Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:00 Gatwick Airport to Reading
09:46 Westbury to Swindon
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
10:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
16:23 Westbury to Swindon
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
21:16 Westbury to Swindon
22:30 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
09:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 09:45:52 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[149] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[64] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[59] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[58] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[52] Return of the BRUTE?
[36] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 230
  Print  
Author Topic: Reading Station improvements  (Read 1356685 times)
Jason

View Profile
« Reply #600 on: April 03, 2012, 12:26:45 »

Things progress apace.
Platform 10 is now narrowed again and structural works are taking place so close to the hoardings that they overhang it and are cladded.
There was a nice view down into the subway section through one of the viewing holes on the platform.
Sorry for the poor lighting, it's was rather dull first thing.
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #601 on: April 03, 2012, 12:48:18 »

It should be easy to check anyway, if someone who regularly travels on the Southern route (BerkshireBugsy maybe?) looks out for the presence of subsidiary signals [1] when on the approach towards Reading

[1] Subsidiary or 'calling on' indications are the two small white lights at 45 degrees (normally not illuminated), usually mounted below the main aspects.

Sorry - missed this - if it hasn't been answered I will try and look on my way back this afternoon. Is this likely to be attached to the same signal which has the desitnation platform number on it (E.g., currently 4 or 6)?
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #602 on: April 03, 2012, 14:16:15 »

It should be easy to check anyway, if someone who regularly travels on the Southern route (BerkshireBugsy maybe?) looks out for the presence of subsidiary signals [1] when on the approach towards Reading

[1] Subsidiary or 'calling on' indications are the two small white lights at 45 degrees (normally not illuminated), usually mounted below the main aspects.

Sorry - missed this - if it hasn't been answered I will try and look on my way back this afternoon. Is this likely to be attached to the same signal which has the desitnation platform number on it (E.g., currently 4 or 6)?

Yes, that would be the normal position, as that would be the appropriate signal for a 2nd train to be brought to a halt at.  The setup is that once the train is stopped by the red signal, the signaller will then clear the subsidiary signal. The second train into a platform cannot run in at normal line speed that way.

Paul
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #603 on: April 03, 2012, 14:22:38 »

Yes, that would be the normal position, as that would be the appropriate signal for a 2nd train to be brought to a halt at.  The setup is that once the train is stopped by the red signal, the signaller will then clear the subsidiary signal. The second train into a platform cannot run in at normal line speed that way.

Paul

We were held at that signal coming into P6 yesterday afternoon which suprised me as there was no service on the platform waiting to depart (or a service waiting to depart from P4 which would cross our path). Having said that we pulled in at P6 last night and then (I believe  the train was then taken out of service)

Dave

Will see if I can see the signal this afternoon.

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #604 on: April 05, 2012, 11:28:03 »

Just to confirm that the signal protecting platforms 4, 5, and 6 is fitted with a position light signal and so those platforms can be used permissively with more than one train at once.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #605 on: April 06, 2012, 23:01:42 »

New Network Rail Video of North entrance

http://www.networkrail.co.uk/aspx/6339.aspx
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #606 on: April 07, 2012, 22:50:48 »

New Network Rail Video of North entrance

http://www.networkrail.co.uk/aspx/6339.aspx

Couldn't get that video to work. Only the third video on that page would play but the picture kept freezing whilst the progress bar carried on.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #607 on: April 11, 2012, 13:43:23 »

The Carriage Wash facility superstructure is now taking shape in the new depot following works on the underground piping and concrete foundations.  It can be seen a 150 metres or so west of the new Train Care Shed.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #608 on: April 12, 2012, 11:14:53 »

I see two fairly massive masts have appeared, one at the London end of the future P10/P11 island, and one alongside it to the north presumably in the middle of the future P12/P13 island's location.

I wonder if they are for electrification?  Or signalling?

Paul   
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #609 on: April 12, 2012, 12:53:19 »

Or signalling?

That's what I'd guess as there's a lot of metal cable tidies being attached to them.  Also a large signal gantry appeared a few weeks ago by New Junction, so they clearly are at a physical work stage with them.

BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #610 on: April 17, 2012, 06:43:16 »

Work on p5 seems to be progressing at quite a rate now - I did take a picture earlier today which I ay post layer if I get the chance. It looks like most of the platform is now in place

Also noted ref p5 is the installation of a CIS (Customer Information System) display to the right of the one which is currently in use for p6.i am guessing that at some point the new one will be associated with p6 whilst the older one will revert to p5

I also notice two supports have appeared etween the p4 and p7 tracks which I m guessing are for the erection of a gantry - possibly for I galling ?

Someone who knows what they are talking about will be better qualified to confirm this !
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #611 on: April 17, 2012, 09:08:30 »

Showing platform progress and new CIS (Customer Information System) screen

paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #612 on: April 17, 2012, 17:28:51 »

I had a walk along P6 at lunchtime, I reckon if they make good progress for the rest of this week P5 could possibly be in use next Monday, otherwise I should think the end of the month won't be a problem, which would put them about 4 weeks behind the original schedule, following the decision to rebuild the decks as we discussed a little while ago. 

There's about 10 carriage lengths of edge slabs already in position, backed by the tactile slabs all the way along, and the new hoarding supports seem to be nearly all in place as well.

I don't envy those blokes putting in over 250m of block paving though...

Paul
mjones
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #613 on: April 19, 2012, 12:41:18 »

Rapid progress on P5 in the last couple of days. On current progress I'd agree with Paul that it could be ready this weekend. The new hoarding is going up, lights are installed, and paving now installed on most of the length. Metal posts are being installed between the concrete piers that support the platform deck, I assume these are so the space underneath can be fenced off. The hoarding posts don't extend for the full length, so I assume they will block access to the far end, beyond the length of current trains, allowing easier construction worker access to the emergency exit subway which is still incomplete.
coachflyer

View Profile
« Reply #614 on: April 19, 2012, 16:37:22 »

Platform 5 to be in use from Monday morning but as an 8 car platform only.

Platform 6 to be taken out of use to be rebuilt.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 230
  Print  

Jump to: