Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
18th Apr (2018)
SEWWEB leaflet launched and Aztec West (link)

Train RunningCancelled
15:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
15:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
16:58 London Paddington to Great Malvern
17:04 Didcot Parkway to Moreton-In-Marsh
17:05 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
18:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
18:43 Bristol Temple Meads to Westbury
18:51 Evesham to Oxford
18:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
18:53 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
19:14 Bristol Temple Meads to Avonmouth
19:46 Avonmouth to Bristol Temple Meads
22:24 Bristol Temple Meads to Severn Beach
23:08 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
23:33 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19/04/24 04:45 Redhill to Gatwick Airport
19/04/24 05:11 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Short Run
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
Additional 15:20 Bristol Parkway to Weymouth
16:26 Frome to Bristol Temple Meads
16:39 Bristol Temple Meads to Worcester Foregate Street
16:46 Avonmouth to Weston-Super-Mare
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
19:13 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
20:50 Bristol Temple Meads to Weymouth
Delayed
13:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
14:23 Swansea to London Paddington
14:48 London Paddington to Swansea
16:18 London Paddington to Swansea
16:48 London Paddington to Swansea
18:18 Carmarthen to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 18, 2024, 17:35:34 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[159] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[56] Signage - not making it easy ...
[28] IETs at Melksham
[25] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[23] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train
[22] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 230
  Print  
Author Topic: Reading Station improvements  (Read 1361533 times)
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #615 on: April 19, 2012, 16:39:10 »

Platform 5 to be in use from Monday morning but as an 8 car platform only.

Platform 6 to be taken out of use to be rebuilt.

In which case I guess both CIS (Customer Information System) screens at the end of P5/P6 will be active then. I didn't go on the north downs line today but will have a look tomorrow.
Oxman
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #616 on: April 21, 2012, 12:41:40 »

Passed thru Reading (on foot) this morning and very pleased to see so much work going on on a Saturday.

Lots of finishing work on the new platform 5. The third rail is in place and the barrier between the tracks has been removed (although there were still men working on the platform 5 track whilst platform 4 was in use).

To the North of the station, the first decking sections of the new transfer deck had arrived on three large lorries and preparations for the first lift were ongoing - a very large crane was in place. All of the piers for the transfer deck from the new station building to platorm 10 are complete, so the decking should go up quickly.

The signal gantries for the posts that have been erected at the West end of platform 10 had arrived and were being made ready to be lifted in place.
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #617 on: April 21, 2012, 12:44:25 »

Passed thru Reading (on foot) this morning and very pleased to see so much work going on on a Saturday.

Lots of finishing work on the new platform 5. The third rail is in place and the barrier between the tracks has been removed (although there were still men working on the platform 5 track whilst platform 4 was in use).

If the new P5 is open on Monday am there is a 50/50 chance I may be one of the first to use it when I catch the 0634 to Reigate!
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #618 on: April 21, 2012, 14:35:54 »

To the North of the station, the first decking sections of the new transfer deck had arrived on three large lorries and preparations for the first lift were ongoing - a very large crane was in place. All of the piers for the transfer deck from the new station building to platorm 10 are complete, so the decking should go up quickly.

That very large crane, if it's the one I've been told about, will be in situ for around the next six months to lift all sections of the transfer deck into place.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #619 on: April 23, 2012, 09:33:55 »

On my journey through Reading this morning, platform 5 was now in use and platform 6 blocked off ready for work.

It also seems the new signal gantry at the east end of p7/8 has been put in place.

It's all happening Smiley
lordgoata
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #620 on: April 26, 2012, 10:05:07 »

Noticed this morning that a lot of new track has been laid along by the new depot area, and across the new bridge over Cow Lane. Progressing at quite a pace now!
mjones
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #621 on: April 27, 2012, 09:31:34 »

Platform 6 work moving ahead quickly, it has been demolished already. Just piles of rubble left. Looks like they have demolished the concrete footings as well as the platform deck. Does anyone know why it needed to be completely demolished, is it being re-aligned?
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #622 on: April 27, 2012, 09:46:45 »

It might just go back to the different ages and conditions of the two halves of the 4A and 4B islands.  AIUI (as I understand it) the northern side was built about ten years before the other side, and it looked like two different types of construction were used along its length as well.

Might just be a good opportunity to bring the whole thing up to a decent standard.

Paul
Oxman
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #623 on: April 28, 2012, 22:52:11 »

Couple of pics taken yesterday on my phone:

First is the new platforms 4 and 5, with the now demolished platorm 6. Note the new gantry above the HST (High Speed Train).

Second is taken form the footbridge looking west across the area where the new north side platform will be. The piers and firts sections of the transfer deck are just behind the crane and the new north station building is on the right, behind the retaining wall.

BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #624 on: April 29, 2012, 09:24:56 »

Couple of pics taken yesterday on my phone:

First is the new platforms 4 and 5, with the now demolished platorm 6. Note the new gantry above the HST (High Speed Train).

Second is taken form the footbridge looking west across the area where the new north side platform will be. The piers and firts sections of the transfer deck are just behind the crane and the new north station building is on the right, behind the retaining wall.

THanks for the pics Oxman.

Does anyone know if when p6 is finished there will be a wall/seperation between that and p5? at the moment it gets very congested with passengers (mainly on the Gatwick servers) as passengers getting off an on the services trying and do battle with their suitcases in tow Smiley
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #625 on: April 29, 2012, 11:04:33 »

I'd be surprised if there was any division, it is quite unusual to see it on a pair of terminating platforms.  What there was back when it was P4A/4B didn't seem to help much at all as people used both sides of the platform anyway.

Perhaps when it all settles down they might dedicate services to platforms, eg all the Waterloos on P5/P6 and all the Gatwick/Redhills on P4? Another idea might be to make sure the Waterloo trains leave immediately before the next one arrives.   

There'll also be much more circulating space once the footbridge, lift and escalators are removed, so people shouldn't be clashing at that corner by the lift at least...

Paul   
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #626 on: April 29, 2012, 11:09:37 »

I'd be surprised if there was any division, it is quite unusual to see it on a pair of terminating platforms.  What there was back when it was P4A/4B didn't seem to help much at all as people used both sides of the platform anyway.

Perhaps when it all settles down they might dedicate services to platforms, eg all the Waterloos on P5/P6 and all the Gatwick/Redhills on P4?  There'll also be much more circulating space once the footbridge, lift and escalators are removed, so people shouldn't be clashing at that corner by the lift at least...

Paul   

Good points Paul. I think part of the problem on P4 is that sometime passengers, who are strangers to the station, don't know which way to exit once they disembark the train. THere are some signs on the wall but maybe it could do with some more. IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly) at one point there was an annoucement on the train as it pulled into Reading "Please exit to the right when leaving the train" but I may be dreaming it.

Dave
Gordon the Blue Engine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #627 on: April 29, 2012, 11:50:47 »

How is the multi-story car park going to be linked to the station once the existing footbridge is demolished? Will there be a high level link off the new transit deck - although I didn't see any evidence of new piers last time I looked. 

I did try a search before posting this question without success - so sorry if it's been answered before.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #628 on: April 29, 2012, 11:57:16 »

How is the multi-story car park going to be linked to the station once the existing footbridge is demolished?

It isn't going to be linked at all, it will involve a ground level walk. 

Paul
Gordon the Blue Engine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #629 on: April 29, 2012, 12:13:21 »

Thanks Paul, with the horrible weather outside there seem to be lots of us in the Coffee Shop to-day!

Just hope the ground level walk is enclosed (ie not just covered), else it wouldn't be very pleasant on a day like to-day.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 230
  Print  

Jump to: