21:02 Oxford to London Paddington
Short Run
15:50 Penzance to Gloucester
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 19:22:01 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[333] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[69] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[53] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[30] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[28] Signage - not making it easy ...
[6] IETs at Melksham

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 221 222 [223] 224 225 ... 230
  Print  
Author Topic: Reading Station improvements  (Read 1361704 times)
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3330 on: August 30, 2017, 19:51:37 »

I see that the West Country HSTs (High Speed Train) are using a new route (new at least to me!) to avoid Reading during the 16th/17th September blockade.  They will, in the up direction, be calling Swindon and then routeing Didcot West Curve, Oxford, Islip, High Wycombe, South Ruislip, Greenford, OOC (Old Oak Common (depot)) and Paddington non-stop from Swindon.  I have done all parts of this route but not in one direct HST.

That applies to South Wales too - one train each way each route per hour.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #3331 on: August 30, 2017, 20:51:10 »

I understood there's a stop in Oxford to pick up a Chiltern pilot
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3332 on: August 30, 2017, 22:19:13 »

More info on this thread
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #3333 on: August 31, 2017, 12:49:48 »

Yes, there will have to be.  Train Manager's will sign the route, but drivers won't.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3334 on: August 31, 2017, 13:50:05 »

Yes, there will have to be.  Train Manager's will sign the route, but drivers won't.
What does pilot mean in this case? Like a harbour pilot on a ship, who acts as a guide but someone else still is at the wheel and the captain remains in command (I'm not quite sure how this translates to a train but presumably they would give advance warning to the driver of stations, signals, speed limits, and so on); or someone who will actually drive the train for that section then hand over when they get back to the route the driver knows (presumably OOC (Old Oak Common (depot))) (in which case why isn't this pilot called a driver)?

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3335 on: August 31, 2017, 16:20:54 »

What does pilot mean in this case? Like a harbour pilot on a ship, who acts as a guide but someone else still is at the wheel and the captain remains in command (I'm not quite sure how this translates to a train but presumably they would give advance warning to the driver of stations, signals, speed limits, and so on); or someone who will actually drive the train for that section then hand over when they get back to the route the driver knows (presumably OOC (Old Oak Common (depot))) (in which case why isn't this pilot called a driver)?

I thought the usual term used was 'conductor driver'.   Maybe there are historic differences in terminology...

Paul
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #3336 on: August 31, 2017, 19:05:48 »

You are 'conducted over the route by a conductor driver' (official terminology) or 'need to be piloted' or something similar (employee slang).

Procedure is pretty much as Bmnlbzzz described, and usually involves freight company drivers.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #3337 on: August 31, 2017, 23:42:59 »

You are 'conducted over the route by a conductor driver' (official terminology) or 'need to be piloted' or something similar (employee slang).

Procedure is pretty much as Bmnlbzzz described, and usually involves freight company drivers.

Does the conductor driver leave the controls occasionally to check tickets?  Grin
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #3338 on: September 01, 2017, 08:07:21 »

The history of this gets confused in places, this is my little understanding of it

When the signalling is out of use for any reason could be Absolute Block, Token Block or track circuited MAS trains need to operate over a single line trains could be "Piloted" through the section(s) that was a man posted at a signal or signal box who after seeking authority from the signaller would conduct the train though the section, that is he would ride in the cab with the driver and get off at the end of the effected area, he would then conduct a train back, slow process as there was only one Pilotman. Most of this is dealt with by talking a train through by the use of cab secure radio

Another Pilot was an locomotive coupled to the head of a train where the driver of the had not signed a route, typically this was where a "foreign" engine was working another companies metals so was piloted through the route.  Today its more practical to place a driver conductor as a pilot in the train to conduct the driver of the train over an unsigned route.

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
rower40
Transport Scholar

Turning signalling into a video game since 1988.

View Profile
« Reply #3339 on: September 04, 2017, 16:01:35 »

The history of this gets confused in places, this is my little understanding of it

When the signalling is out of use for any reason could be Absolute Block, Token Block or track circuited MAS trains need to operate over a single line trains could be "Piloted" through the section(s) that was a man posted at a signal or signal box who after seeking authority from the signaller would conduct the train though the section, that is he would ride in the cab with the driver and get off at the end of the effected area, he would then conduct a train back, slow process as there was only one Pilotman. Most of this is dealt with by talking a train through by the use of cab secure radio

Another Pilot was an locomotive coupled to the head of a train where the driver of the had not signed a route, typically this was where a "foreign" engine was working another companies metals so was piloted through the route.  Today its more practical to place a driver conductor as a pilot in the train to conduct the driver of the train over an unsigned route.
A classic case of the same word being used for various different things:
"Pilot" engine: engine attached to the front of a train, to provide additional power.  The engine already attached to the train is named the "train engine".
"Pilot"man working: This may be co-incidence, but I understood that, in this case only, "PILOT" is an acronym for "Person In Lieu Of Token".  The man in question wears an armband with "PILOT" written on it, and he liaises with the signaller as to whether to give permission for the train to proceed, and which signals the driver may ignore.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #3340 on: September 04, 2017, 16:49:35 »

...I understood that, in this case only, "PILOT" is an acronym for "Person In Lieu Of Token".

A backronym, or I'm a Dutch squirrel's uncle. There is a clear sense of a pilot as a guide, and that surely is what this is.

Back in the unenlightened days when this method of working was devised, people hadn't been invented - there were only 'men' (e.g. fireman, signalman etc). So it would have to have been 'Man In Lieu Of Token', or MILOT. This is rather confirmed by the fact that all the armbands I've ever seen say 'PILOT MAN' (with or without the space). And MILOTMAN is tautological as well as a bit silly-sounding.

So: No.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #3341 on: September 04, 2017, 21:11:02 »

Found this rather super film about wrong line working. No prizes for working out where Averton Hammer and Boiland are, but see if you can work it out before you get to the end of the film!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJP3l9tSuwo

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
rower40
Transport Scholar

Turning signalling into a video game since 1988.

View Profile
« Reply #3342 on: September 04, 2017, 21:37:39 »

...I understood that, in this case only, "PILOT" is an acronym for "Person In Lieu Of Token".

A backronym, or I'm a Dutch squirrel's uncle. There is a clear sense of a pilot as a guide, and that surely is what this is.

Back in the unenlightened days when this method of working was devised, people hadn't been invented - there were only 'men' (e.g. fireman, signalman etc). So it would have to have been 'Man In Lieu Of Token', or MILOT. This is rather confirmed by the fact that all the armbands I've ever seen say 'PILOT MAN' (with or without the space). And MILOTMAN is tautological as well as a bit silly-sounding.

So: No.
Fairy Nuff.  I'm still going to use the backronym as an aide-memoire for how Pilotman-working is used.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #3343 on: September 13, 2017, 13:55:01 »

With thanks to several members of the Coffee Shop forum for their subsequent posts, I've now moved their more light-hearted discussion to a new topic, at http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=18703.0  Wink

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #3344 on: September 13, 2017, 16:45:20 »

%0 years ago I piloted a train where the driver hadn't signed the route.

One winter's Sunday night at Sutton with the line to Victoria via Hackbridge shut with all trains going via West Croydon to Selhurst. As ASM (Assistant Station Master) I was doing bus replacement late shift.

About 21:00 confronted by Station Inspector to say the driver of an up Bognor fast ( 8 COR/Nelson, they were routed via Sutton in those days). doesn't know road and there was no pilotman/conductor available. I offered to take him knowing all the signals, I can still remember them. We trotted round south London at 40 mph and I was dropped at Selhurst on the Up Main platform. Via a piece of track no longer in place. We had all greens except for West Croydon B's distant which they never pulled because it was a long pull round a corner and usually all trains stopped in any case.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 221 222 [223] 224 225 ... 230
  Print  

Jump to: