Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
06:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
07:20 Reading to Gatwick Airport
07:49 Bedwyn to Newbury
08:13 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:46 Bedwyn to Newbury
09:00 Gatwick Airport to Reading
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:23 Hereford to London Paddington
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
07:24 Exmouth to Paignton
07:38 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
07:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Westbury
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Delayed
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 08:04:55 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[82] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[76] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[74] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[67] Return of the BRUTE?
[57] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 230
  Print  
Author Topic: Reading Station improvements  (Read 1356659 times)
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #630 on: April 29, 2012, 13:23:38 »

Perhaps when it all settles down they might dedicate services to platforms, eg all the Waterloos on P5/P6 and all the Gatwick/Redhills on P4? Another idea might be to make sure the Waterloo trains leave immediately before the next one arrives.   

I though the idea was that the Gatwicks would use the underpass and use the North side of the station.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #631 on: April 29, 2012, 13:24:09 »

I think the problem is that the obvious route (from carpark to new northern entrance) crosses the road.  Although there's no through access to road traffic at the moment,  it is difficult to tell from the station planning drawings I have if that access is to be reinstated or not.  

I did read a while back that they intend to run the Heathrow coach link from a new location on the north side - it is quite possible that would have to approach the station between the car park and new northern entrance, although other possibilities exist.

Paul
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 13:35:30 by paul7755 » Logged
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #632 on: April 29, 2012, 13:34:54 »

Perhaps when it all settles down they might dedicate services to platforms, eg all the Waterloos on P5/P6 and all the Gatwick/Redhills on P4? Another idea might be to make sure the Waterloo trains leave immediately before the next one arrives.   

I though the idea was that the Gatwicks would use the underpass and use the North side of the station.

That is a much discussed possibility, but I always read it as 'might use' rather than 'will use'.  It would only really be beneficial in conjunction with linking services 'across Reading',  ie there's little point in blocking relief side platforms with terminating trains just because you can, especially as P4 - P6 still have the capacity.  Some of the original options that were published predate the cancellation of the Airtrack scheme as well.

My personal view is that linking services might no longer be as likely as it was (at least for a few years), bearing in mind that the electrification policy has changed the stock type to be used on the suitable services west of Reading, and there is still a signifiicant electrical supply gap in the North Downs route.  Having said that there are other options for linking services, such as East West Rail but that's in what I would consider the medium term...

Paul
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #633 on: April 29, 2012, 13:39:01 »

I think the problem is that the obvious route crosses the road.  Although there's no through access to road traffic at the moment,  it is difficult to tell from the station planning drawings I have if that access is to be reinstated or not.  

I did read a while back that they intend to run the Heathrow coach link from a new location on the north side - it is quite possible that would have to approach the station between the car park and new northern entrance, although other possibilities exist.

If a new pedestrian exit from the car park is made in the South West corner then it would be only a very short crossing of any road to the new North entrance.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #634 on: April 29, 2012, 13:56:01 »

Is it just a figment of my mind but weren't there the occasional through trains from Oxford to Gatwick about 10 years ago?
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #635 on: April 29, 2012, 14:05:04 »

I think the problem is that the obvious route crosses the road.  Although there's no through access to road traffic at the moment,  it is difficult to tell from the station planning drawings I have if that access is to be reinstated or not.  

If a new pedestrian exit from the car park is made in the South West corner then it would be only a very short crossing of any road to the new North entrance.

Yes, I was thinking more of the proposal that it should be fully enclosed, which would be no problem as far as either side of the road crossing, but would be unlikely to include the road.  The sort of set up they have at Southampton Airport, between station and concourse as it happens.

Paul 
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #636 on: April 29, 2012, 14:23:28 »

Is it just a figment of my mind but weren't there the occasional through trains from Oxford to Gatwick about 10 years ago?

There were - early morning to Gatwick and late evening back again.  Didn't really serve much of a market though as they were stoppers from Oxford.

I agree with Paul's comments regarding the potential use of the underpass.  It will also come in useful for the ECS (Empty Coaching Stock) Turbo movements between the Depot and Platforms 4/5/6, but under normal running I would expect that the only time Gatwick services will use anything other than 4/5/6 will be early morning and late evening as they do now.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Jason

View Profile
« Reply #637 on: May 03, 2012, 22:01:30 »

Wherever you look at the moment things are happening:
Track is being laid west of the station, to the north of the main line.
The foundations for the new platform 6 are almost all excavated.
The steel core for the first of the supporting pylons on platform 8/9 is up
To the north, the main girders for the new deck are rapidly going in.
The northern entrance is rapidly taking shape, I took a couple of pics earlier this evening
http://i1147.photobucket.com/albums/o558/ticktock1232/0503a.jpg
http://i1147.photobucket.com/albums/o558/ticktock1232/0503b.jpg
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #638 on: May 03, 2012, 22:09:56 »

And all being done around one of the busiest stations on the network.

Impressive.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #639 on: May 03, 2012, 22:41:30 »

Here's a summary of next Easter's major engineering work whilst the new platforms are brought into use:

Good Friday 29th March (00:30) to Tuesday 2nd April (04:00)

• Heathrow Airport Junction <> Slough all lines closed
    • Maidenhead <> Didcot all lines closed
    • Reading - no trains apart from Platforms 4/5/6 and also Platform 2 (for Pilotman operated B&H (Berks and Hants - railway line from Reading to Taunton via Westbury)/Basingstoke services only).

HST (High Speed Train) are being diverted as they were Xmas 2010, i.e. and hourly Paddington to Swansea service via Chiltern Line and Oxford and an hourly Paddington to Bristol service via the same route.  West of England services running hourly from Waterloo via Basingstoke though should be 30-45 minutes quicker than in 2010 thanks to running on the main lines.

Also Cheltenham's and Worcester's mostly starting at Didcot. Hourly from Reading to Bedwyn and Basingstoke (though the latter could be a XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) service running though to Bournemouth).

LTV (London [and] Thames Valley) services and HEx services forming a 15-minute interval service between Paddington and Hayes.  A 30-minute interval Turbo between Slough and Maidenhead and Windsor/Marlow/Henley service as normal.

Waterloo<>Reading service ramped up to every 15-minutes all day as this will be the only Reading to Paddington train service.

Buses covering all other routes as appropriate.

Tuesday 2nd April (04:00) to Saturday 6th April (23:00)

• Main Lines closed between Ruscombe and Tilehurst.
    • Reading Platform 2 open as in first possession.
    • New platform 12/13/14 and 15 also open (but all others closed).

HSS (High Speed Services) services from Paddington to Bristol/Swansea largely unchanged though Cardiff off-peak services withdrawn.  West of England services diverted via Swindon and Westbury after Reading. Cheltenham's start/terminate at Swindon.

LTV services between Reading and London thinned a little and other services thinned a little as well.

Saturday 6th April (23:00) to Tuesday 9th April (04:00)

• Maidenhead<>Didcot all lines closed
    • Reading<>Southcote Juntion all lines closed

HSS services largely operating as per first possession (i.e. via Chilterns/Waterloo), and Cheltenham/Cotswold Line services starting at Didcot.

Paddington to Maidenhead Turbo services and Bedwyn's running between Bedwyn/Westbury and Theale only.  Windsor/Henley/Marlow open as normal, but buses as appropriate on other routes between Maidenhead and Didcot.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
    JayMac
    Data Manager

View Profile
    « Reply #640 on: May 03, 2012, 22:49:08 »

Excellent summary of the situation next Easter, II. Thanks.  Wink

From a purely selfish point of view, these engineering possessions won't affect me unduly, but I'm looking forward to bashing some unusual HST (High Speed Train) mileage again.  Smiley

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
    Southern Stag

View Profile
    « Reply #641 on: May 03, 2012, 22:51:36 »

Roger Ford in Modern Railways suggested that the FGW (First Great Western) franchise may be extended by a couple of weeks to cover the period of the Reading closure. I'm fairly sure new franchises normally start around the start of April and it perhaps isn't a good idea to have a change of management team half way through the blockade.
    EBrown

View Profile
    « Reply #642 on: May 03, 2012, 23:00:02 »

Thanks for all the information, very helpful.

(for Pilotman operated B&H (Berks and Hants - railway line from Reading to Taunton via Westbury)/Basingstoke services only)
    Sorry, I don't understand what that means? Could you explain it please?

I am no longer an active member of this website.
    Southern Stag

View Profile
    « Reply #643 on: May 03, 2012, 23:13:23 »

A pilotman is the authority for a train movement to take place over a line which is usually operated only in one direction but is being used as a bi-directional line, but lacks the normal bi-directional signalling necessary for such movements. I presume at Reading only one track is available from Southcote Junction, on to the Basingstoke line to Reading. Trains will only be allowed to run along that section when the pilotman, a member of Network Rail staff wearing a pilotman armband I believe is on board the train. It's a similar principle to tokens on single tracks, where movements are only authorised when the driver has the token, a lump of wood or metal I believe, which will be released by the signalman at a signalbox. Several tokens can exist, for example at signalboxes at either end of a single line section but the interlocking will prevent more than one being released at one time, preventing more than one movement over a single line section.
    IndustryInsider
    Data Manager

View Profile
    « Reply #644 on: May 04, 2012, 10:35:35 »

Not a bad summary of working by pilotmen by 'Southern Stag' there.  If anyone fancies some bedtime reading here's the full procedure:

http://www.rgsonline.co.uk/Rule_Book/Forms/Live_Documents.aspx?RootFolder=/Rule_Book/Rule%20Book%20Modules/P%20-%20Working%20by%20Pilotman&FolderCTID=0x01200060B274261602B94B84F5B3E1E95DE5C8

And, yes, the franchise is being extended to cover until the end of the blockade.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 230
      Print  

Jump to: