Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:00 Gatwick Airport to Reading
09:46 Westbury to Swindon
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
10:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
16:23 Westbury to Swindon
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
21:16 Westbury to Swindon
22:30 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 10:16:52 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[149] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[64] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[59] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[58] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[52] Return of the BRUTE?
[36] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 230
  Print  
Author Topic: Reading Station improvements  (Read 1356695 times)
mjones
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #480 on: December 16, 2011, 19:05:13 »

I'm going to be genuinely impressed if the new p4 is open as scheduled. There still seems a lot to do and I guess Fgw staff can't have familiariastion training whilst it is still technically a construction site.

But there are still quite a few calendar days left before the 27th so there is still a chance.

I'm sure they can get it all finished in time, but like you I'm also quite surprised at how much is being done so close to the deadline. Have there been delays? It seems a bit hair raising if it was planned this way from the start. They were still pouring concrete for the platform base in late november, not much margin for delay...
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #481 on: December 16, 2011, 19:22:56 »

I'm sure they can get it all finished in time, but like you I'm also quite surprised at how much is being done so close to the deadline. Have there been delays? It seems a bit hair raising if it was planned this way from the start. They were still pouring concrete for the platform base in late november, not much margin for delay...

IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly) there were some delays to the area immediately adjacent to the buffer stop end, they had to dig out a massive lump of concrete and then do a load of concrete grouting to reinforce the underlying earth before digging out for the footings.

I also think they'll make the overall deadline easily now though.   

Paul
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #482 on: December 17, 2011, 11:06:26 »

I also think they'll make the overall deadline easily now though.   

There really isn't that much to do, and don't forget that even if things did get tight there's no actual need for the far end to open on time as the longest trains will still only be 8-car length, so as long as that much is finished, the bit under the canopy, there will be no operational problems.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #483 on: December 17, 2011, 14:23:30 »

Latest rumour, largely  unsubstantiated, is that the project is on time and may even be slightly ahead.
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #484 on: December 17, 2011, 15:28:12 »

A lot of activity around the new p4 today (Saturday) - the 3rd rail pillars are in place and part of the 3rd rail itself has been laid.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #485 on: December 19, 2011, 20:40:04 »

A lot of activity around the new p4 today (Saturday) - the 3rd rail pillars are in place and part of the 3rd rail itself has been laid.

The are pots not pillars Roll Eyes
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #486 on: December 19, 2011, 21:12:57 »

Pots, or posts?  Huh Tongue

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #487 on: December 20, 2011, 06:23:43 »

My description of the equipment required to hold the power rail in poaccsition may not have been technically accurate but it was close enough for others to know what I am talking about:)
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #488 on: December 20, 2011, 09:27:21 »

Pots was the nickname given when they were generally white ceramic devices. 

'Adjustable height insulators' are the modern equivalent you'd see on a new build or renewal...

Paul
Gordon the Blue Engine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #489 on: December 21, 2011, 15:40:44 »

Where are all the Freightliners etc going whilst the Cow Lane Bridge on Reading West curve is being replaced?  When I was waiting at Pangbourne yesterday for the 0947 to Rdg a FL came through on the UR (with the 0947 4L behind it - but that's another story) so I presume the rail closure is shorter than the road closure. 

I presume they wouldn't be reversed in Reading, so are they going via Kensington, or Westbury, or what?

Edited for typos
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 18:08:32 by Gordon the Blue Engine » Logged
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #490 on: December 21, 2011, 20:17:50 »

Cow Lane bridge is only closed to rail traffic for just over two days, from 5 pm on the 24th, 25th and 26th. 

I don't think there'll be much freight moving around the country on either day, but presumably it will be the Didcot - Oxford closure, which lasts longer, that will have a significant effect on freight routeings?

Paul
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #491 on: December 22, 2011, 06:27:48 »

Some things I noticed on wednesday 21st December

On the old p4 there is now a big diagram about halfway down the hoardings showing the new platform and track layouts

On the new p4 the signage is up in the NR» (Network Rail - home page) blue colours . There also seem to be some new signs signs opposite the excess fares office.

It looks like it is all coming together.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #492 on: December 22, 2011, 09:13:57 »

It looks like it is all coming together.
I am sure there is a P3e plan behind it mapped into Oracel to cost it all of which has had an ARM QRSA and QRA which is all, to me a humble Project Engineer, Project Manager gobbledygook for Can we build this ............. yes we can    Grin  Grin

There will be a very detailed plan for the whole of Reading with all the mile stones, key dependencies, contingencies, risks etc mapped into it this will not only have taken just Reading into account but the wider Western route and the wider impact that this station has Nationally

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #493 on: December 23, 2011, 12:00:33 »

Latest bumper edition of the station newsletter:

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
mjones
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #494 on: December 23, 2011, 13:37:30 »

Interesting, thanks for these updates.

I'm curious about the process for lengthening 4a/4b, as I would assume that the whole island would be extended in one go rather than two narrow strips one after the other. So once 4b is re-opened in March, and 4a closed, what further work will be required on 4a, apart from canopies etc?
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 230
  Print  

Jump to: