Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
16th Apr (1987)
~ Tulyar arrives at Swanley New Barn Railway (link)

Train RunningCancelled
13:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
18:02 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
22:28 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
23:32 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
Short Run
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
15:23 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
15:28 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
18:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
18:34 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
19:56 Cardiff Central to Taunton
Delayed
15/04/24 21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
06:28 Bristol Temple Meads to Cardiff Central
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 16, 2024, 06:54:41 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[127] Okehampton
[119] The One-Way Wizzo
[59] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[53] From Melksham to Tallinn by train
[44] A two carriage train running back and forth - Swedish differen...
[30] 2024 Delays and Cancellations - North Cotswold Line

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 218 219 [220] 221 222 ... 230
  Print  
Author Topic: Reading Station improvements  (Read 1361153 times)
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #3285 on: October 06, 2015, 19:46:20 »

I also think it was on a wish list of small improvements, as useful in case of disruption, and could be combined with work to lengthen P2 to take 12-car trains.

At the risk of being picky do you mean P2?
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #3286 on: October 06, 2015, 20:19:01 »

At the risk of being picky, aren't P2 and P2 the same?
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #3287 on: October 06, 2015, 20:50:58 »

At the risk of being picky, aren't P2 and P2 the same?

You are 100% correct about P2 being the same as P2...I think I have clarified my own confusion ...am I right in thinking you are talking about P2 at Wokingham?
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3288 on: October 06, 2015, 22:01:20 »

You are 100% correct about P2 being the same as P2...I think I have clarified my own confusion ...am I right in thinking you are talking about P2 at Wokingham?
Of course: the one with the turnback signal in question sitting on it.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3289 on: November 02, 2015, 20:54:43 »

I would guess that once it is down to 8 storeys or so, the big  nipper, such as was used at Bristol's New Bridewell police HQ (Headquarters), will finish the job off.

Apparently not, in this case. It's down to about six storeys and they are still attacking it from its interim roof. Don't you think that baby elevator/loader looks rather fun as a gardening tool?

A further picture shows they have accumulated a huge heap of hardcore - permissions these days usually insist it is used on site if possible, so I wonder where they have in mind.

Finally, the space next to it has been rather laboriously surfaced, but with what intent is not clear. It has faint lines at the far end suggestive of car spaces, but they could be for raised beds, seating, or almost anything. I can't now find, let alone remember, what that picture of the proposed temporary pedestrian area looked like.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #3290 on: November 02, 2015, 20:57:57 »

Apparently not, in this case. It's down to about six storeys and they are still attacking it from its interim roof. Don't you think that baby elevator/loader looks rather fun as a gardening tool?

I agree - it would make short work of my veg patch.

A further picture shows they have accumulated a huge heap of hardcore - permissions these days usually insist it is used on site if possible, so I wonder where they have in mind.

Danish, in my case, although some German in the interests of diversity.

Now, please!
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3291 on: January 06, 2016, 19:21:25 »

Accident on escalator on P14/15 at Reading this morning.

http://www.getreading.co.uk/news/reading-berkshire-news/network-rail-launches-investigation-after-10694737
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #3292 on: January 07, 2016, 09:35:39 »

sounds like it was a broken escalator which people were using as a fixed staircase when it started to move downwards presumably under the load of users and/or following a failure of a brake.  Some people fell over onto other people.  Noone was seriously hurt. 
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #3293 on: January 07, 2016, 10:25:12 »

But they could easily have done. That's the problem when you don't build fixed stairs into a project - one needs to use broken escalators or a small lift. It'll be interesting to see how they proceed....
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #3294 on: January 07, 2016, 10:57:49 »

That's the problem when you don't build fixed stairs into a project - one needs to use broken escalators or a small lift.

Stairs are available to all platforms, though on 12/13 and 14/15 they are located at the 'B' end of the platform, and if you arrive at the 'A' end of the platform that seems like an awfully long way away.  I'd rather do that than use one of the two lifts if the escalators are out of action and there's a long queue though.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3295 on: January 07, 2016, 12:15:51 »

But they could easily have done. That's the problem when you don't build fixed stairs into a project - one needs to use broken escalators or a small lift. It'll be interesting to see how they proceed....

There are four main islands, P8/9 has stairs both sides of the transfer deck, the other three narrower platforms only have stairs on the country side.  So five main routes out of eight do have stairs.

Not forgetting serious amounts of stairs on the north and south end of the transfer deck.   

Anyone reading the news article might be forgiven for thinking a lift was the only alternative, but surely you are commenting from the position of having been to the station?

Paul
Gordon the Blue Engine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3296 on: March 10, 2016, 09:08:50 »

This escalator was still out of action yesterday 2 months on from the runaway incident, which means the only access direct to P15A is one escalator which runs downwards (at least in the mornings).  So the many commuters into Reading off Oxford ^ Padd stoppers have to walk all the way back to P15B to get off the platform. Many of these will be changing to an HST (High Speed Train) for London ^ passengers see their train sail through P15B and past the escalator, and the extra time involved in getting off P15 can mean missing a train.

I suggested this before, but I^ll suggest it again ^ why can^t trains stop in P15B instead of P15A until the escalator on P15A is fixed? 

onthecushions
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3297 on: March 10, 2016, 18:46:41 »

"Inspector Sands" called to Brunel concourse at 0850 this Thursday am. Passenger evacuation PA (Public Address) call interrupted in mid sentence.

?

OTC
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3298 on: March 10, 2016, 19:33:50 »

Surely there have to be fixed stairs to all platforms unless there is level access. You can't have access only by means which are power dependent and escalators are not really suitable to use as stairs; even without the possibility of brake failure, the riser height is usually too high for most people to comfortably walk up and down them. It would be a disaster waiting to happen in the event of a big fire.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3299 on: March 10, 2016, 22:35:09 »

Surely there have to be fixed stairs to all platforms unless there is level access. You can't have access only by means which are power dependent and escalators are not really suitable to use as stairs; even without the possibility of brake failure, the riser height is usually too high for most people to comfortably walk up and down them. It would be a disaster waiting to happen in the event of a big fire.

But there are fixed stairs to all the platforms.  The earlier point about the only alternative being lifts was wrong.

Additionally, in the event of a fire the completely new platforms have escape stairs at both ends.

Paul
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 218 219 [220] 221 222 ... 230
  Print  

Jump to: