Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
06:24 Newbury to Bedwyn
06:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
07:00 Bedwyn to Newbury
07:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
07:49 Bedwyn to Newbury
08:13 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:46 Bedwyn to Newbury
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:23 Hereford to London Paddington
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 06:22:31 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[82] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[76] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[74] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[67] Return of the BRUTE?
[57] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: (Rant) Exeter St Davids, FGW, AND XC  (Read 11783 times)
Branch Line Connor

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2010, 22:36:34 »

Why should FGW (First Great Western) have to deal with XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise))'s overcrowding? FGW have done a good enough job in my opinion and XC haven't.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2010, 23:09:31 »

Though remember the original Operation Princess service had a standard half hourly service as far south as Plymouth. It's no wonder trains are overcrowded south of Bristol when you consider that an hourly HST (High Speed Train) has been replaced by a 4/5 coach set with relatively few seats per train.

Talking of HST's, wonder how many XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) had running today, on what was always going to be a very busy day given the start of half term. An astute operator would have had all 5 running and soaked up the advance tickets on the HSTs, leaving the 220/221s free for non-advance pax. Bet they only had 2 though.   

3 sets, and possible one on hire to East Coast.

On Fridays the 1944 Bristol - Plymouth is an HST.
readytostart

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2010, 23:41:27 »

Though remember the original Operation Princess service had a standard half hourly service as far south as Plymouth.  

Not strictly true, normally 3 trains every two hours for Plymouth, the alternate 42 past the hour went to Cardiff according to my Operation Princess guide, but I submit to my mistake!
Unfortunately loading figures have led to some HST (High Speed Train) diagrams being stood down and the West Country has several route restrictions ruling out double Voyager set operation west of Plymouth. (No more than 7 car west of Plymouth, no more than 8 car south of Exeter).
Stock issues are always frustrating and there is generally no short term solution, FGW (First Great Western) and my alma mater (operationally wise) FSR (First Scot Rail) have in my opinion done well in using otherwise redundant loco hauled stock to be able to redeploy DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit) elsewhere.
My personal bright idea would be to trade XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise))'s HSTs for East Coast's Adelantes and then keep them pretty much on self-contained diagrams such as Manchester - Bristols (Alstom at Longsight would hopefully be able to maintain their own built trains) and Birmingham crews would be able to staff them if they went off route to Bournemouth or Newcastle.
I'll leave it at that for now, need to calm myself with some more wine and not think about my 4 car trip to Birmingham and back tomorrow!
smithy

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2010, 09:57:30 »

Urghh the discontent from spending just 45 minutes at Exeter St Davids!
After getting off the service from Barnstaple, I had to wait for 45 minutes to get my train home. There was a late XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) train available but it was overcrowded. And XC didn't care about the safety of passangers and FGW (First Great Western) didn't care about the punctality. So the doors were closing and some old geezer decides to get off the train and gets trapped in the door. (Bearing in mind the train was 5 minutes late and had been at EXD» (Exeter St Davids - next trains) for a long time) So then attempt 2. But some poor woman stops attempt 2, her boyfreind was still inside the carriage. Surely they could have gone with him on board? Then 'Full and Standing' Royal Duchy service. People from what I could see from platform 4 crammed into the aisles and gangways. Not Safe! And just to top things off, FGW blind to the fact somebody was smoking on the platform.
What has gone wrong?!

just a typical friday at end of school term,you have got to expect crowded trains.

as for the smoking the platform staff have got more to deal with than someone smoking i.e dispatching trains and dealing with passengers who keep interupting door closing.

in my opinion the whole smoking on platform rule is nonsense as most platforms are technically outside,it is the same if you are under canopy or at far end of platfrom at places like westbury,i for one would not challenge youths about smoking unless it was offending others these days they could turn round and punch you
Branch Line Connor

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2010, 11:54:02 »

SWT (South West Trains) did things without fuss  Grin but I think that last day of term for most and it being a friday, probably made things Hectic. Though the trip to Barnstaple and back was a great ride and great service.
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2010, 11:11:46 »

Well, it looked like survival of the fittest. The XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) (1729? to Leeds) Got some backlog of passangers from that. Poor little kid having his face against the door, thats how busy it was. But that is XC. Overcrowding.
Whilst most of your rant is getting on my tit's as you obviously need to grasp reality, the overcrowding on that service is made even more painful by the fact that it was an HST (High Speed Train) until last December but is now one of those inadequate heaps of plastic sh1t called a voyager!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: