17:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
Delayed
06:01 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 05:45:50 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[176] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[71] Signage - not making it easy ...
[15] IETs at Melksham
[13] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[12] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train
[12] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 230
  Print  
Author Topic: Reading Station improvements  (Read 1361600 times)
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #495 on: December 23, 2011, 13:59:30 »

I'm sure that it would have been very desirable to alter both platforms at the same time, but there needs to be two southern platforms available for use at all times.  With both platforms getting straightened out (especially 4b) to fit into the new track layout, which of course has to be altered to allow their length to be extended to 12 carriages, that would not be possible to do all at once without closure of both platforms for a considerable amount of time.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #496 on: December 23, 2011, 14:43:21 »

I've an idea that much of the extension of what will become platform 5 and 6 may well be done while the first of the two platforms is out of use, ie when platform 5 reopens it might include the furthest 4 car length of platform 6 as well, because the significant section over the Vastern Rd bridge will presumably be prefabricated like the section of new platform 4 already completed.

What I'm thinking. IYSWIM, is that the eventual P6 closure might not take as long as the P5 closure...

Paul
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #497 on: December 26, 2011, 15:49:33 »

Cow Lane Bridge Work Delayed

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-berkshire-16142664

The BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) is reporting that the installation of the new bridge is delayed untill 18:00 because of water in the foundation holes.  Is that a full 10 hour delay or less?  Will it be possible to recover this time by Wednesday morning?
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 16:24:55 by ellendune » Logged
EBrown

View Profile
« Reply #498 on: December 27, 2011, 04:07:40 »

The BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) is reporting that the installation of the new bridge is delayed untill 18:00 because of water in the foundation holes.  Is that a full 10 hour delay or less?  Will it be possible to recover this time by Wednesday morning?

I was there between 0030 and 0100 and the bridge was still being moved into place. I then went to do some work (that's what I am being paid for). When I left 35 minutes ago it was finished. I was very pleasantly surprised at the number of people who were watching given the time.

I am no longer an active member of this website.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #499 on: December 27, 2011, 19:43:14 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

Reading Cow Lane bridge lifted into place after delay

A new 1,600-tonne bridge has been installed in Reading.

One of two bridges in Cow Lane was demolished on Christmas Day but the installation of its replacement was delayed because of water in the foundations.

It was finally manoeuvred into place with a 66-axle vehicle on Tuesday morning. Crowds of people turned out to watch the seven-hour operation.

Cow Lane will be closed until 30 January and diversions are in place.

Trains are due to start running over the new bridge, made of concrete and steel, later this week once the tracks are replaced.

The work will allow for two lanes of traffic, a cycle lane and a pavement under the new bridge.

It will mean double-decker buses can use the road.

Network Rail project director Bill Henry said the bridges were a "notorious bottleneck".

The new bridge structure has been built at a nearby site and is part of the ^850m Reading Station redevelopment.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #500 on: December 27, 2011, 20:02:18 »

The Live departure board at Reading seems very confused at the moment:

The 19:56 Paddington to Weston Super Mare is shown as Platform 4 (Has to be the old number 4)

The 20:06 Paddington to Plymouth is shown as Platform 7 (Has to be the new number 7)

So thats two successive trains leaving from the same platform (old 4 becomes new 7), but the departure board give two different numbers!

No wonder they need extra staff to direct passengers!

PS Not just a one off - P4 seems to crop up regularly and at least one p5. 
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 20:39:48 by ellendune » Logged
EBrown

View Profile
« Reply #501 on: December 30, 2011, 22:52:27 »

Time lapse footage of Cow Lane's bridge being replaced has been released.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-16367565

ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #502 on: December 30, 2011, 23:33:00 »

Time lapse footage of Cow Lane's bridge being replaced has been released.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-16367565

Thanks for that.

Not clear where the delay occured though. Also not sure why it is under Hampshire.
EBrown

View Profile
« Reply #503 on: December 31, 2011, 02:26:15 »

It doesn't appear in the Hampshire part of the website, I'd imagine it was just human error.

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #504 on: December 31, 2011, 11:50:05 »

A couple of photos of the new layout at Reading station.

Firstly the realigned platform 10 (old platform 8 ) with the temporary platform sections and a dramatic kink in the old track layout at the western end mean a 25mph speed restriction is now in force whilst the platform is rebuilt into island platforms 10 and 11.  Platform 11, the old platform 10, will then be converted from a bay to through platform.

And here's the new shiny platform 4 ready for business and looking very nice I have to say.  Track for platform 5 has also been re-laid ready for platform 5 to be rebuilt in a straighter formation over the coming months.  Note the position of the buffer stops, now a good coach length away from the physical end of the platform.  Modern safety standards I expect, though how many thousands of people will just miss their train over the coming years with that extra distance to go I wouldn't like to guess!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Jonathan H

View Profile
« Reply #505 on: December 31, 2011, 15:16:49 »

I rode to Wokingham from the new platform 4 (1234 Reading to Redhill) and back into platform 6 (1134 Redhill to Reading) to have a daytime ride over the new formation.  I was a little suprised at how far down into the dip the new junctions are.  Traversing the new junctions is however a lot smoother than before and should save a few seconds in the future.

From the car park, you can see clearly that trains in platform 4 stop almost a whole class 458 carriage length (20 metres) further east than in platforms 5 and 6.

Is any further trackwork planned or is the final formation now in place?
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #506 on: December 31, 2011, 16:46:08 »

Firstly the realigned platform 10 (old platform 8 ) with the temporary platform sections and a dramatic kink in the old track layout at the western end mean a 25mph speed restriction is now in force whilst the platform is rebuilt into island platforms 10 and 11.  Platform 11, the old platform 10, will then be converted from a bay to through platform.
Am I wrong? the photo is the old 9 taken from the old 8 at the old 6 (new 16) end, so is the old 9 the new 10?

Boy I thought KX was complex with its plat 0 and 9 3/4   Roll Eyes Grin

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #507 on: December 31, 2011, 16:51:47 »

Yep, sorry, I should have said 'realigned platform 10 (old platform 9)'

paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #508 on: December 31, 2011, 17:18:09 »

I rode to Wokingham from the new platform 4 (1234 Reading to Redhill) and back into platform 6 (1134 Redhill to Reading) to have a daytime ride over the new formation.  I was a little suprised at how far down into the dip the new junctions are.  Traversing the new junctions is however a lot smoother than before and should save a few seconds in the future.

...Is any further trackwork planned or is the final formation now in place?

The new junctions are significantly longer, to allow for various parallel moves in and out of the new platforms (ie at the same time), but without using any 'diamond' crossovers at all, as per current standards.  So an up train from new P4 has to weave across to the up line in two stages, rather than using a crossover straightover the down line.   

It is also seems current best practice is to avoid S&C (Settle and Carlisle ) components on any sort of gradient - so that also extends the whole layout.

From what I've seen previously I think the track layout is probably now complete.

Paul 
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #509 on: December 31, 2011, 18:31:12 »

It is also seems current best practice is to avoid S&C (Settle and Carlisle ) components on any sort of gradient - so that also extends the whole layout.

Some of the new crossovers are very much on a gradient!

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 230
  Print  

Jump to: