Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
13:21 Newbury to Bedwyn
13:48 Bedwyn to Newbury
14:12 Newbury to Bedwyn
14:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
14:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
15:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
15:28 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
15:50 Bedwyn to Newbury
16:15 Newbury to Bedwyn
16:23 Westbury to Swindon
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
16:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
21:16 Westbury to Swindon
22:30 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
12:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
13:55 Paignton to London Paddington
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:10 Penzance to London Paddington
10:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:20 Penzance to London Paddington
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
etc
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 12:05:42 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[124] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[53] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[49] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[48] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[43] Return of the BRUTE?
[30] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Expenditure of transport, by government, per capita, by region  (Read 10060 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: February 17, 2010, 19:25:36 »

I'm putting this under "smoke and mirrors" because I find it very hard to find out just where my "tax pound" is spent.   When I give a hundred pounds to a store, HM Government gets 17.50 on top ... what does it do with it?   I've been nosing around some web sites and came up with some answers, including some transport ones, split down by region.   

Have a look ...

http://www.wellho.net/mouth/2640_How-is-your-tax-pound-spent-.html

... have a look further at my sources ... and see whether you can come to any logical explanation for the transport expenditure per capita, by region chart.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
matt473

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 19:33:37 »

When you look at Wales, think how much of that is wasted on headline grabbing services rather than what is needed  Roll Eyes There is a lot of money wasted in Cardiff-North service for example. Makes you think how this money could be spent better elsewhere within the UK (United Kingdom), not just Wales
welshman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 20:35:31 »

Hey, hey, you, you, get off of our trains.

The north-south train is not such a nonsense as you think.

Cardiff to Bangor by road is 170 miles and about 4 hours each way without clocking the cameras. I reckon about ^50 in fuel.

18 seat Jetstream from Cardiff Wales Airport to RAF (Royal Air Force) Valley - 70 minutes each way and about ^85 return.   Plus the public transport to and from there.

Cardiff to Bangor by bus is an astonishing 10 hours each way via Aberystwyth or 9 hours via Birmingham.  Fares unknown.

The train is 4.5 hours or so each way and a return is ^71.80.

matt473

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 20:56:23 »

I'm well entitled to since I've lived in South West Wales for years  Tongue I have noticed an unfair proportion spent which has led to areas such as the Heart of Wales line, Fishguard etc. to have an extremely poor service whilst transport funding isnot enough to provide an adequate bus service in many areas. But I also recognise this unfair allocation of resources happens elsewhere the famed Melksham example proving the point further. Just because money is being spent in an area does not mean it is being evenly spread in that area. I don't mean busy areas do not require larger funding, but many areas are severely neglected at the expense of small number of places. WAG» (Welsh Assembly Government - about) express money could afford to pay for an adequate service to Fishguard whilst money has also been wasted on the North-South Wales flights. That money should be spent on more deserving projects elsewhere within the UK (United Kingdom)
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 11:33:04 »

WAG» (Welsh Assembly Government - about) express money could afford to pay for an adequate service to Fishguard

Good news for the service to Fishguard:

http://www.westerntelegraph.co.uk/news/8939011.Funding_for_extra_trains_to_Fishguard/

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 13:41:44 »

The north-south train is not such a nonsense as you think.

I realise that it is useful and it compares favourably to the road alternatives (I am driving to Aberdaron next month so I will find out how poor the roads are), but is it really the rail priority for wales?  Improving the valley lines to Cardiff would help many more people. 

The problem with the WAG» (Welsh Assembly Government - about) epress is that it connects two areas that for political reasons (because Wales is a single nation) have been deemed in need of connection, rather than two areas that a large number of people actually travel between.  Surely there is greater demand for either better commuter services (which are unexciting but would really spread the wealth out of Cardiff into the poorer parts of the country) or cross boarder services (which are politically difficult because WAG can't be seen to fund English railways (dispite the fact that the WAG express travels through England).

It just seems weird that there is a high quality restaurant service if you want to get to holyhead from cardiff, but not if you want to get to London.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 19:57:11 »

Looks like Whitland's train service just got even more useful, assuming these services are operating in addition to the current Milford and Pembroke Dock trains and not as a replacement.
Trowres
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 22:29:17 »

Well, the per-capita figures are based on the resident population, I presume, so you would expect a somewhat higher figure for London to cope with the influx of commuters...

BUT...

If anyone would like to look at the capital expenditure on railway station schemes (e.g. Kings Cross) per passenger using that station, I think they will find that London does rather well compared with regional stations.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2011, 23:13:26 »

WAG» (Welsh Assembly Government - about) express money could afford to pay for an adequate service to Fishguard

Good news for the service to Fishguard:

http://www.westerntelegraph.co.uk/news/8939011.Funding_for_extra_trains_to_Fishguard/

And bad news for passengers once they get to Fishguard ...

fgwollie FGW (First Great Western) Ollie
no more passenger sailings between #Fishguard - #Rosslare until 7th April #fgw #firstgreatwestern @ArrivaTW #boat #ireland #wales #stena

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: