Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
06:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
07:00 Bedwyn to Newbury
07:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
07:49 Bedwyn to Newbury
08:13 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:46 Bedwyn to Newbury
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:23 Hereford to London Paddington
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:48 Exeter St Davids to Exmouth
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
07:38 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
07:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Westbury
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 07:01:14 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[82] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[76] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[74] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[67] Return of the BRUTE?
[57] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 230
  Print  
Author Topic: Reading Station improvements  (Read 1356645 times)
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #435 on: November 30, 2011, 14:41:39 »

New starting signals for the southern platforms have been installed, blanked out pending commissioning over Christmas.  Standalone signal masts to replace the overhead gantry that currently houses their equivalents.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
lordgoata
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #436 on: November 30, 2011, 15:22:57 »

Anyone know why there has been a change to the infomation screens to show 'arrived'? seems a bit pointless as often it says it quite a while before the service shows up.

They are just being consistent with the "On time" display that is shown for trains that are running up to 3 minutes late Wink
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #437 on: November 30, 2011, 16:25:00 »

Anyone know why there has been a change to the infomation screens to show 'arrived'? seems a bit pointless as often it says it quite a while before the service shows up.

Your question has already arrived - back in October on page 26 of this thread...   Grin

The ensuing discussions tried to work out what triggered the early arrival of the arrived indication.   Huh

Paul
Louis94

View Profile
« Reply #438 on: November 30, 2011, 16:38:33 »

The arrival indication is triggered by the passing of the signal outside of the platform, the reason for its early appearance will be because of how far out of the station this signal is.
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #439 on: November 30, 2011, 16:42:37 »

On arrival on platform 4b last night (Tuesday 29th Nov) it *appeared* as if the trackways on the new platform 4 were being cleared ready for track laying- is this the case or was I imagining it ? It was very dark outside!
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #440 on: November 30, 2011, 18:51:27 »

They were using one of those laser controlled 'road rail' bulldozers to level the formation on Monday afternoon - I asked a passing 'orange person with a NR» (Network Rail - home page) label' if that meant track laying was reasonably imminent, and he didn't say no!

Which just goes to show that what I was told at the information display outside the station a few months back might have been duff gen.  (I mentioned the other day that the tracks in new P4 couldn't be laid because they might interfere with those in new P5 - of course it may just turn out that they can be physically installed, but not actually used by trains as the full 'six foot' gap isn't there.)

They're definitely at a stage where a lot can happen in a week, I noticed that beyond Vastern Rd bridge the platform copings were in position,  and immediately on the station side of the bridge a stockpile of copings and tactile pavers was in position - they can be put in place pretty quickly I expect.

Paul
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #441 on: November 30, 2011, 19:29:33 »

Thanks Paul I am genuinely impressed with the progress made in the last two daya
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #442 on: December 01, 2011, 06:25:45 »

I noticed this morning (Thursday 1st dec) 3 new upright supports just past the covered area on the above platforms - out of curiosity does anyone know what these are for? They would be about the right for support a roof extension but would be suprised if that is what they are for.

You can tell I have too much time on my hands when changing trains at reading!
Boppy

View Profile
« Reply #443 on: December 02, 2011, 11:44:36 »

Some pictures I took this morning of the work on Platform 9.

Most of the buildings appear to have been knocked down with the spoil heaps out to the west.

What interests me next which, hasn't been discussed much as far as I'm aware, is the track work about to happen on platform 9.  I see that pieces of spare track have been laid down next to the existing track and there are bags of ballast sat at one end.

As I understand it the plan is for the existing platform 9 to be extended southward (to make room to the north for the new platforms)  So I'm assuming the first step is to re-lay the track for platform 9 to make space for the platform to be extended southwards?

Boppy.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #444 on: December 02, 2011, 12:30:42 »

Platform 9 (10 in the new scheme) definitely does get widened to the south over its full length,  there will only be two tracks between the two existing islands - the eventual up and down mains as it happens. 

However what surprises me is the possibility that it is happening over the Christmas and New Year partial closure of the station.  Unless they are using some sort of very high speed installation method with prefabricated sections it seems a very ambitious timescale...

Paul 
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #445 on: December 02, 2011, 12:34:57 »

On my way in to Reading this morning (from Reading West) I notice two yellow Network Rail sets parked up in the area next to the GWML (Great Western Main Line).Does anyone know if these are here in relation to any local acitvities (such as track laying changes to Reading Station)?
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #446 on: December 02, 2011, 14:59:22 »

I noticed this morning (Thursday 1st dec) 3 new upright supports just past the covered area on the above platforms - out of curiosity does anyone know what these are for? They would be about the right for support a roof extension but would be suprised if that is what they are for.

I would guess they're supports for a barrier that will separate platforms 4A/B whilst work to lengthen them takes place one at a time.

What interests me next which, hasn't been discussed much as far as I'm aware, is the track work about to happen on platform 9.  I see that pieces of spare track have been laid down next to the existing track and there are bags of ballast sat at one end.

As I understand it the plan is for the existing platform 9 to be extended southward (to make room to the north for the new platforms)

I think that track will be laid in the gap very soon and some temporary platform sections will be required whilst a proper platform eventually takes shape a few metres south of the current one.  I think that sections of yellow coloured temporary platform are being installed down the slope to the eastern underpass - they certainly look like temporary sections of platform, and possibly the prefabricated sections that Paul was hinting at.  I'm sure the 'Station News' will tell us shortly.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
coachflyer

View Profile
« Reply #447 on: December 02, 2011, 15:57:35 »

Was told this week that over the Christmas period platform 9 (new 10) is being widened from the didcot end up to the over bridge with a 25mph speed through it.

paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #448 on: December 02, 2011, 16:24:00 »

I think that track will be laid in the gap very soon and some temporary platform sections will be required whilst a proper platform eventually takes shape a few metres south of the current one.  I think that sections of yellow coloured temporary platform are being installed down the slope to the eastern underpass - they certainly look like temporary sections of platform, and possibly the prefabricated sections that Paul was hinting at.  I'm sure the 'Station News' will tell us shortly.

That's the sort of method I was thinking of.  Presumably once you have something (anything) that allows passengers to reach the newly aligned track, you can replace it with the permanent structure gradually.  I once had an idea that you could build a mobile temporary deck that ran on the redundant rails for such a project - but I expect H&S (Health and Safety) experts wouldn't allow something that could set off down the line if its brakes failed...

Paul
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #449 on: December 03, 2011, 07:23:52 »

Last night I noticed on the CIS (Customer Information System) displays at Guildford showed that buses were replacing train services between Wokingham and Reading (Sunday only I think) so I wonder what is being done. I wish it was light when I travel in and out Reading so I could see what was going on!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 230
  Print  

Jump to: