Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
10:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
16:23 Westbury to Swindon
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
21:16 Westbury to Swindon
22:30 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
Delayed
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
10:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 11:08:49 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[132] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[52] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[51] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[46] Return of the BRUTE?
[32] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 230
  Print  
Author Topic: Reading Station improvements  (Read 1356713 times)
mjones
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #690 on: June 14, 2012, 16:17:12 »

Thanks for posting this. Sadly I will miss it as I am not travelling through Reading again until next week. It will be interesting to see how the decking on p6 has advanced by then - I suspect quite alot as they appeared to be starting it when I came through Wednesday PM.

Most of the precast base slabs seemed to be in place this morning, and the entrance to the emergency exit at the far end of the platforms is nearly complete. The latter is a very solid cast concrete structure considering it only has to provide shelter for the steps down to the subway, looks strong enough to be part of an air raid shelter!
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #691 on: June 14, 2012, 16:23:18 »

Most of the precast base slabs seemed to be in place this morning, and the entrance to the emergency exit at the far end of the platforms is nearly complete. The latter is a very solid cast concrete structure considering it only has to provide shelter for the steps down to the subway, looks strong enough to be part of an air raid shelter!

Yes, I had noticed the "Solid" construction of the emergency exit when pulling into P5. Speaking as a frequent user of those platforms it will be nice to get some space back on P5/P6 as it gets cramped on P5 quite easily. Having said the FGW (First Great Western) have done their best to hold back the "new" passengers until dis-embarking pax have left the platform.
onthecushions
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #692 on: June 15, 2012, 23:09:55 »

Good to have first class scheme and publicity. Usually it's one or the other.

As an aside does anyone know why NR» (Network Rail - home page) didn't opt for a simple modern overall roof or train shed, like at Leeds City?

The platform canopies and escalator covers look very complicated

OTC
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #693 on: June 16, 2012, 21:19:14 »

There is a new Reading Station Newsletter on Network Rail's site

http://www.networkrail.co.uk/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=30064781722
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #694 on: June 20, 2012, 21:45:05 »

More photos on:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=92550641&postcount=168
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #695 on: June 20, 2012, 21:50:22 »

Also an article:

http://www.getreading.co.uk/news/s/2115567_reading_station_development_reaches_crucial_phase
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #696 on: June 21, 2012, 21:48:46 »

Those photographs are a bit out of date based on what I saw today.... Shocked
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #697 on: June 21, 2012, 21:53:30 »

Just in case anyone missed this post earlier in the thread:

I'm delighted to say I've got permission to share with you all the official time-lapse photographs of the remodelling which are absolutely fantastic.  Updated every 15 minutes throughout the working day you can view crystal clear sharp images from any date since the project began right up to the latest shot, or view all images in a time-lapse style which will no doubt feature on the NR» (Network Rail - home page) website in time.

There's a total of nine cameras based on three main worksites.  Go to www.lobstervision.tv and enter one of the following in the 'username' and 'password' box:

For the new northern entrance and transfer deck:  nrreading01
For the new western gateline by the Three Guineas: nrreading02
For the new maintenance depot and associated buildings:  nrreading03

Navigation to the individual cameras and still image or time-lapse options is on the page that will be displayed.  Up-to-the minute pictures for all of us.  Brilliant stuff!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #698 on: June 21, 2012, 22:20:25 »

Here is a photograph of the Platform No.6 works taken at 1415 today 21 June 2012:

pbc2520

View Profile
« Reply #699 on: June 27, 2012, 02:02:49 »

Just in case anyone missed this post earlier in the thread:

I'm delighted to say I've got permission to share with you all the official time-lapse photographs of the remodelling which are absolutely fantastic.  Updated every 15 minutes throughout the working day you can view crystal clear sharp images from any date since the project began right up to the latest shot, or view all images in a time-lapse style which will no doubt feature on the NR» (Network Rail - home page) website in time.

There's a total of nine cameras based on three main worksites.  Go to www.lobstervision.tv and enter one of the following in the 'username' and 'password' box:

For the new northern entrance and transfer deck:  nrreading01
For the new western gateline by the Three Guineas: nrreading02
For the new maintenance depot and associated buildings:  nrreading03

Navigation to the individual cameras and still image or time-lapse options is on the page that will be displayed.  Up-to-the minute pictures for all of us.  Brilliant stuff!

And there's now nrreading04 for some views inside and outside the new shed!
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #700 on: June 27, 2012, 06:27:54 »

Come on fellow FGW (First Great Western)'ers...you are missing the major improvement to Reading station over the last 7 days...

New washers/hand dryers in the gents on the main concourse!

(Sorry Ladies, you will just have to take my word for this!)
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #701 on: June 27, 2012, 09:50:29 »

New washers/hand dryers in the gents on the main concourse!
They must have been put in on Mon/Tues as most of the previous ones were out of order on Sunday.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #702 on: June 27, 2012, 10:14:09 »

And there's now nrreading04 for some views inside and outside the new shed!

Well spotted, sir!  Smiley

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Oxman
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #703 on: June 27, 2012, 15:59:31 »

I noticed this morning that the automatic ticket gates were out of action whilst "enhancement" work takes place. It seems that the manual wide gates are being replaced with automatic versions. Passengers were being funnelled through a few gates where cursory manual checks were being made.

This will no doubt allow a further reduction in staffing levels. A few years ago the gates were well staffed with a permanent supervisor, who also monitored use of the lifts between the platforms and the unprotected side of the footbridge. In recent years, there has been little or no supervision and ticket checking on the manual gates is cursory at best.

I guess that usage of this gateline will decrease dramatically when the new entrances open.
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #704 on: June 27, 2012, 16:02:46 »

I noticed this morning that the automatic ticket gates were out of action whilst "enhancement" work takes place. It seems that the manual wide gates are being replaced with automatic versions. Passengers were being funnelled through a few gates where cursory manual checks were being made.

I think the word "cursory" is key here and I noted you repeated it again later in your post. In my experience there are certain gateline operatives who do the checks more thoroughly than others. I often get the feeling I could wave last weeks ticket at them and still be allowed through.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 230
  Print  

Jump to: