10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Short Run
07:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
07:24 Taunton to London Paddington
07:25 Worcester Shrub Hill to London Paddington
07:28 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
08:32 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
PollsOpen and recent polls
Open to 25/03 16:00 Easter Escape - to where?
Closed 2024-03-16 Should our rail network go cashless
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 19, 2024, 08:49:56 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[159] A daily picture from my recent travels
[78] Where would you recommend for an Easter Escape?
[68] More travels ... more looking at how others do it ...
[66] M25 motorway issue: a most illuminating Twitter thread.
[55] Briefing on forthcoming changes - from GWR on 14.3.2024
[35] Europeran Rail Timetable

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 230
  Print  
Author Topic: Reading Station improvements  (Read 1354759 times)
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« on: March 13, 2010, 22:16:08 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

A public meeting is to be held over a multi-million pound plan to transform Reading railway station.
The borough council proposes an upgrade of the southern entrance and outside travel interchange concourse, including bus, taxi and drop-off areas.
It comes as Network Rail plans a ^500m revamp of rail lines into the town, including five new platforms and a train depot.
Residents and businesses are being urged to attend and give their views.
The council says the Network Rail upgrade will significantly increase passenger numbers and should allow more trains to run through Reading, reduce delays on the western route and ease overcrowding at the station.
Another planned regeneration project at nearby Station Hill, including skyscrapers housing offices, restaurants and flats, would also increase numbers.
During the meeting, council planners will outline their plans, followed by a question and answer session.
Their Reading Station Area Framework covers an area from the River Thames to the north, Friar Street to the south, Caversham Road to the west and Forbury Road to the east.
There will also be an opportunity to see the Network Rail and Station Hill plans.
A council spokesperson said: "The council wants its residents to get involved now so they can help to inform any possible future development and have some input into future plans. Exhibitions have already taken place at Caversham Library and the Civic Centre."
The meeting will be held on 22 March from 1830 GMT in the Victoria Hall at the town hall.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 21:09:33 by chris from nailsea » Logged

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Boppy

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 12:14:06 »

I've noticed the barricading and single lane closure of the road under the East Side Reading Railway Bridge.

With all the area to the North of the tracks to the East also cordoned off (the car parks have been closed along Napier road it looks like) is this the beginning of the bridge widening?

Boppy.
willc

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 22:35:58 »

DafT has today announced a package of road alterations around the station. Press release below.

A ^16 million road improvement scheme which will allow for major upgrades to Reading station has taken an important step forward, Transport Minister Sadiq Khan announced today.

The scheme - which will increase capacity on roads and junctions around the station -has received conditional approval, meaning work could start later this year. The Minister also reconfirmed that the Department will invest ^15 million in the project, subject to Reading ensuring that appropriate procurement, governance and project management mechanisms are in place.  Reading Borough Council will meet the remainder of the cost.

The work will allow new rail bridges to be constructed as part of the wider ^425 million programme of works to rebuild Reading station and significantly improve train services. It will also improve traffic flow around the station.
Sadiq Khan said:

^I am delighted to confirm that this vital scheme - which we are prepared to invest ^15 million towards - has taken an important step forward.

"The improvement project will not only ease congestion on local roads - but also allow new rail bridges to be constructed as part of the wider ^425 million programme of works to rebuild Reading station.

"This will deliver major improvements to the performance and capacity of one of the most critical rail hubs in Britain."

Following a review of the scheme by Reading Borough Council, the proposed road improvements involve:

^ works to modify the existing roundabout at Portman Road/Oxford Road including a bus lane on the approach to the junction;
^ southern and northern stations access works around the junction of station Hill/Vastern Road/Caversham Road; and
^ signalisation of the junction at Richfield Avenue/Caversham Road.

The improvements will allow new rail bridges to be built over Cow Lane Road to accommodate the provision of additional track to the west of the station.  The junction improvements are needed to provide a strategic road route for HGVs and other non-local traffic and improve management of the road network.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 10:46:33 »

This is double announcing as far as I can see. There was an announcement that work on the actual railway bridges had started quite a few weeks ago.  Didn't we discuss exactly what they meant by 'widening', ie was it with respect to the roads or the tracks?

What they'll have done is included it again just to pad out whatever new work is being discussed...   Roll Eyes

Paul
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 18:13:39 »

From the Network Rail press release:

NETWORK RAIL SHOWCASES VISION FOR THE FUTURE OF READING STATION

Network Rail today published artist^s impressions of how Reading station will look, following their multimillion pound investment to modernise the station.

The images have been released in advance of a public exhibition on Network Rail^s plans for Reading^s railway, to be held in Reading Town Hall from Thursday 20 to Saturday 22 May.

Tony Walker, Network Rail^s scheme sponsor for the Reading project said: ^Reading^s residents and commuters were really positive about our plans for the station when we consulted them a couple of years ago. I^m keen to give people an update on our scheme and get their views before we start construction in earnest.

^The work we^re doing in Reading is one of the biggest pieces of railway investment anywhere in the country right now. I urge everyone who lives in Reading or uses the station to come along to the Town Hall and find out about the benefits and how they^re affected by our plans.^

Network Rail, in conjunction with Reading Borough Council, plans to enlarge and modernise Reading station, building two new entrances connected by a brand new footbridge, relieving congestion for Reading^s commuters. New lifts and escalators will make it easier to get about the station, and five extra platforms will provide more space for trains.

The improvements to the station are just one part of Network Rail^s ambitious plans for Reading^s railway, which involve the construction of a viaduct to untangle the tracks to the west of the station, boosting capacity and cutting delays.

Owing to close working partnerships between Network Rail, First Great Western, and other train operating companies, the vast majority of the work to rebuild Reading station and the surrounding railway will be undertaken without affecting train services. However there will be times when passengers using Reading station will be affected. The first of these will be this Christmas (2010), when the station will close for a number of days while the first phase of work is completed.

Network Rail engineers and project managers will be on hand at the Town Hall exhibition to answer questions about the future for Reading^s railway, and the benefits for the travelling public. Further details on trains next Christmas and alternative travel arrangements will also be available.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 20:55:11 »

Reading station revamp exhibition opens

Reading commuters are to get a glimpse of how their new railway station will look after a ^400m revamp when an exhibition opens in the town centre.
The station is due to be remodelled by 2013 to include five more platforms and an additional entrance west of the Three Guineas Pub.
The display is due to open at Reading Town Hall at 1000 BST on Thursday.
Network Rail engineers and project managers will be on hand to answer questions about the scheme.
Network Rail has released a new image of how the southern entrance of station will look when it is rebuilt.
The entrance is one of two new access points planned for the station and will be served by a footbridge, lifts and escalators.
Tony Walker, who is working on the project, said: "Reading's residents and commuters were really positive about our plans for the station when we consulted them a couple of years ago. I'm keen to give people an update on our scheme and get their views before we start construction in earnest. The work we're doing in Reading is one of the biggest pieces of railway investment anywhere in the country right now. I urge everyone who lives in Reading or uses the station to come along to the town hall and find out about the benefits and how they're affected by our plans."
The Reading exhibition will be held in the Waterhouse Chamber, Reading Town Hall from Thursday to Saturday and at Reading Station on Thursday from 1700 to 2000 BST.

Boppy

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2010, 11:25:02 »

Hi,

I saw this "exhibition" outside Reading station yesterday.

What I was expecting of something described as such is maybe a scale model?  But all it was was a large banner showing pretty much the same images and artists impressions that have already been shown in the pdfs associated with the project on Network Rail and Reading Borough Council's web sites.  All the publicity about it had built it up a lot so I felt a bit let down - oh well!

Also - the plan used on the banner and in the leaflets handed out is a bit confusing - it has an exaggerated vertical scale to show the extra platforms and tracks but the track layout isn't true - it's just an approximation.  We had what looked to be 3 tracks heading out west, 1 track heading out south (past Reading West) & just 2 tracks for the GWML (Great Western Main Line) to Paddington!  But at least there were the correct (i.e. 2) tracks heading off to Wokingham.   Cheesy

On the plus side there were plenty of people to talk to about the plans.

Can't wait for the project to be done - all the days of trains queueing outside Reading into Platform 4 may finally come to an end!?   Smiley

Boppy.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2010, 20:51:11 »

From getreading.co.uk:

Reading Station plans still on say Network Rail

Network Rail has rubbished claims made on BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) Berkshire Radio this morning that plans to redevelop Reading Station have been scrapped.

Work is already under way on the scheme to improve the station as part of a multi-million pound development and rail bosses have said rumours the plans were being scrapped by the Government were not accurate.

Russell Spink, Network Rail spokesman, said: ""The upgrade of Reading's railway is funded as part of our current funding settlement, which runs until 2014, and this settlement is not under review. The project is already under way; our engineers are already working at Caversham and Vastern Road bridges and on Napier Road. We recognise that we're operating in a tough economic environment and we are looking carefully at all of our projects to make sure we work efficiently and deliver value for money. However to suggest that the entire Reading project is suspended is simply not correct."

A Department for Transport (DfT» (Department for Transport - about)) statement made yesterday said that all transport schemes were under review until they had been given the go-ahead by the new Government.

This includes the Cow Lane bridges aspect of the road network to be completed by Reading Borough Council that will be reviewed in the autumn but not the town centre area development that includes Station Hill, due to start later this month.

Mr Spink added: "We have the cash to carry out our projects which are unaffected by the announcement. The DfT^s announcement applies to local government transport schemes only. It^s important to make clear that Network Rail^s work at Cow Lane is part of our Reading project and is not affected by any cuts or reviews. The DfT money which is now under review was for the council to improve the roads nearby to get them ready for the extra traffic that will probably be using them when we widen the bridges".

eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2010, 00:03:00 »

Let's hope Networkrail is right and there is funding for teh whole scheme, other wise it's in danger of becoming another Leeds rebuild in teh 50s/60s which kept getting started and stopped.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2010, 21:12:53 »

Traffic concerns over bridge widening leads to footpath

A temporary footpath is being installed under a bridge which is being widened for the ^400m revamp of Reading railway station.

The pedestrian crossing at Vastern Road, which runs under the bridge, was removed so the roadworks could begin.

It was replaced with a diversion leading pedestrians around the Vastern Road roundabout but it is understood some people are walking into the road.

The council said pedestrian and motorist safety are a priority.

Richard Willis, Reading's lead councillor for transport and strategic planning, said: "I am pleased that improvements are to be made and hope that pedestrians and cyclists will find the new footpath safer to use."

Network Rail's improvements include five new platforms, an elevated railway and a new station entrance.

Vastern Road railway bridge is being widened to make way for new and longer train platforms, a spokeswoman said.

A row of pedestrian barriers will also be put in place along the east side of Vastern Road to protect pedestrians from traffic underneath the bridge.

Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2010, 23:50:59 »

Money being wasted just because some people can't be bothered to walk a little bit further..
John R

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2010, 10:20:18 »

And people wonder why projects over-run.
mjones
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2010, 21:36:35 »

Work on the new bridge to the Waterloo platforms is clearly progressing now, and I'm curious as to what it will actually look like when finished. I am assuming that the new bridge will be double track and will serve both the current platform 4b and the new platform to be built next to 4b? Then I assume the 4a platform will be extended across the existing bridge, presumably with the platform deck straddling both existing and new bridges to serve both 4a and 4b? I'm curious as to where the new bridge and track will join the existing line, as there is quite a steep descent from the other side of the bridge.
Oxman
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2010, 22:36:13 »

All very good questions, and I don't know all the answers. I do know that there will be a third platform to the south of the existing platforms, that they wll all be extended (I think I was told 12 car) and that there will be a double track approach in place of the existing single lead. How they will make the gradients work is indeed an interesting question!
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2010, 18:54:24 »

How they will make the gradients work is indeed an interesting question!

I took a look a while ago and reckoned on there being just enough room for 12-car platforms (if the buffers remain where they are now) before the gradient starts.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 230
  Print  

Jump to: