18:12 Salisbury to Cheltenham Spa
18:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
19:13 Salisbury to Worcester Shrub Hill
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 27, 2024, 03:12:10 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[141] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[73] access for all at Devon stations report
[47] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[17] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[3] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[2] Cornish delays

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 230
  Print  
Author Topic: Reading Station improvements  (Read 1363351 times)
EBrown

View Profile
« Reply #1275 on: March 01, 2013, 17:04:42 »

In a useful move the barrier separating ticketed/unticketed traffic across the bridge has been completely removed. It felt rather spacious for the first time in years.
Indeed, the contracting company (I think Carilion) were busy taking it out and filling the holes with concrete when I passed through. I took this at 2245 last night.

I had quite a productive time actually, had a chat with Jim Holden, a bunch of (on-board) revenue staff who would be on the midnight shift telling people about the closed footbridge. Then there was a points failure and ^240 taxi, but that's in the past.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 18:48:14 by EBrown » Logged

I am no longer an active member of this website.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: March 01, 2013, 23:11:54 »

A video update from January from Grimshaws http://vimeo.com/58926497
Oxman
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: March 02, 2013, 00:12:17 »

Visited the station today and took a "few" pics:

This is the entrance to the walking route from the South side. FGW (First Great Western) worker on hand to offer assistance.

Turn left and the stairs and ramps down to the subway open up. First impression is that the quality of finish is excellent. For example, the top of the walls are capped with a timber cladding - looks really superb.

View down the ramp nearest the new south side building. Again, the quality of finish is excellent. The brick wall and stainless steel finishes are striking. Just hope they have applied a coat of grafitti resistant stuff!

Entrance to the subway on the south side. It is very well lit and the brick/tile work is of a high standard. Also noticed lots of CCTV (Closed Circuit Tele Vision) cameras.

Inside the subway. Its very long! Lights are continuous at a high level along the the left hand side. Plenty of CCTV.

On the north side the walking route passes though the construction yard. There is a manned crossing point for works vehicles.

View from the Car Park across the north side construction site, with the walking route cutting though it. I timed the walk from the bottom of the lifts to the station entrance on the south side and, at my leisurely pace, it took about six mins. So suggesting an allowance of 15mins is reasonably conservative. I met four FGW staff acting as marshalls.

View from the car park to the now closed section of the bridge. Demolition signs up and men at work inside.

Level 9 of the car park, showing the boarded off entrance to the footbridge. No one will miss this!

Back to the main station now and the staircase from the concourse to the overbridge, which has been closed off.

View of the overbridge with the partition removed. Huge improvement!

The north end of the footbridge where the "Vastern Road" gateline used to be, now boarded off. Closure of the walking route across the bridge has done wonders for revenue protection. So many of the loopholes have been closed. The only way out of the station is through the main gateline. I saw half a dozen revenue protection staff having an absolute field day at the gateline!

And finally, a view of the first electrification gantry to be erected over the new platforms. The metalwork at both ends is to stop silly people from climbing up on to the canopy roof and out along the gantry, where they might kill themselves. Shame!

Overall impression is of a job well done. If the rest of the build is to the same standard, it will be a magnificent station.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 01:02:10 by Oxman » Logged
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: March 02, 2013, 00:38:31 »

Does the bridge closure mean XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) catering supplies have to go round via the subway and ramps?  I think they were operating from portakabins down at ground level by the car park for the duration of the work so far?

Paul
Oxman
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: March 02, 2013, 00:39:48 »

Does the bridge closure mean XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) catering supplies have to go round via the subway and ramps?  I think they were operating from portakabins down at ground level by the car park for the duration of the work so far?

Paul

It appeared so - saw some going that way.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: March 02, 2013, 08:44:40 »

The screens are there to allow roof maintenance with taking an isolation of the OLE (Overhead Line Equipment, more often "OHLE") and not as an anti climbing guard that can be done with a chevaux de frise (which is what the spikes are around the edge of the screens.  Rule for working near to OLE without an isolation is 2.75m (9ft rule) or where there is screening 600mm (2ft rule).

This is a good piece of forward thinking design work to be CDM (Construction (Design & Management) Regulations) obligations.

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: March 02, 2013, 11:04:11 »

...that can be done with a chevaux de frise ...

... or whatever they call them in France.

Excellent set of pictures, Oxman! I know what to expect now.

Now, please!
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: March 02, 2013, 11:41:14 »

Does anyone know when the footbridge is actually being removed?

I assume there is some work to be done inside first - not least disconnecting the electricity, but how long will this take?

Oxman
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: March 02, 2013, 11:46:18 »

Does anyone know when the footbridge is actually being removed?

I assume there is some work to be done inside first - not least disconnecting the electricity, but how long will this take?

The reporter on BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) last night said it would be gone in about a week's time.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: March 02, 2013, 12:38:25 »

As the Country End (West) of the station works doesn't seem to feature much I took these photographs yesterday (01 March 2013) during a quick 10 min interchange between trains:

The new turnout between Platform No.8 and the new Down Main (existing Down Relief) line.  No signal just yet Shocked

...and the station works (you wouldn't know the old bay Platform No.7 ever existed)
swrural

View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: March 02, 2013, 13:06:39 »

These are especially interesting now that we have lost the first web cam (not that it covered this end anyway).  Most grateful, thanks.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: March 02, 2013, 16:58:40 »

...that can be done with a chevaux de frise ...

... or whatever they call them in France.

Chevaux de frise a medieval defensive obstacle as such would have been words recognised a 1000 years ago in England  Grin

It also looks like they have used the station roof columns to support the OHLE structures

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: March 02, 2013, 18:15:24 »

It also looks like they have used the station roof columns to support the OHLE structures

Yes, we'll have to wait until more structures are fitted, but it appears, from the one example we have so far, to be a very neat and unobtrusive solution.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: March 02, 2013, 21:19:31 »

Many thanks to everyone for posting this recent set of pics. I didn't travel on Friday but it looks like I will notice some difference when I resume my commute on Monday.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: March 03, 2013, 11:55:00 »

Unless there are more than one, it would be a cheval de frise.

Now, please!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 230
  Print  

Jump to: