Foundation, Beatties of London (link)

Train RunningCancelled
22:18 London Paddington to Oxford
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 23:00:49 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[260] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[200] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[54] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[48] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[23] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[22] Signage - not making it easy ...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 230
  Print  
Author Topic: Reading Station improvements  (Read 1361744 times)
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #405 on: November 18, 2011, 21:06:13 »

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #406 on: November 18, 2011, 21:13:34 »

With many thanks for your latest summary, IndustryInsider, I've also just 'un-linked' this topic from our calendar entry - and without deleting the whole thing, thank goodness! Roll Eyes

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
mjones
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #407 on: November 18, 2011, 21:18:12 »

Wouldn't be better if the "Arrived" indication came up when the train entered the track circuit for the platform starting signal?

If it said "Arriving" rather than "Arrived" then there wouldn't be confusion, a simple fix surely?
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #408 on: November 19, 2011, 11:37:48 »

Wouldn't be better if the "Arrived" indication came up when the train entered the track circuit for the platform starting signal?

If it said "Arriving" rather than "Arrived" then there wouldn't be confusion, a simple fix surely?

Then people would complain that it showed arriving when the train had arrived? It can be fixed with a software timer I expect, it will be a similar problem to that which arises at certain stations when the 'passing train' warning is too early, or the 'this train terminates here - all change' happens too early.

Gordon's possibility mentioned above is not quite how it works, because the aspect of a platform starter isn't (in general) controlled by the approaching train, the track circuits on the approach side of a signal are usually being used to control the signal behind the train, ie where it has come from...

Paul 
EBrown

View Profile
« Reply #409 on: November 19, 2011, 16:41:51 »

Does anyone know the dates that Cow Lane will be closed as Network Rail work on the bridges please? Currently, their website says:
A further road closure will be required in December.

II, thanks for posting the development updates for staff, I've been looking everywhere for updates and signing up to FGWs (First Great Western) ~/reading page seems to have sent me nothing about the station updates, but plenty of offers, places to go etc.

I am no longer an active member of this website.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #410 on: November 19, 2011, 17:26:53 »

Does anyone know the dates that Cow Lane will be closed as Network Rail work on the bridges please? Currently, their website says:
A further road closure will be required in December.

II, thanks for posting the development updates for staff, I've been looking everywhere for updates and signing up to FGWs (First Great Western) ~/reading page seems to have sent me nothing about the station updates, but plenty of offers, places to go etc.

19th December for 5 weeks according to this article

http://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/news/roundup/articles/2011/11/19/55405-huge-project-could-face-weather-hurdle/
EBrown

View Profile
« Reply #411 on: November 19, 2011, 17:54:49 »

Thank-you.

eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #412 on: November 20, 2011, 11:24:40 »

My wife went through Reading yesterday, reported she couuldn't see how to get to the Three Guineas. Is it shut?
mjones
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #413 on: November 20, 2011, 11:30:58 »

As noted on another thread, HSTs (High Speed Train) calling at Platform 4 are now stopped right down the far western end of the platform. I think this is to do with managing the pedestrian flows, though I can't see any benefit apart from maybe getting more alighting passengers to use the temporary exit near Platform 1. It does mean that lots of passengers wanting to board trains are now having to fight their way along a crowded platform 4 to reach the standard class coaches, and no doubt lots of people boarding via first class to avoid missing their train. Does anyone know if this arrangement is intended to last throughout the rebuilding? Any chance of it being reviewed?
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #414 on: November 20, 2011, 11:39:55 »

As noted on another thread, HSTs (High Speed Train) calling at Platform 4 are now stopped right down the far western end of the platform. I think this is to do with managing the pedestrian flows, though I can't see any benefit apart from maybe getting more alighting passengers to use the temporary exit near Platform 1. It does mean that lots of passengers wanting to board trains are now having to fight their way along a crowded platform 4 to reach the standard class coaches, and no doubt lots of people boarding via first class to avoid missing their train. Does anyone know if this arrangement is intended to last throughout the rebuilding? Any chance of it being reviewed?

My understanding is that this was done because of the reduced width between the hoardings on P4 and the platform edge. In the morning when I travel from Thatcham and have to change at Reading for the Gatwick train P4 is almost empty so this isn't a problem but on the return journey at 5.30 P4 is understandably very busy and space on the platform is limited so this change makes sense to me. Congestion on P4 isn't helped by Cyclists riding their bikes along the platform and passengers who dawdle because they havent got a clue where they should be (despite announcesments advising them to move right down the platform.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #415 on: November 20, 2011, 11:47:59 »

As BerkshireBugsy says, it's due to the narrow width of the platforms where the hoardings are currently erected.  I think it is under constant review, but I can't see anything changing until the hoardings come down.  Similarly, 3-Car Turbos now stop some 15 metres back in the other direction which means anyone waiting in the centre of the platform also has to get walking fast to get on the train.  Perhaps better use of signs and announcements could be made though?

There will inevitably be a few years of inconvenience at different areas of the station for months at a time due to the massive rebuilding programme - platform 9 is a good example at the moment as with no canopy there's precious little shelter from the elements.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
EBrown

View Profile
« Reply #416 on: November 20, 2011, 19:58:03 »

My wife went through Reading yesterday, reported she couuldn't see how to get to the Three Guineas. Is it shut?
No, it's still open. The entrance is still the same too.

ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #417 on: November 22, 2011, 23:21:01 »

Some more photographs now on:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=501601&page=7
EBrown

View Profile
« Reply #418 on: November 24, 2011, 04:53:39 »

I received a lovely email (with horrendous grammar and spelling) from Network Rail today telling me they would update their website as it was "falling short [on] this occasion".

They also confirmed the road closures affecting through traffic from 19th Dec to 30th January.

On top of that, they emailed me a newsletter about works and affected train services that will be "distributed starting next week" - so I'll post it on Monday (though many members of the site have probably already seen it!)

BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #419 on: November 24, 2011, 06:27:12 »

Although I travel through reading every working day it is dark at both ends of my journey so I don't get to see the progress on the new platform (4?) Which is being built next to platform 4b so am pleased to see the updates coming out vie this forum.

Am I dreaming or is it supposed to be ready for use when they change the platform numbers over the Xmas break?

Once again thanks for the updates and newsletter - much appreciated
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 230
  Print  

Jump to: