I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 21:15 28 Mar 2024
* Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
- Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
18:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
19:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:20 Reading to Shalford
20:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
21:30 Shalford to Reading
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:11 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 21:21:09 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[104] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[103] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[78] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Return of the BRUTE?
[25] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: FGW approach to checking of tickets  (Read 22426 times)
Jim

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2007, 07:56:28 »

Well, I went on 5 HST (High Speed Train)'s yesterday and got checked once
I went on 2 Local Units yesterday and got checked twice!

Cheers
Jim Smiley
AG's most famous quote "It'll be better next week"
Conner

08436 at Corfe Castle on the Swanage Railway

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2007, 09:05:41 »

I went on 6 local units and got checked 5 times.
I went on 7 HST's and got checked 4 times.
Jim

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2007, 09:09:51 »

Bit of a 'mega bash' so to speak there wasn't it? Tongue

Cheers
Jim Smiley
Conner

08436 at Corfe Castle on the Swanage Railway

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2007, 15:23:05 »

Bit of a 'mega bash' so to speak there wasn't it? Tongue
Stuck in Cornwall.
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2007, 18:02:08 »

17:09 Newport to Paddington ......... nota single check so far and no sign the TM(resolve) is in any hurry to do one

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2007, 19:22:31 »

Don't expect miracles at that time of day.

The only time TMs(resolve) do ticket checks is when the train is actually busy - but not wedged in order to 'ching' as many people as possible.
Shazz

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2007, 21:38:01 »

I've actually had my tickets checked recently, shock horror! (for the first time in a year)
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2007, 13:09:18 »

Of course, to explain what the Train Managers's job is to those of you who think that they are a ticket inspector that blows a whistle every so often...

The train guard has got many tasks to perform, and the safe running of the train is their main one. Ticket checking is not the priority - or even 2nd or 3rd in line. It's what gets done after the train is safely dispatched from the station, passenger information is given, issues concerning passengers that boarded are sorted, seeing where the wheelchair-bound are going & arranging assistance at their destination, telling the yanks with 4 huge cases thay can't block the asile with them, sorting out occupied seats for passengers with reservations, answering bone questions about what time we get to Bath, listening to whinges about the train being late two days ago or "why wasn't I told by platform staff this is not the Newbury train", asking control to hold connections if we are late, finding out why we are late, even when we are on time having to tell passengers we are on time, it's their watch that is wrong, and then, if there is time before the next stop, checking a few tickets...

Of course, I COULD do a full ticket check before unlocking the doors ar each station, or just unlock one door and then check everybodys ticket before boarding - all those in favour say "Aye"...

On the run from Bristol to London, I personally try to check tickets as often as possible.  With approx 15 minutes between stops, I can get 2 carriages done between stops if they are full, and I am working hard to do that.  And that is just checking - sorting out selling tickets, or answering bone questions about connections that idiots should have found out before getting on the train in the first place (conditions of carriage, it is up to YOU to ensure you have the journey details before starting the journey - and how the hell should I know the numbers of a bus routes in Oxford, to quote one dumb-ass question I was asked last week), and it slows it down further.

And just to defend the new TM(resolve)'s in Bristol and Padd, they do check tickets, and they have been put out to work as otherwise trains would be getting cancelled due to no train managers at all - better a train with some fare dodgers than no train at all.

What there needs to be is more Revenue Inspectors, but they will only hunt in pairs or trios, meaning even less trains are covered by them.
I don't think anyone is doubting that the TM's have a lot to do, but there are a lot of TM's in the Westcountry who spend their entire turn sat in "F" not doing any of the above! I know, I work on HST (High Speed Train)'s sometimes and see it for myself!
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2007, 17:18:23 »

It certainly is the case, i've been sat in F whilst the TM(resolve) and his ticket inspector occupied a table from Bodmin - Newquay and return!

He even left his door in coach F open when closing a door in standard at Par and hence delaying a train that miraculously made it from Newquay - Par on time!
John R

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2007, 19:40:52 »

I boarded a Bristol bound train at Nailsea on Saturday, without having purchased a ticket as I needed a GroupSave. The TM(resolve) closed the doors and went straight into the rear cab for the rest of the journey. Although I would have been OK as the ticket I wanted was not available from the machine, it occurred to me as I queued for 15 minutes at the barrier at TM that when penalty fare collectors start appearing (have they?), FGW (First Great Western) do make it difficult for you to buy a ticket sometimes.

Interestingly tickets purchased at barriers now state on the back that you would have got a penalty fare if a penalty fare collector had been on the train.

Jim

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2007, 20:07:08 »

I boarded a Bristol bound train at Nailsea on Saturday, without having purchased a ticket as I needed a GroupSave. The TM(resolve) closed the doors and went straight into the rear cab for the rest of the journey. Although I would have been OK as the ticket I wanted was not available from the machine, it occurred to me as I queued for 15 minutes at the barrier at TM that when penalty fare collectors start appearing (have they?), FGW (First Great Western) do make it difficult for you to buy a ticket sometimes.

Interestingly tickets purchased at barriers now state on the back that you would have got a penalty fare if a penalty fare collector had been on the train.

Standard Avantix (Ticket Issuing System used on board trains) Ticket roll ATM(resolve). RSP 9299/PEN

Cheers
Jim Smiley
Tickets Please

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2007, 20:19:14 »

Of course, to explain what the Train Managers's job is to those of you who think that they are a ticket inspector that blows a whistle every so often...

The train guard has got many tasks to perform, and the safe running of the train is their main one. Ticket checking is not the priority - or even 2nd or 3rd in line. It's what gets done after the train is safely dispatched from the station, passenger information is given, issues concerning passengers that boarded are sorted, seeing where the wheelchair-bound are going & arranging assistance at their destination, telling the yanks with 4 huge cases thay can't block the asile with them, sorting out occupied seats for passengers with reservations, answering bone questions about what time we get to Bath, listening to whinges about the train being late two days ago or "why wasn't I told by platform staff this is not the Newbury train", asking control to hold connections if we are late, finding out why we are late, even when we are on time having to tell passengers we are on time, it's their watch that is wrong, and then, if there is time before the next stop, checking a few tickets...

Of course, I COULD do a full ticket check before unlocking the doors ar each station, or just unlock one door and then check everybodys ticket before boarding - all those in favour say "Aye"...

On the run from Bristol to London, I personally try to check tickets as often as possible.  With approx 15 minutes between stops, I can get 2 carriages done between stops if they are full, and I am working hard to do that.  And that is just checking - sorting out selling tickets, or answering bone questions about connections that idiots should have found out before getting on the train in the first place (conditions of carriage, it is up to YOU to ensure you have the journey details before starting the journey - and how the hell should I know the numbers of a bus routes in Oxford, to quote one dumb-ass question I was asked last week), and it slows it down further.

And just to defend the new TM(resolve)'s in Bristol and Padd, they do check tickets, and they have been put out to work as otherwise trains would be getting cancelled due to no train managers at all - better a train with some fare dodgers than no train at all.

What there needs to be is more Revenue Inspectors, but they will only hunt in pairs or trios, meaning even less trains are covered by them.
I don't think anyone is doubting that the TM's have a lot to do, but there are a lot of TM's in the Westcountry who spend their entire turn sat in "F" not doing any of the above! I know, I work on HST (High Speed Train)'s sometimes and see it for myself!

you 'work' on HST's - what do you do then?

Any comments made are mine and not that of my employer. My comments do not necessarily reflect the views of my employers and should be taken as my personal opinion.
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2007, 12:57:36 »

you 'work' on HST's - what do you do then?
Without giving too much away, part of my job involves checking tickets, I can't say too much because I can be in trouble if my managers find out that i'm on this forum and I don't wan't them to find out who I am! If you travel by train a lot anywhere between Bristol/Reading/Exeter/Plymouth then you've probably met me. I've said too much!!
BandHcommuter

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2007, 14:40:47 »

On the train I most frequently travel home on (1806 from Paddington, which leaves from an ungated platform) I am only guaranteed a ticket check if one particular conductor happens to be on duty. Interestingly, it is the same conductor who is visibly available to passengers on the platform before departure, who makes helpful announcements about ticket validity before the train leaves, and who will walk through a fairly crowded train on departure to check everyone is OK. It may even be you, flamingo! The point is that some train crew seem to embrace their full range of duties with the customer at front of mind, whereas others limit themselves to the operational and safety-related elements of their role. I wonder if FGW (First Great Western) undertake mystery shopper surveys to measure consistency of service quality on train?
smokey

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 29, 2007, 14:49:25 »

It's not just FGW (First Great Western), back in the old days of Virgin Cross Country (well last Month) I remember well traveling from Edinburgh to Bodmin Parkway, journey time LONG total ticket checks NIL get the picture?
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: