Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 13:35 28 Mar 2024
* Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
13:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:29 Weymouth to Gloucester
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:42 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
12:46 Avonmouth to Weston-Super-Mare
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:07 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:26 Okehampton to Exeter Central
14:05 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
Delayed
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 13:53:38 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 33
  Print  
Author Topic: Class 142 Pacers in service on Devon branch lines, 2007 to 2011 - merged topic  (Read 152289 times)
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: October 30, 2007, 07:22:09 »

Is there anywhere on the FGW (First Great Western) local network that isnt suffering from overcrowding?
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: October 30, 2007, 10:44:14 »

Let's face it Exeter is only going to have 6 142s and I doubt if they dare rely on more than 4 being serviceable at any one time. The other 6 will be based in Bristol for use on the Severn Beach line I believe but confirmation would be appreciated.

If Class 142 units do end up in Bristol for use on the Severn Beach Line , then even reliability permitting , I doubt that as many as 6 will be required.

If anyone knows more on this though , feel free to correct me.

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
commutatron

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 30, 2007, 12:49:58 »

And does anybody who commutes in the SW give a toss whats happening up north.

Are the north complaining about 142s?

No

* SPITS coffee out all over keyboard *  Shocked

Sorry, I just had to respond to this comment - obviously I can't speak for everyone 'up north' but in common with the rest of the country (maybe the world) the general feeling is a loathing of Class 142s!

A collective groan can be heard at Manchester Deansgate station as the evening communters wait expectantly for their train home and realise what the approaching screeching noise means - overcrowding in the sardine special. Unfortunately for some of us we also have the added displeasure of Merseyrails hepatic yellow livery which doesn't help.

It's a huge relief when a 150 appears as at least you know the standing will be more comfortable or you may be able to sit in the toilet for part of the journey.

I'm shocked these things are heading anywhere other than the scrapyard and offer my condolences to any commuters using them.

At least one of the 142s around here have been re-painted into Northern Rails newish purple livery which means:

(a) They will be around a few years longer
(b) The re-paint should make them twice as strong
Conner

08436 at Corfe Castle on the Swanage Railway

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: October 30, 2007, 13:00:02 »

Logic please. 142s have fewer seats than a 150 and two 142s have only a eleven more seats than a 150+153 combination. Seatingwise two 142s are better than a single 150 but I understand that only one train is to have this enhancement on the Exmouth Branch. Ye big deal. Let's face it Exeter is only going to have 6 142s and I doubt if they dare rely on more than 4 being serviceable at any one time. The other 6 will be based in Bristol for use on the Severn Beach line I believe but confirmation would be appreciated.

Yes we need more capacity on the Exmouth Branch peak services but, even ignoring all reliability issues, 142s are just not the answer. Even FGW (First Great Western) don't want them but, mainly due to their own incompetance, they have been DfT» (Department for Transport - about) stuffed.

TJ

142's are only supposed to be used as two units couled together or with other units.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #79 on: October 30, 2007, 14:09:12 »

Sorry, I just had to respond to this comment - obviously I can't speak for everyone 'up north' but in common with the rest of the country (maybe the world) the general feeling is a loathing of Class 142s!

A collective groan can be heard at Manchester Deansgate station as the evening communters wait expectantly for their train home ....

Correction much appreciated, thank you.  Since this board is primarily relating to First Great Western, it's populated by people who live and travel in the FGW (First Great Western) area and screams of disgust from Manchester about class 142 units don't necessarily make it this far.

But I do know somewhere they would be welcome. Father Christmas travelled on a Class 143 from Swindon at 17:50 on 9th December last .... but that train never ran again, and there's now a gap in services on the Westbury line between 15:19 and 20:52.  Shoppers, Soccer fans, and Father Christmas all feel that a 142 would be FAR better than the current nothing!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 30, 2007, 18:33:04 »

And does anybody who commutes in the SW give a toss whats happening up north.

Are the north complaining about 142s?

No

* SPITS coffee out all over keyboard *  Shocked

A collective groan can be heard at Manchester Deansgate station as the evening communters wait expectantly for their train home and realise what the approaching screeching noise means - overcrowding in the sardine special. Unfortunately for some of us we also have the added displeasure of Merseyrails hepatic yellow livery which doesn't help.

It's a huge relief when a 150 appears as at least you know the standing will be more comfortable or you may be able to sit in the toilet for part of the journey.

I'm shocked these things are heading anywhere other than the scrapyard and offer my condolences to any commuters using them.

At least one of the 142s around here have been re-painted into Northern Rails newish purple livery which means:

(a) They will be around a few years longer
(b) The re-paint should make them twice as strong
Well thats ok, you lot will have our nice 158's soon, the same 158's that have been based in the region since they were built! enjoy them wont you!
TJ

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 31, 2007, 01:52:09 »

142's are only supposed to be used as two units couled together or with other units.

Coupled with other units? I understand that an unsucessful attempt has already been made at Exeter to couple a 142 to a 153. Not surprising considering that back in the eighties BR (British Rail(ways)) banned the coupling of 142s to 155s except for 'line clearance' and then only subject to a 30mph restriction. It is assumed that 153s (ex 155s) are equally susceptible to whatever the problem was?

--
TJ
Conner

08436 at Corfe Castle on the Swanage Railway

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: October 31, 2007, 14:43:42 »

FGW (First Great Western) originally said 142's will only be used coupled to other units or as two coupled together because of the capacity difference. 142's can be coupled to 15x's or 14x's but not 155's xmth said but maybe the non-original cab end would be compatable.
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 31, 2007, 17:25:41 »

FGW (First Great Western) originally said 142's will only be used coupled to other units or as two coupled together because of the capacity difference. 142's can be coupled to 15x's or 14x's but not 155's xmth said but maybe the non-original cab end would be compatable.
142's are compatible with the entire "west" fleet, they all have BSI (British Standards Institute) couplings.
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 31, 2007, 17:27:24 »

A 142 was in Plymouth today, worked down from Exeter probably on a training run or summit, thought they weren't meant to be coming west of Newton Abbot??
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 31, 2007, 18:04:46 »

Good news.

As much route availability as possible please and keep them away from Paignton!
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 31, 2007, 18:15:10 »

Good news.

As much route availability as possible please and keep them away from Paignton!
hmmmm Paignton-Exmouth might seem bad but Bristol-Penzance is somethin else! 4 1/2 hours on a bus seat? no thanks!
gaf71

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 31, 2007, 18:57:34 »

Let's face it Exeter is only going to have 6 142s and I doubt if they dare rely on more than 4 being serviceable at any one time. The other 6 will be based in Bristol for use on the Severn Beach line I believe but confirmation would be appreciated.

If Class 142 units do end up in Bristol for use on the Severn Beach Line , then even reliability permitting , I doubt that as many as 6 will be required.

If anyone knows more on this though , feel free to correct me.
As far as i've heard all 12 are coming to Exeter, and regarding the Exmouth line the problem is not about what the 142s can couple to, but about the platform length on the upside at St James' Park, because obviously 2 units coupled are too long, and with no through access for the guard to operate local door only(which on a 142 is single leaf opening anyway; so no wheelchair, buggy,bikes etc)

There is a rumour that the platform will be lengthened using the unused platform at Polsloe Bridge, which would solve these problems. Hope this helps Wink
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 31, 2007, 19:00:35 »

Obviously that route is silly, they can only just about max out at 75 as it is let alone work a booked 90mph diagram!
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 31, 2007, 19:01:31 »

Or specify front unit only for SJP!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 33
  Print  

Jump to: