I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 00:55 29 Mar 2024
- Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
- Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningShort Run
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 01:08:44 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[98] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[97] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[86] Return of the BRUTE?
[74] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[23] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 10:30 BTM - Didcot Sat 13 Feb  (Read 6985 times)
The Grecian

View Profile
« on: February 10, 2010, 19:35:49 »

I'm planning to go up to London from Temple Meads on Saturday 13 th Feb and to get a cheaper ticket but still have some flexibility I was planning to split my ticket at Didcot and catch the 1030 from Bristol. However, train running information on the FGW (First Great Western) and NR» (Network Rail - home page) websites doesn't show it as running, yet the 0930, 1130 and 1230 are all shown running as normal. A glance at the engineering works schedule doesn't shed any light. I also checked whether it's skipping Didcot and it doesn't seem to be running at all.

Is this likely to be a glitch or is there a reason why this isn't running? Huh
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 21:44:52 »

Agreed, there's no sign of it in the timetables. A complete guess, but Bristol City are playing Sheffield United in the Coca Cola Cup that day - maybe the supporters club have hired it?
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 02:06:07 »

Hmm. That's odd. No sign of any 1030 BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) - PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) on 13 Feb. I'd be surprised if it's anything to do with engineering work, as 1000 and 1100 services are running normal route. Looks like there's Six Nations rugby on at the Milllennium stadium but that shouldn't bother you because you'll be going against the big flow in both directions.

Option 1. Phone FGW (First Great Western) customer relations, 08457 000 125 and speak to an adviser (don't select the option for train times and fares, as that will direct you to NRES (National Rail Enquiry Service) who will probably be as much use as the proverbial handbrake on the equally proverbial canoe for this query). My past experience has been that the customer relations staff are incredibly helpful with this kind of question about timetable oddities, to the extent of calling FGW control to find out what the game plan is if necessary.

Option 2. If the 1030 BRI-PAD really has temporarily vanished into the ether for the weekend, you could take the 1000 or 1100, which arrive Swindon at 1039 or 1139, then change into the 1129 SWI» (Swindon - next trains)-PAD (ex-SWA» (Swansea - next trains)) or the 1204 SWI-PAD (ex-CNM» (Cheltenham Spa - next trains)), both of which call Didcot on the way. Or of course get up a bit earlier and catch the 0930!

Bear in mind that if you do opt for the change at Swindon, you'll be introducing a lot of extra hassle and waiting around for what it a relatively modest saving: ^48.80 SVR, vs ^18.80 CDR (Off Peak Day Return [ticket type] (formerly 'Cheap Day')) BRI-DID» (Didcot Parkway - next trains) + ^20.00 CDR DID-PAD for a total of ^38.80 with the split.
readytostart

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 03:32:08 »

It's still showing if you look for it as the 0902 from WSM to PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains), calling at all the usual suspects.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 04:06:00 »

I think there is a bug in there somewhere. The 1030 wasn't showing on the departure screens today (Weds 10th Feb). It were deffo running, because I caught it to Swindon. I pointed out to the staff in the Info office on Platform 3 that it weren't showing; a quick call to whoever and it reappeared briefly. By the time I'd walked to Platform 15, it had disappeared from the screens again, and was not showing on the on the platform rolling display* either. It appeared and disappeared a second time before departure as well.

*What are these displays called? I've heard them referred to as 'Roly Poly's', 'Dot Matrix' and plain old 'Customer Information Displays'

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
TerminalJunkie

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 07:35:38 »

It's still showing if you look for it as the 0902 from WSM to PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains), calling at all the usual suspects.

That's the 0930 from BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) - he's looking for the 1030...

...which apparently doesn't run on the 13th:

« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 07:43:30 by TerminalJunkie » Logged

Daily Mail and Daily Express readers please click here.
super tm

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 09:43:10 »

With Wales playing rugby in Cardiff and Cardiff playing in the FA cup at Chelsea the most likely reason is to release an HST (High Speed Train) to provide an extra service to on eof these event.  I suspect it will be a special Newport to Cardiff EHST to Swansea and a special back to Cardiff.
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010, 10:24:40 »

With Wales playing rugby in Cardiff and Cardiff playing in the FA cup at Chelsea the most likely reason is to release an HST (High Speed Train) to provide an extra service to on eof these event.  I suspect it will be a special Newport to Cardiff EHST to Swansea and a special back to Cardiff.

Much as I surmised at the top of this thread, then. Wrong sport but right principle.

Just out of interest, how are these specials arranged? Does FGW (First Great Western) have someone looking out for big events they might have to react to, or do organisations have to contact them in advance to arrange a special to be laid on?
Deltic

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2010, 11:26:44 »

I have to confess to being rather uncomfortable with service trains being "cancelled" or at least removed from the timetable to run specials.  I would have thought that there is enough charter stock to provide the additional services required in connection with the rugby, particularly on a Saturday in February when there is unlikely to be other demands. 

Is it an indicator of how little redundancy there is in FGW (First Great Western)'s stock that there are no spare HSTs (High Speed Train) on this date to provide the service?  Not even enough to provide the scheduled service on the Cotswold Line according to other threads.  Presumably the fact that they have flagged up that the train won't be running on that date avoids any performance penalties.

What about the return working?  Are there other non-runners on that day?
super tm

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2010, 12:26:43 »

Is fairly routine.  Cheltenham festival coming up shortly and a couple of cardiff to london services will be cancelled each day to enhance the service to Cheltenham.
The Grecian

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2010, 18:27:06 »

Thanks for the confirmation - I'm glad I looked it up first rather than just assuming it'd run. 0930 it is then...

When I've been going to London on that train before (then, as now, to watch Exeter City) it hasn't been particularly busy west of Swindon and since there's plenty of other trains from there on, it probably isn't a problem to drop that train to release an HST (High Speed Train). I suspect it'd be a different story were Bristol City or Rovers playing in London that day or England at home in the Six Nations. But they aren't.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2010, 20:57:40 »

A number of the xx00 Pad - Bristols are being extended to Cardiff, which would explain why the 1030 is cancelled, as the stock has been displaced.
The Grecian

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2010, 12:04:55 »

I ended up in the end getting the 10.41 Temple Meads to Parkway service, then getting the 11.02 to Paddington from Parkway, which stopped at Didcot. It only took about 5 minutes longer than getting the direct service anyway.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2010, 18:33:57 »

Thanks for posting that follow-up information, The Grecian. Wink

I'm glad we were able to help, with expert input from various members of this forum!  Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: