21:00 Bristol Temple Meads to Worcester Shrub Hill
21:15 Great Malvern to Bristol Temple Meads
22:36 Worcester Shrub Hill to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 18, 2024, 22:44:49 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[176] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[71] Signage - not making it easy ...
[15] IETs at Melksham
[13] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[12] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train
[12] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 230
  Print  
Author Topic: Reading Station improvements  (Read 1361567 times)
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #735 on: July 10, 2012, 20:53:10 »

This evening on my journey home I noticed the cover was on the emergency exit at the east end of P6/p5. It's certainly all happening!

Now there will soon be 3 platforms servicing the north downs/waterloo lines, will the trains be scheduled to make best use of platform space? E.g.,  Using P4 and P6 at the same time rather than p5/p6? Of course this does assume there will only ever be two trains platformed at anyone time which is probably not a true assumption.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #736 on: July 11, 2012, 11:03:40 »

....and the new Platform No.6 taken at 1515 yesterday 10 July 2012....

paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #737 on: July 11, 2012, 18:54:13 »

Now there will soon be 3 platforms servicing the north downs/waterloo lines, will the trains be scheduled to make best use of platform space? E.g.,  Using P4 and P6 at the same time rather than p5/p6? Of course this does assume there will only ever be two trains platformed at anyone time which is probably not a true assumption.

I think the logical approach from a 'passenger standardisation' viewpoint (pending any unlikely new services such as Airtrack etc Roll Eyes ) might be to use P5/P6 for SWT (South West Trains), and P4 for FGW (First Great Western).

Having said that signallers everywhere do seem to like injecting random changes to keep everyone, including passengers and staff, on their toes...

This afternoon there was lots of NR» (Network Rail - home page) brass about, jotting down in notebooks what still had to be done for tomorrow morning's reopening - should be OK though because P4 looked in a similar state the day before didn't it?

Paul
Jonty

View Profile
« Reply #738 on: July 11, 2012, 19:21:03 »

On the top deck of a passing bus today and saw that what appears to be a brick tunnel near to the Vastern Road bridge is actually just an "alcove" about 10ft deep so no question of it going under the tracks. Looks like an old GWR (Great Western Railway) storage bay.

A secret passageway into Apex (Advanced Purchase Excursion (fare)) Plaza did seem quite exciting!!
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #739 on: July 11, 2012, 19:40:53 »

I think the logical approach from a 'passenger standardisation' viewpoint (pending any unlikely new services such as Airtrack etc Roll Eyes ) might be to use P5/P6 for SWT (South West Trains), and P4 for FGW (First Great Western).

Having said that signallers everywhere do seem to like injecting random changes to keep everyone, including passengers and staff, on their toes...

This afternoon there was lots of NR» (Network Rail - home page) brass about, jotting down in notebooks what still had to be done for tomorrow morning's reopening - should be OK though because P4 looked in a similar state the day before didn't it?

Paul

Thanks Paul for your reply. To a layman like me, where is the decision made as to which platform an incoming train will use when it comes up from Wokingham? Is it made at Reading or where ever (swindon?)?
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #740 on: July 11, 2012, 19:49:46 »

Thanks Paul for your reply. To a layman like me, where is the decision made as to which platform an incoming train will use when it comes up from Wokingham? Is it made at Reading or where ever (swindon?)?

It will normally be the ARS (Automatic Route Setting) (Automatic Route Setting) at Didcot (TV Siganlling Centre) that will route the train to the platform. The signalman will only intervene if there is out of course running etc.

So any one train should in theory always use the same platform. How the platforms are used will depend on whoever programmes the ARSs.
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #741 on: July 11, 2012, 19:59:20 »

It will normally be the ARS (Automatic Route Setting) (Automatic Route Setting) at Didcot (TV Siganlling Centre) that will route the train to the platform. The signalman will only intervene if there is out of course running etc.

So any one train should in theory always use the same platform. How the platforms are used will depend on whoever programmes the ARSs.

Thanks 8F - so how often are the routes reprogrammed - for example if there exactly the same services at the same times on two consectutive days would the routes need to be re-programmed?
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #742 on: July 11, 2012, 21:24:15 »

I was in Reading today and despite all the work going on it was pleasing to see that the station continues to function normally. Train despatch in this afternoon's peak was particularly good. My 1626 to Bristol TM(resolve) was wheels turning dead on 16:26:00.

The regular, as well as the additional, and very visible, FGW (First Great Western) staff are doing an excellent job in somewhat difficult conditions. To make things worse today the scrolling displays were out of action, with a not very useful 'Welcome to Reading' being displayed. I people watched for a good 20 minutes before I caught my train home. Station staff were noticeably proactive in helping passengers - not always waiting to be asked - but rather, doing the asking themselves. One FGW chap near me on P7 was approaching passengers and asking about their destination, ensuring that they knew which was the right westbound service to catch by telling them, "It'll be the 1st/2nd/3rd service on this platform." He was also busy hustling people along the platform and telling them roughly where Standard Class or the coach with their booked seat would be. He was even helping people with their luggage.* All done with an engaging smile and courtesy. I made a note of this chap's name and will be emailing FGW with some praise.

*I briefly worked for FGW through an employment agency in the booking hall area of Bristol Temple Meads in 2004, employed to assist passengers with information about their trains and to help prevent a large build up of folk in front of the screens near the gateline. I would also help folk with their luggage if asked and I occasionally offered. That is until one of the permanent staff told me to stop doing it. Apparently I wasn't insured to carry luggage or even just lift it onto a trolley and push said trolley. This guy told me that the RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) had decreed that such work was outside of a Customer Service Assistant's contract terms and until FGW paid extra and insured their platform and gateline staff to do 'portering' duties then such assistance should not be offered. Despite protests from one or two of the old guard (worried, I assume, that if I did the odd bit of portering, passenger would come to expect all staff to do it) I continued to help when asked. The tips were often quite generous!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 22:01:57 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #743 on: July 11, 2012, 21:53:59 »

I think one of the things which "i am not partial to" at Reading is the continual announcments to members of the public on P7 asking them to "keep behind the yellow line, please".   My dislike is not about the fact FGW (First Great Western) staff are making these announcments but I guess they are being made by someone on the platform through a radio mike to the PA (Public Address) system and uncomfortable levels of feedback are not unusual

I must stress I totally understand the need for these annoucements at the moment space is limited on P7.

To back up what BNM said, I also found the way the traffic flow from p5 was managed this afternoon was exceptionally good. on this occasion it wasn't down to one person but a team working as a - err- team!

I won't be on my normal route tomorrow (Thursday) when P6 reopens but look forward to seeing the difference on Friday morning.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #744 on: July 11, 2012, 22:09:06 »

Thanks 8F - so how often are the routes reprogrammed - for example if there exactly the same services at the same times on two consectutive days would the routes need to be re-programmed?

The theory is that between timetable change dates the base platforming information isn't altered - (apart from differences between weekday, Sat and Sun).  Clearly they have to stick a preferred platform in the database to make certain that the timetable works.  If you interrogate a site such as open train times, you'll find that your 'hhmm to where ever' shows the same platform every weekday - and if there are no perturbations to the daily operations, that is what ought to happen.

If you try links like these (that will go stale eventually) you can wind the date/time on by amending the link where it shows the date or time, and you'll see the same cycle appears - although there are minor differences:

(resolve)?day=11&month=7&time=1200&year=2012" target="_blank">http://www.opentraintimes.com/location/RDG?day=11&month=7&time=1200&year=2012
http://www.opentraintimes.com/location/RDG?day=12&month=7&time=1200&year=2012
http://www.opentraintimes.com/location/RDG?day=13&month=7&time=1200&year=2012

(At the time of writing P6 isn't shown at all, but that will change...)

Paul

paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #745 on: July 12, 2012, 12:33:15 »

Does that mean that the tubular steel fencing bolted down along P5 (beyond the 8 car length) has only been temporary during the works?

Paul 

That's answered, the tubular fencing has gone now.

Call me picky Grin but I'm quite surprised they've used both a different style of station name boards to those on P4, and fitted them in a different position. Looks poor in comparison.

I also think there's something cheap and nasty looking about the way all the P5 and P6 signs have just been clamped round the uprights.

Paul
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #746 on: July 12, 2012, 12:57:01 »

Platforms 4, 5 and 6 from a departing train at around 07:30 this morning:

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #747 on: July 13, 2012, 11:53:32 »

The new platforms 12/13 and 14/15 along with what will be the new through platform 11 are now starting to take shape.  Also the roof covering of the lower section of the transfer deck is now being installed.  Best viewed on the lobstervision site's camera two on nrreading01.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #748 on: July 14, 2012, 22:00:21 »

On the top deck of a passing bus today and saw that what appears to be a brick tunnel near to the Vastern Road bridge is actually just an "alcove" about 10ft deep so no question of it going under the tracks. Looks like an old GWR (Great Western Railway) storage bay.

A secret passageway into Apex (Advanced Purchase Excursion (fare)) Plaza did seem quite exciting!!

With apologies for our apparent oversight, Jonty, may I now offer you a very warm welcome to the Coffee Shop forum? Chris Roll Eyes Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #749 on: July 16, 2012, 07:54:31 »

I know P6 has been handed back but is actually used at the moment? I know it's only been a week but I haven't yet seen a service pull in on it.

Just to update my own post I did a check on open train times (see below) and no departures were listed from P6 on this enquiry. I am aware that platform alterations on p4/5/6 can happen at the last minute so this is not conclusive.

(resolve)" target="_blank">http://www.opentraintimes.com/location/RDG
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 230
  Print  

Jump to: