09:09 Gloucester to Weymouth
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:52 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 20, 2024, 10:38:10 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[315] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[250] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[42] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[37] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[18] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[17] Signage - not making it easy ...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 230
  Print  
Author Topic: Reading Station improvements  (Read 1361837 times)
John R

View Profile
« Reply #540 on: January 20, 2012, 23:40:19 »

There isn't one. Since October employers cannot terminate employment solely because of age (unless they are in one of a small group of occupations where safety is deemed a paramount consideration). 
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #541 on: January 21, 2012, 08:23:41 »

Of little comfort to his family I know, but nice to read - if the article is accurate - that the company employs 69 year olds and doesn't send them packing at whatever age the retirement limit is this week.
There isn't one. Since October employers cannot terminate employment solely because of age (unless they are in one of a small group of occupations where safety is deemed a paramount consideration). 
Also he could have been self employed which is quite common in both the haulage and construction industries. 

Sad news, as all deaths are, on what has so far been a project with a very good safety record

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
Boppy

View Profile
« Reply #542 on: January 24, 2012, 13:24:45 »

Took this quick photo as I was boarding train today.

Last view of the old platform 7 before it gets fully boarded up.

The gap where the tracks were has been filled in already.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #543 on: January 24, 2012, 14:58:35 »

Does anyone know if the new layout at Reading will cure the problem of a train being trapped on the approach to platform 7 (formerly platform 4) if a train fails or is otherwise delayed while at the platform?  It happened again today.  A three car unit came in the platform out of service at about 12:20.  I assume it had failed somewhere as it had a red tail lamp perched on the driver's desk in the rear cab.  It then sat there for 15 minutes before being moved.  In the meantime the 12:27 to Bristol Temple Meads and the 12:33 to Penzance were queuing outside the station with no where to go.  I assume the Penzance service could have been moved to another platform as it was before a crossover, but the 12:27 could only gain another platform by reversing which would have been very time consuming.  As a result it left 12 minutes late and only just ahead of the following Cardiff service which had been diverted to Platform 8.  It does seem a weakness that the final signal before the platform is effectively a dead end - there is only one way to go if/when it clears.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #544 on: January 24, 2012, 17:30:05 »

Some you Win some you Lose Roll Eyes

The signal on the approach to P7 was installed over ten years ago and allows a shorter platform reoccupation time under normal working.  Unfortunately an HST (High Speed Train) stood at this signal has its tail end over the points leading from the Down Main to Up Main and so a train stood at the signal near the Gas Works will be caught as well.  This then blocks back to other trains on the Down Main which have no way out.  With five minute peak headways things can very quickly escalate when it goes wrong. The only way out then is to turn trains Down Main to Down Relief at Ruscombe Junction near Twyford.Angry

The new Reading layout will be completly different (see earlier posts in this thread).
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 18:28:52 by SandTEngineer » Logged
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #545 on: January 29, 2012, 19:21:15 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

Reading Cow Lane bridge opens to road traffic

A commuter route in Reading is due to reopen following the installation of a new 1,600-tonne bridge.

Cow Lane has been closed since early December for Network Rail to remove and replace one of two bridges and lay a new road under the structure.

The southern bridge was demolished on Christmas Day but work was held up because of water in the foundations.

Trains have already started using the bridge and Cow Lane is scheduled to reopen to traffic on Monday.

The concrete and steel structure was manoeuvred into place with a 66-axle vehicle on 27 December. Crowds of people turned out to watch the seven-hour operation.

The work has allowed for two lanes of traffic, a cycle lane and pavement under the new bridge and means double-decker buses can use the road.

Network Rail project director Bill Henry said the bridges were a "notorious bottleneck".

"We're very thankful to the patience of local residents and commuters who bore with us while we finished off this very important phase of our works," he said.

The work is part of the ^850m Reading Station redevelopment with work on the northern Cow Lane bridge due to finish in 2015.

That BBC article includes two and a half minutes of time lapse footage, showing how the 1,600-tonne bridge was installed: I found it absolutely fascinating, but slightly headache inducing (flash lighting effect).  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 19:48:18 by chris from nailsea » Logged

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #546 on: January 29, 2012, 20:16:15 »

Linked to already back in December, in post # 524. 

However, I think post # 537 includes a longer better version.

Paul
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #547 on: January 29, 2012, 20:22:21 »

Sorry: I did think some of it seemed rather familiar.  Embarrassed

However, their 'latest' item is described by the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) as posted "29 January 2012 Last updated at 10:50".

The perils of believing the BBC, I suppose.  Roll Eyes

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
mjones
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #548 on: January 29, 2012, 20:35:50 »

The BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) story is new in that it is reporting the re-opening of the road, which took a few more weeks  work to complete after the railway bridge was installed. In doing so they linked to a newer version of the time lapse film than the one they had originally referenced.
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #549 on: February 03, 2012, 09:18:37 »

I know that alot of Reading Station is a building site at the moment but one definate downside as far as I can see is there is no-where to "hide" from the cold weather like we have had this week. At the moment my travels only involve platforms 1-7 so I don't know if this is any different across the other sides of the station

When I am doing my normal commute there isn't much time to be affected by the bad  weather but last night I had the pleasure of sepnding nearly an hour at the station with very little respite from the cold - even on the main concourse through the barriers.

I know in projects like this sometimes things have to get worse before they get better but I do miss the waiting room, toilets and coffee shop on the old P4 !

Dave (hoping for a heatwave!)
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #550 on: February 03, 2012, 19:34:03 »

Its not just the UK (United Kingdom), I remember a similar wait on Rotterdam Central Station a couple of years ago.  That is undergoing a similalrly radical rebuild.
Oxman
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #551 on: February 03, 2012, 23:51:16 »

There is always the Three Guineas - it has departure screens in there and a view of the platforms!
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #552 on: February 04, 2012, 18:51:30 »

There is always the Three Guineas - it has departure screens in there and a view of the platforms!

................. and beer  Grin

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #553 on: February 04, 2012, 22:39:53 »

Usually some quite interesting ones!
Boppy

View Profile
« Reply #554 on: February 10, 2012, 13:04:45 »

Old platform 7 canopy is no more...

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 230
  Print  

Jump to: