09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:52 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
10:52 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 20, 2024, 08:21:36 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[315] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[250] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[42] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[37] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[18] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[17] Signage - not making it easy ...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 33
  Print  
Author Topic: Class 142 Pacers in service on Devon branch lines, 2007 to 2011 - merged topic  (Read 153516 times)
Umberleigh

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 13, 2007, 00:27:52 »

Back on the subject of 142's Wink

Can you really class the one hour Exeter to Barnstaple trip as a 'shorter journey'?

Long time to be stuck in a bus-type seat being shaken to bits Angry

Recently had the joy of travelling up the line in an ex-Trans Pennine ex-First Class seat and the journey seemed to fly by; my fellow passengers could be overheard remarking on the comfort of the train.

If only....

Instead we can look forward to squeezing into cramped urban-style 3+2 seating as we bounce noisily up the line Angry

Mind you, at least there will be plenty of space as those passengers who have the choice to travel either by car or train will flee the Tarka (Line from Barnstaple to Exeter) Line in droves as the 'not bad' train units at present get sent to the more deserving folks up North.

If the Tarka Line was losing passengers year-on-year then I could almost understand this decision; it is not, numbers have been steadily increasing. What a reward for the travelling public who are supporting this line Sad

This removal of half-decent rolling stock in favour of units that were quite rightly kicked out of the region 20 years ago is a tragedy for the Barnstaple line and the longer it goes on the more I fear passengers will turn to their cars, or even a coach-type seat on the bus.

The final insult, of course, is the over-paid failiures that are FGW (First Great Western) Management crowing on about 'refreshing' the local train fleet: as ever, 'local' for them equals their beloved London/Bristol/Cardiff route and sod everyone else....
Conner

08436 at Corfe Castle on the Swanage Railway

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: October 13, 2007, 07:46:53 »

The thing about 158's is that there everyones favourite. So the good TOC (Train Operating Company)'s make an efort to get them i.e. Northern. The DFT (Department for Transport) then say Angel Trains must give Northern 30 158's. FGW (First Great Western) don't do anything about trying to keep them so there going to be taking away. What we get in return is 142's which will be replaced by 158's at Northern. Straight swap. Different unit.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 13, 2007, 08:11:40 »

The thing about 158's is that there everyones favourite. So the good TOC (Train Operating Company)'s make an efort to get them i.e. Northern. The DFT (Department for Transport) then say Angel Trains must give Northern 30 158's. FGW (First Great Western) don't do anything about trying to keep them so there going to be taking away. What we get in return is 142's which will be replaced by 158's at Northern. Straight swap. Different unit.
I find it staggering more noise is not being made about this swap. I dont think in the main the travelling public know what is happening yet...they will come December!
Conner

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: October 13, 2007, 09:15:10 »

I find it staggering more noise is not being made about this swap. I dont think in the main the travelling public know what is happening yet...they will come December!
To right they'll know. Turn up to travel on the day of change expecting to have a nice comfortable journey. Then they'll bodies will be ripped apart as they won't be used to traveling on pacers.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 13, 2007, 09:53:07 »

You state that Exeter - Barnstaple is 1 hour.

Imagine similar journey:
Paignton - Exeter 50 mins
Paignton - Exmouth 85 mins
Barnstaple - Exmouth 90 mins
Paignton - Barnstaple (there is one train on Sunday IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly)) 105 mins.
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 13, 2007, 22:41:45 »

This F**K up is entirely down to FGW, when they bid for the franchise they seemed to think they needed X amount of units, so they were due to go off lease this December, in the meantime they realised that people do actually travel on local services and now want to keep the units but it's too late because the ROSCO» (Rolling Stock Owning Company - about) has promised them elswere! If FGW had said in the first place that they needed these units then they'd be staying with us!
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 14, 2007, 09:44:47 »

Well at least it should mean no fare increases.

If there are any I can predict a full scale riot!
oooooo

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 19, 2007, 21:01:12 »

A class 142 visited Paignton today on test. One yesterday morning in the very early hours was supposed to visit Exmouth but am unsure if it ran...
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 19, 2007, 22:31:18 »

Lets hope it fails the test then! I'm sure Network Rail have done their best to make the line as bouncy as possible!
Jim

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: October 20, 2007, 06:42:01 »

Lets hope it fails the test then! I'm sure Network Rail have done their best to make the line as bouncy as possible!

Sounds like you would rather have no train!

Cheers
Jim Smiley
AG's most famous quote "It'll be better next week"
gaf71

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 21, 2007, 09:19:31 »

A class 142 visited Paignton today on test. One yesterday morning in the very early hours was supposed to visit Exmouth but am unsure if it ran...
The one 142 that is in running order has been to Barnstaple, Exmouth and Paignton on 'test' runs, mainly for driver handling purposes. The crews are actually surprised at how smooth the ride has been, apart for the stretch between Portsmouth Arms and Umberleigh......but a 158 bounces around there as well!
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 21, 2007, 23:48:36 »

Well, they cant be all bad, they lasted up north for over twenty years! better than no train at all i spose!
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 27, 2007, 11:16:12 »

I think FGW (First Great Western) needs to emply the heritage side of things on a failing railway.

Melksham perhaps Wink
Conner

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: October 29, 2007, 22:06:49 »

After travelling on a couple of Devon Branchline trains today, I think they should use the 142's straight away as the overcrowding is quite severe.
TJ

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 30, 2007, 00:51:31 »

Logic please. 142s have fewer seats than a 150 and two 142s have only a eleven more seats than a 150+153 combination. Seatingwise two 142s are better than a single 150 but I understand that only one train is to have this enhancement on the Exmouth Branch. Ye big deal. Let's face it Exeter is only going to have 6 142s and I doubt if they dare rely on more than 4 being serviceable at any one time. The other 6 will be based in Bristol for use on the Severn Beach line I believe but confirmation would be appreciated.

Yes we need more capacity on the Exmouth Branch peak services but, even ignoring all reliability issues, 142s are just not the answer. Even FGW (First Great Western) don't want them but, mainly due to their own incompetance, they have been DfT» (Department for Transport - about) stuffed.

TJ
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 33
  Print  

Jump to: