Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
18th Apr (2018)
SEWWEB leaflet launched and Aztec West (link)

Train RunningCancelled
15:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
16:58 London Paddington to Great Malvern
17:38 Bristol Temple Meads to Worcester Foregate Street
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
18:43 Bristol Temple Meads to Westbury
18:51 Evesham to Oxford
18:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
18:53 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
19:14 Bristol Temple Meads to Avonmouth
19:46 Avonmouth to Bristol Temple Meads
19:50 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
22:24 Bristol Temple Meads to Severn Beach
23:08 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
23:33 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19/04/24 04:45 Redhill to Gatwick Airport
19/04/24 05:11 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Short Run
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:52 London Paddington to Great Malvern
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
17:28 Weymouth to Bristol Temple Meads
19:05 Great Malvern to London Paddington
19:13 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
20:50 Bristol Temple Meads to Weymouth
Delayed
16:18 London Paddington to Swansea
16:48 London Paddington to Swansea
18:02 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
18:18 Carmarthen to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 18, 2024, 18:38:57 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[174] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[44] Signage - not making it easy ...
[22] IETs at Melksham
[19] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[18] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train
[17] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: (Rant) Exeter St Davids, FGW, AND XC  (Read 11944 times)
Branch Line Connor

View Profile Email
« on: February 12, 2010, 20:58:19 »

Urghh the discontent from spending just 45 minutes at Exeter St Davids!
After getting off the service from Barnstaple, I had to wait for 45 minutes to get my train home. There was a late XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) train available but it was overcrowded. And XC didn't care about the safety of passangers and FGW (First Great Western) didn't care about the punctality. So the doors were closing and some old geezer decides to get off the train and gets trapped in the door. (Bearing in mind the train was 5 minutes late and had been at EXD» (Exeter St Davids - next trains) for a long time) So then attempt 2. But some poor woman stops attempt 2, her boyfreind was still inside the carriage. Surely they could have gone with him on board? Then 'Full and Standing' Royal Duchy service. People from what I could see from platform 4 crammed into the aisles and gangways. Not Safe! And just to top things off, FGW blind to the fact somebody was smoking on the platform.
What has gone wrong?!
readytostart

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 21:08:28 »

Ok I'm taking slight offence at this, you want to see overcrowding, try being on a commuter train into London in the morning or on the tube at rush hour.
FGW (First Great Western) not caring about punctuality? Well they attempted to dispatch the train didn't they? How are they not caring about punctuality? If it's a case of letting passengers spread out along the length of the train to make use of any free space then I'd rather that than them all cram in one space.
As for the person smoking on the platform, I'd imagine with two aborted dispatches on this one train that they had slightly more important things on their mind.
Slight apologies for ranty tone.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 21:10:47 »

1206 pad - pnz will have been overcrowded as there was an obstruction on the line near Bedwyn which caused delay to the 1106 pad - ply. These passengers were they shipped onto the (normal very busy) 1206 from Paddington.

As for smoking, how can the dispatch worry about Punctuality, Safety and Smoking at the same time? Which is more important to you? Its not like smoking on the platform is a major problem.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 21:20:26 »

Its not like smoking on the platform is a major problem.

Far more sensible policy in Scotland.......

From Scotrail.co.uk
In line with legislation, smoking is not permitted in enclosed areas at ScotRail stations (ie areas with at least three walls and a roof). All ScotRail trains are also non-smoking.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Branch Line Connor

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2010, 21:21:13 »

Tbh they have more than enough staff at EXD» (Exeter St Davids - next trains) and why didn't they dispatch the train without worrying about the guy who was left on board? He had about 6 minutes to get off. Its just silly with the overcrowding in the aisles that if there was an emergency, things would get alot worse.  Angry
John R

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2010, 21:24:25 »

Hmmm. Don't get me started about smoking on platforms.  At Temple Meads last week  a couple of youths were smoking on platform 6, where a lot of people were waiting for a train. On platform 8 (adjacent), a train despatcher was loitering around with absolutely nothing to do.

When his attention was drawn to the youths, he phoned through and an announcement was immediately made over the station tannoy reminding people not to smoke. But did he follow it up and check that they had stopped. No, he carried on standing around about 20 feet away doing nothing at all.

5 minutes later when the train arrived on 6, they were still smoking and he stepped over to despatch it. Sort of makes a mockery of the legislation doesn't it.
Branch Line Connor

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2010, 21:26:54 »

The staff were more worried about people being a couple centimetres over the yellow line. They should let them stay past the yellow line, watch them get sucked up the engine and the overcrowding problem is sorted!
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2010, 21:32:38 »

1206 pad - pnz will have been overcrowded as there was an obstruction on the line near Bedwyn which caused delay to the 1106 pad - ply. These passengers were they shipped onto the (normal very busy) 1206 from Paddington.

As for smoking, how can the dispatch worry about Punctuality, Safety and Smoking at the same time? Which is more important to you? Its not like smoking on the platform is a major problem.

Also, the 12:44 XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) from Bristol to Plymouth was cancelled, so the 13:44 from Bristol was packed the rafters and as the 1206 PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains)-PNZ ran behind the XC from Taunton, all the FGW (First Great Western) pax naturally crammed onto the 4 car Voyager.  XC TM(resolve) managed to get the passengers travelling west of Plymouth to leave the train at Exeter and wait for the 1206 behind (which was also in reverse formation), so whether or not there are enough staff at Exeter, I am pretty sure that a lecture for someone smoking was not at the top of the priorities.

Tbh they have more than enough staff at EXD» (Exeter St Davids - next trains) and why didn't they dispatch the train without worrying about the guy who was left on board? He had about 6 minutes to get off. Its just silly with the overcrowding in the aisles that if there was an emergency, things would get alot worse.  Angry

Something called customer service maybe?

The staff were more worried about people being a couple centimetres over the yellow line. They should let them stay past the yellow line, watch them get sucked up the engine and the overcrowding problem is sorted!

I am sure (well I hope) that was tongue in cheek, but trust me your rants about punctuality and overcrowding would have got a lot worse if that scenario had happened.

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
Branch Line Connor

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2010, 21:35:55 »

The guy had 6 whole minutes! Surely the train not being any later than it already is > than one passanger.
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2010, 21:43:26 »

The guy had 6 whole minutes! Surely the train not being any later than it already is > than one passanger.

The delay team will agree with you... You see why a dispatchers job is not easy at times when you have someone begging to let their loved one off.

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
readytostart

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2010, 21:45:08 »

Its just silly with the overcrowding in the aisles that if there was an emergency, things would get alot worse.  Angry

Well, tell you what, people with reservations can stay on, the rest first come, first served, noone standing. Same for the HST (High Speed Train) behind. Anyone in the toilets and their seat gets taken, well they're off at the next stop. I think if that were the case you'dve had a lot longer wait than 45 minutes. Sometimes the train in front of the one you want to catch is cancelled, you either get on the next train or wait for a quiet one. Unless you live in Melksham.
Branch Line Connor

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2010, 21:48:59 »

Well, it looked like survival of the fittest. The XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) (1729? to Leeds) Got some backlog of passangers from that. Poor little kid having his face against the door, thats how busy it was. But that is XC. Overcrowding.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2010, 21:52:09 »

But that is XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)). Overcrowding.
Well until either cascaded or new trains are made available to the XC franchise its only ever going to be that way thanks to some very strange decision making by SRA» (Strategic Rail Authority - about) and Virgin a few years back that replacing 7 carriage HSTs (High Speed Train) with 4/5 car voyagers was a good idea.
readytostart

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2010, 22:15:46 »

But that is XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)). Overcrowding.
Well until either cascaded or new trains are made available to the XC franchise its only ever going to be that way thanks to some very strange decision making by SRA» (Strategic Rail Authority - about) and Virgin a few years back that replacing 7 carriage HSTs (High Speed Train) with 4/5 car voyagers was a good idea.
Well that's not strictly the case, on the core XC route bordered by Manchester, Bristol, Newcastle and Reading the service frequency was doubled and also made clockface. Also inside the core XC is the only operator with a direct service from Birmingham to the four points I have mentioned above. The hourly extensions to Edinburgh, Plymouth and Bournemouth provide a handy through journey for those travelling longer distances and supplement other operators on the line, wheras excess demand in the North East is taken care of by East Coast and that in the South by SWT (South West Trains), there seems to be  a lot of overcrowding in the West Country, which, in my opinion, should be taken care of by FGW (First Great Western) and not XC.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2010, 22:33:37 »

Though remember the original Operation Princess service had a standard half hourly service as far south as Plymouth. It's no wonder trains are overcrowded south of Bristol when you consider that an hourly HST (High Speed Train) has been replaced by a 4/5 coach set with relatively few seats per train.

Talking of HST's, wonder how many XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) had running today, on what was always going to be a very busy day given the start of half term. An astute operator would have had all 5 running and soaked up the advance tickets on the HSTs, leaving the 220/221s free for non-advance pax. Bet they only had 2 though.   
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: