10:03 London Paddington to Penzance
14:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
15:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 20, 2024, 14:44:55 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[279] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[220] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[109] On reservations, fees and supplements - Interrail
[37] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[33] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[16] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 230
  Print  
Author Topic: Reading Station improvements  (Read 1361863 times)
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #525 on: January 07, 2012, 14:57:26 »

Paul,

I realise how they work, and that this is now the current standard, but what I'd like to know is whether the additional cost involved, if the new platform had to be made longer than would otherwise have been the case, is justified by the reduction in risk achieved. Clearly the risks of the older style buffers weren't considered unacceptable, otherwise thousands of trains wouldn't still be allowed to stop at them every day across the country.

I have mixed feelings about things like this.  It is good that new kit is safer than old kit and sensible for things gradually to improve.

The problem however, is that you can go too far and make the railway so expensive that people are priced off onto the more dangerous roads.
Oxman
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #526 on: January 07, 2012, 16:36:50 »

A few years ago I was on duty at Reading when a voyager slid into the blocks on Platform 3. These were new, friction blocks and they were pushed back about a foot or so. The train was very busy, with lots of people stood up, ready to get off. Amazingly, no one was hurt, or even aware, that there had been an impact. Even the TM(resolve) was unaware - he thought it had just been a rather sudden stop.

Whilst this was clearly a low speed impact, its not difficult to imagine that things could have been much worse had the blocks been of the fixed variety. A sudden jolt would have sent a lot of people and luggage flying.

I would think the financial case for friction blocks is easily made!
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #527 on: January 07, 2012, 17:15:17 »

Is it possible P3 at Reading might reflect an interim design, as there is nothing like the same distance behind the arrester, although (at least to my eye) it looks exactly the same type?

On the other hand, perhaps the distance behind the device is related to maximum train length, or weight?

Paul
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #528 on: January 09, 2012, 09:30:51 »

I would think the financial case for friction blocks is easily made!

That absolutely fine then.  Thanks for the info
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #529 on: January 09, 2012, 22:25:30 »

A few years ago I was on duty at Reading when a voyager slid into the blocks on Platform 3. These were new, friction blocks and they were pushed back about a foot or so. The train was very busy, with lots of people stood up, ready to get off. Amazingly, no one was hurt, or even aware, that there had been an impact. Even the TM(resolve) was unaware - he thought it had just been a rather sudden stop.

And when you compare that to the (fairly) recent crash at Cannon Street in 1991.  Two people died and 524 were injured in a collision with buffer stops at only 10 miles an hour!  True, it was a very full train, and formed of very old rolling stock, but the type of buffer stop in use was also commented on in the inquiry.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #530 on: January 12, 2012, 21:31:33 »

Work seems to have started on the site of the former Platform 7 today. When I went through this morning there was some sort of briefing going on and by this afternoon on the way back there were signs of work in progress with an excavator visible.

paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #531 on: January 12, 2012, 22:44:40 »

There were markings painted on the platforms either side of the old P7 bay when I was there early last week, suggesting that a hoarding will be put up round the site that would take quite a big chunk off the width of platforms 8 and 9 (new numbers).

Paul
mjones
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #532 on: January 16, 2012, 15:27:26 »

Over the weekend Platform 5 (formerly 4b) has now disappeared behind hoardings, and a temporary canopy has gone up over P6. Last week a section of P5 had been cut away at the far end of the island, presumably this will now continue further down as it is realigned to the new track position. In the space where the island platform is to be extended a pile boring machine and various other plant is being prepared. Sections of the track to P5 has been covered with hardboard, presumably to protect it while the works are underway.
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #533 on: January 16, 2012, 15:32:12 »

Over the weekend Platform 5 (formerly 4b) has now disappeared behind hoardings, and a temporary canopy has gone up over P6. Last week a section of P5 had been cut away at the far end of the island, presumably this will now continue further down as it is realigned to the new track position. In the space where the island platform is to be extended a pile boring machine and various other plant is being prepared. Sections of the track to P5 has been covered with hardboard, presumably to protect it while the works are underway.

One of the "downsides" of the new P4/5/6 arrangement is that if I am catching the 634am from Reading to Gatwick and it is freezing cold and/or pouring down with rain I cant wait on the SWT (South West Trains) service which used to be parked across the platform. Most mornings the SWT is waiting on the new P4 and the RDG(resolve)>Gatwick service pulls in on the new P6
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #534 on: January 17, 2012, 18:16:38 »

There is also another snag.  Some trains are obviously in the system to use Platform 5 - ie the 18:52 Reading to Ascot.  It appears on the main screens around the station as platform 5 but of course there is currently no departure screen for the closed platform 5 so it effectively disappears.  It is only when, just before the stock arrives to form the service, that you get "This is a Platform alteration...the 18:52 South West Trains service etc etc" and it is switched to platform 4.
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #535 on: January 17, 2012, 18:35:13 »

There is also another snag.  Some trains are obviously in the system to use Platform 5 - ie the 18:52 Reading to Ascot.  It appears on the main screens around the station as platform 5 but of course there is currently no departure screen for the closed platform 5 so it effectively disappears.  It is only when, just before the stock arrives to form the service, that you get "This is a Platform alteration...the 18:52 South West Trains service etc etc" and it is switched to platform 4.

This also happens to my morning service from reading to gatwick. On the CIS (Customer Information System) system the 634 shows up on the display for P4 leaving AFTER the 70x service to waterloo .

Then a few minutes later there is a "platform alteration" pa and the CIS shows correctly.

Not a big issue for regular travellers but I have seen a few gatwick bound pax scratching their heads.
adc82140

View Profile
« Reply #536 on: January 17, 2012, 22:53:04 »

I wonder if this is what's completely screwing up the departure boards further away on the North Downs Line? The 18:24, 19:36 and 19:55 departures off Guildford to Reading have completely disappeared from National Rail Enquiries, Live Departure Boards, the CIS (Customer Information System) at all stations on the line and whatever system FGW (First Great Western) customer service use. It was only when I asked the customer service people on the phone to check TRUST (Train Running System TOPS) that they admitted these services exist. The platform staff at Guildford are tearing their hair out, as apparently it's very difficult to add them manually to their CIS. They told me it was the same yesterday.

I have asked FGW Customer Service to look in to it.
EBrown

View Profile
« Reply #537 on: January 20, 2012, 16:27:08 »

I just found some (better) time lapse footage of Cow Lane Bridge. This video includes the construction of the bridge and a little more after the bridge was moved into place. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4ca9xVYJqk

I am no longer an active member of this website.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #538 on: January 20, 2012, 19:15:22 »

Sad news regarding the death of a contractor linked with the project:

http://www.getreading.co.uk/news/s/2106588_police_investigate_lorry_death

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #539 on: January 20, 2012, 23:13:57 »

Of little comfort to his family I know, but nice to read - if the article is accurate - that the company employs 69 year olds and doesn't send them packing at whatever age the retirement limit is this week.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 230
  Print  

Jump to: