over other on train staff so prehaps thats why they get paid more and as HSTs stop at short platforms, so when travelling on the down lines and the Train isnt reverse formation the T/M needs to be at in the rear of the train.

All postings reflect my own personal views and opinions and are not intended to be, nor should be taken as official statements of first great western or first group policy
jester

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2007, 22:17:09 »

How much more money??  Supervising what other on-board staff! I take it u mean the usually non-existent buffet staff. At least most times when I have travelled they are invisible.
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2007, 10:05:48 »

Usually TM(resolve)'s are sat either in TGS or in Coach F doin bugger all! some TM's do manage to do their tickets so if these few can do it then so can all the others!
Tickets Please

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2007, 15:42:18 »

How much more money??  Supervising what other on-board staff! I take it u mean the usually non-existent buffet staff. At least most times when I have travelled they are invisible.

basic salary according to the fgw www site is 27k but with overtime etc realistic earnings are between 32k and 46k depending on how many days off are worked.

Any comments made are mine and not that of my employer. My comments do not necessarily reflect the views of my employers and should be taken as my personal opinion.
oooooo

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2007, 18:00:42 »

basic salary according to the fgw www site is 27k but with overtime etc realistic earnings are between 32k and 46k depending on how many days off are worked.

Compared with just under ^22K for a 'conductor'
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2007, 20:45:25 »

Conductors get commission on ticket sales though! But they have to take ^2200 in a 4 week period before they start earning commission though!
Tickets Please

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2007, 21:39:11 »

Conductors get commission on ticket sales though! But they have to take ^2200 in a 4 week period before they start earning commission though!

TM(resolve)'s get %1 of all on train revenue (buffet and ticket sales) but its not personally based. Every TM in FGW (First Great Western) gets the same commision payment. There are talks at present about making everyones conditions equal (ex-Wessex, ex-Link/Thames and ex-Great Western) so that might change. But at present it remains at %1 of the period total.

Any comments made are mine and not that of my employer. My comments do not necessarily reflect the views of my employers and should be taken as my personal opinion.
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2007, 22:51:44 »

Usually TM(resolve)'s are sat either in TGS or in Coach F doin bugger all! some TM's do manage to do their tickets so if these few can do it then so can all the others!

Have to say I had a very helpful TM on the 14:45 from pad to swansea

He eventually got around to the ticket check sometime after swindon (I suspect when I walked past him from first class in jogging bottoms because he seemed to eyeball me).

I asked if I got an honesty discount - my season ticket covered me to reading where the routes technically diverge - according to the ticket office. I could easily have said I got on at swindon. Normally a return to ludlow from reading is ^46ish.   I showed him my season ticket and he gave me a return to ludlow from oxford which was only ^36 - ticket office swears this not possible since the south wales trains do not stop at oxford.

This gets more confusing by the day!

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: