Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
06:57 Swansea to London Paddington
07:43 Swansea to London Paddington
08:18 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
08:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
09:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
09:46 Westbury to Swindon
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
05:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
06:38 Weymouth to Gloucester
06:54 Taunton to London Paddington
07:33 Weymouth to Gloucester
08:38 London Paddington to Westbury
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Delayed
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
05:23 London Paddington to Swansea
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 09:13 Bristol Temple Meads to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 09:34:56 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[146] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[117] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[80] Return of the BRUTE?
[63] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[49] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[27] CrossCountry upgrade will see 25% more rail seats

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 33
  Print  
Author Topic: Class 142 Pacers in service on Devon branch lines, 2007 to 2011 - merged topic  (Read 152285 times)
paulsouthwales

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: November 02, 2007, 18:31:43 »

whilst it is significant that 142s are replacing 158s, both of which are 15-20 years old now, i dont see what the probs are with the 142s.  we have had them on the cardiff valley lines and south wales main line to swansea and maesteg now for several years, and they were brought up to the standard of the 158s internally by wales and west/wales and borders a few years back.

the ones that have been in the south wales/west region for a few years are certainly more comfortable than those that have the original bus seating, but i have used those before, 3 + 2 seating, but most of the 3's were used a two's and 2's as ones, especially as people are getting bigger over the last ten years (and yep that includes me!)
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 02, 2007, 18:35:31 »

whilst it is significant that 142s are replacing 158s, both of which are 15-20 years old now, i dont see what the probs are with the 142s.  we have had them on the cardiff valley lines and south wales main line to swansea and maesteg now for several years, and they were brought up to the standard of the 158s internally by wales and west/wales and borders a few years back.

the ones that have been in the south wales/west region for a few years are certainly more comfortable than those that have the original bus seating, but i have used those before, 3 + 2 seating, but most of the 3's were used a two's and 2's as ones, especially as people are getting bigger over the last ten years (and yep that includes me!)
I think one of the problems which is causing concern about these units coming to FGW (First Great Western) is that they are not refurbed like they are in South Wales and FGW obviously have no intention of refurbing them as they intend to only have them on lease for a couple of years (I will believe that when I see it!)
paulsouthwales

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 02, 2007, 18:43:59 »

I think one of the problems which is causing concern about these units coming to FGW (First Great Western) is that they are not refurbed like they are in South Wales and FGW obviously have no intention of refurbing them as they intend to only have them on lease for a couple of years (I will believe that when I see it!)

thats what i thought!  the refurbised ex-valley lines 142s are ok.  2 + 2 seating.  the older bus type seats are pathetic to be honest for a MODERN railway in 2008! 
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 02, 2007, 22:58:23 »

Any unit is tolerable if they have comfortable seats, but bus seats?
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 03, 2007, 16:17:59 »

Loss of tables and all along with litter bins and privacy from the Chavs behind you...
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 04, 2007, 18:27:59 »

Loss of tables and all along with litter bins and privacy from the Chavs behind you...
I've a better idea, ban Chavs from trains!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #111 on: November 04, 2007, 18:43:35 »

Butting in on this and pulling the thread back on track.   I was up in Ely yesterday listening to a talk by Bob Breakwell - he's a non executive director of FGW (First Great Western) who's been in the industry for many years, and he very specifically mentioned 142s to Cornwall.   Yes, all the stuff about them not being wanted - but "it was them or no trains at all". 

It might be that he's mistaken ... it might be that his information is old ... or it might just be worth checking with someone again.  After all, he IS a director of the company and I'm sure he was briefed before a talk to a national rail conference.  First are vey good at the briefing and staying in line thing!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 04, 2007, 21:10:17 »

Butting in on this and pulling the thread back on track.   I was up in Ely yesterday listening to a talk by Bob Breakwell - he's a non executive director of FGW (First Great Western) who's been in the industry for many years, and he very specifically mentioned 142s to Cornwall.   Yes, all the stuff about them not being wanted - but "it was them or no trains at all". 

It might be that he's mistaken ... it might be that his information is old ... or it might just be worth checking with someone again.  After all, he IS a director of the company and I'm sure he was briefed before a talk to a national rail conference.  First are vey good at the briefing and staying in line thing!
I don't have any reason not to believe his comment of "it was them or no trains at all" as quite simply other than returning to loco and coaches there really is no spare stock going. 
oooooo

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 04, 2007, 22:06:58 »

He probably doesnt know where Cornwall is  Huh

I am fairly certain one will stray to Penzance but there are no diagrams for them to do so. Also while Penzance crew will sign them, Par will not so theres NO chance one will go to Newquay/Looe/Gunnislake.
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 04, 2007, 22:11:56 »

I am fairly certain one will stray to Penzance but there are no diagrams for them to do so. Also while Penzance crew will sign them, Par will not so theres NO chance one will go to Newquay/Looe/Gunnislake.
or Falmouth without some frantic last minute rostering..........no chance coz they can't even roster day to day turns!
Jim

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: November 05, 2007, 07:38:15 »

or Falmouth without some frantic last minute rostering..........no chance coz they can't even roster day to day turns!

And booked turns at that, let alone amended turns!

Cheers
Jim Smiley
AG's most famous quote "It'll be better next week"
Conner

08436 at Corfe Castle on the Swanage Railway

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: November 05, 2007, 08:55:40 »

There is a diagram to Penzance from Exmouth so not impossible.
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: November 05, 2007, 10:50:47 »

Quote from Andrew Griffiths , who for those new to the forum is FGW (First Great Western) Regional Manager of the Severn / Solent area  :

"I can say quite categorically that no Cardiff-Portsmouth services (or the Brightons) are booked for a 150 - all are 158. 142s not diagrammed for Cornwall either, only Barnstaple-Exmouth-Paignton triangle."

He is going to update the Customer Services Team........

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
oooooo

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 05, 2007, 18:37:37 »

The Exmouth to Penzance working is crewed by Par west of Plymouth from December so it wont happen here!
Conner

08436 at Corfe Castle on the Swanage Railway

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: November 05, 2007, 19:53:48 »

The Exmouth to Penzance working is crewed by Par west of Plymouth from December so it wont happen here!
Phew!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 33
  Print  

Jump to: