Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 13:55 28 Mar 2024
- Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
* Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
13:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
14:13 Par to Newquay
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:10 Newquay to Par
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:29 Weymouth to Gloucester
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
12:42 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
12:46 Avonmouth to Weston-Super-Mare
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:07 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:26 Okehampton to Exeter Central
14:05 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
Delayed
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 14:05:59 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Linked Events
  • Clifton Rocks Railway Open Day: April 15, 2012
  • Clifton Rocks Railway Open Day: May 11, 2019
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Clifton Rocks Railway, Bristol - Open Days  (Read 10196 times)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« on: February 28, 2010, 00:30:41 »

This fascinating disused, and sadly moth-balled, funicular railway (the first underground funicular in the world) is hosting a couple of Open Days in 2010.

Sunday 25th April

Sunday 16th May

10am to 4pm both days.

Please note that for insurance reason children under 14 are not permitted.

Further information on the Clifton Rocks Railway can be found here.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 02:20:28 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 00:45:39 »

Thanks for posting that, bignosemac!  Cheesy

I shall certainly be attending one of those rare opportunities to view the railway, and its restoration!

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 01:07:00 »

It is very unlikely that the CRR will ever be restored to full operation, the lower station opens almost directly onto the A4 Portway, with just a very narrow footpath between it and the road, and there is simply no room left to allow for safe pedestrian access, short of skewing the road out over the river!

The tunnel itself was heavily modified during World War II, being converted for use as an emergency broadcasting station by the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page). Concrete stairways were built over the tracks and the tunnel was comparmentalized into seperate rooms used for studios, relay rooms, and air-raid shelters.  Despite the heavy bombing that Bristol suffered during the war the BBC were able to continue broadcasting from sites above ground and so the facilities installed inside the CRR were never utilised.

Despite all this several original features remain, and these are what the restoration project is currently focusing on.

I suppose with enough will (and a lot of money!!) the funicular could be restored, but the problem of access to the lower (Hotwells) station seems insurmountable.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 01:13:02 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2010, 11:10:10 »

Having seen it, I can confirm that a huge amount of money would be required. And it's not really in a good place to be a tourist attraction, with poor access and parking at either end.

Well worth a visit though.  We had to queue for over half an hour on Open Doors weekend a couple of years ago, such was its popularity.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 10:11:10 »

I'm off to visit this now.

Chris.  Smiley

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2010, 13:40:06 »

Just returned from my visit: very interesting guided tours of the top station area (unfortunately, for quite practical safety reasons, it wasn't possible to go down the tunnels themselves).  Well worth a visit - it's free, though they obviously welcome donations!  Wink Cheesy Grin

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 02:09:58 »

Further open days of this fascinating piece of railway history are upcoming this year.

There are open days on Sundays, 15th April and 13th May 2012.

Further information:

http://www.cliftonrocksrailway.org.uk/news_06.htm

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2019, 14:14:02 »

The Clifton Rocks Railway has a new owner - Ian Johnson, who also owns the Clifton Observatory. According to Bristol 24/7

CLIFTON ROCKS RAILWAY TO BE BROUGHT BACK TO LIFE

A funicular railway cut out of the rocks of the Avon Gorge more than 125 years ago could be brought back to life as Bristol’s newest tourist attraction.

[...]

Johnson’s plans are to open a museum at the upper station seven days a week and gradually restore the historic railway to its original Victorian glory.

[...]

Clifton Rocks Railway’s next open day takes place between 10am and 4pm on Saturday, May 11 as part of National Funicular Day when there will also be a photographic exhibition in the Avon Gorge Hotel.

The most difficult problem to overcome for anyone seriously wishing to reopen this railway is the lower terminal, which fronts onto a narrow pavement on the busy A4 Portway (see https://goo.gl/maps/2j1guFwmLCqZDVz8A ). It is hard to see how this would work, but then maybe I lack Mr Johnson's imagination and business acumen - the Observatory, after all, seems to have been transformed in recent years.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2019, 14:45:37 »

Open day - 11th May 2019 - http://www.b-i-a-s.org.uk/rocks_railway_refurbishment.html#open_day . I am very tempted to go, having given a training course a few years ago to a group including the restoration chair, and finding that I was in the presence of someone even geekier and driven about this sir of stuff that I am.

Also Sat 14, Sun 15 September 10-4. Doors Open Day. https://www.bristoldoorsopenday.org. Free buses Saturday.

Edit to correct the latter link to https - my error for copying the link without checking
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 16:39:05 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2019, 16:18:58 »

Also Sat 14, Sun 15 September 10-4. Doors Open Day. http://www.bristoldoorsopenday.org. Free buses Saturday.

Unfortunately that link only takes you to a Domain Default page with the message "This page is generated by Plesk, the leading hosting automation software. You see this page because there is no Web site at this address."
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2019, 16:37:38 »

Also Sat 14, Sun 15 September 10-4. Doors Open Day. http://www.bristoldoorsopenday.org. Free buses Saturday.

Unfortunately that link only takes you to a Domain Default page with the message "This page is generated by Plesk, the leading hosting automation software. You see this page because there is no Web site at this address."

I think they're stuck between 2018 and 2019 ... some early data for 2019:
https://www.architecturecentre.org.uk/whats-on/bristol-open-doors-2019/
also works better (but still flakey) with https - https://www.bristoldoorsopenday.org

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2019, 20:51:53 »

The most difficult problem to overcome for anyone seriously wishing to reopen this railway is the lower terminal, which fronts onto a narrow pavement on the busy A4 Portway (see https://goo.gl/maps/2j1guFwmLCqZDVz8A ). It is hard to see how this would work, but then maybe I lack Mr Johnson's imagination and business acumen - the Observatory, after all, seems to have been transformed in recent years.

I've seen a number of old pictures of the base station ... with trams running in front and the whole area being a very pleasant riverside promenade. But that all seems to have been swept away - so not only do you have the issue of "how would people exit the building?" but also "what would there be for them to do?"  I also wonder how big the circulation area is inside the building at the bottom of the cliff lift.

Looking at Street View and towards the centre of Bristol, I note a building with a ground level balcony / walk through and I wonder about railings close to the road edge and guiding people in to there.  Not sure what it is / who owns it, and how much people would need to go through the pinch point outside the lifts or could circulate inside to where it's wider ... but sadly I fear that it would be hard to do anything with the riverside of the road, with the difficulty of crossing, lack of width again, and vicious tidal range that make it very raw nature.   Perhaps turn the attraction round - run the Original Bristol City Open Bus tour along the Portway and drop off / pick everyone on the inbound side, and have them ride up to see Clifton and the Bridge?

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2019, 21:35:50 »

The buildings just up the road toward Bristol are residential.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2019, 21:55:56 »

From time to time the A4 Portway is closed for maintenance, and this brings home to you just how appallingly intrusive the motor traffic that normally roars up and down the Avon Gorge is. Before the Portway, this was, as grahame says, a peaceful spot.

The Colonnade was originally a shopping arcade associated with Hotwell House, a large once-fashionable spa building  which was demolished in 1867 to widen the river. The Rocks Railway's lower terminus is  more or less behind the site of Hotwell House.

It's not a place you'd want to linger now.         

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Noggin

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2019, 11:04:04 »

The Portway gets plenty of runners and cyclists.

I'd suggest that if you wanted to really do something special, you could build a walkway/cycleway out alongside the river, more or less over the remains of the wooden moorings. Stick some kind of cafe/education centre on it, with perhaps some kind of green 'wall' to separate it from the road and effectively you extend the harbourside walk up to the furnicular. 

Would have thought that you could get that for £10m, would have thought that the harbour company and the Merchant Venturers should be good for a chunk of that. 
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: