Train RunningCancelled
19:18 London Paddington to Swansea
21:02 Oxford to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 21:45:10 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[294] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[103] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[61] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[54] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[26] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[25] Signage - not making it easy ...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 230
  Print  
Author Topic: Reading Station improvements  (Read 1361729 times)
autotank
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #750 on: July 16, 2012, 09:43:54 »

I saw a train using PLatform 6 on Saturday and have a photo to prove it!

https://twitter.com/thebunkline/status/224138666707132416/photo/1

Looks very impressive - well done all involved.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #751 on: July 16, 2012, 09:52:44 »

I know P6 has been handed back but is actually used at the moment? I know it's only been a week but I haven't yet seen a service pull in on it.

Just to update my own post I did a check on open train times (see below) and no departures were listed from P6 on this enquiry. I am aware that platform alterations on p4/5/6 can happen at the last minute so this is not conclusive.

(resolve)" target="_blank">http://www.opentraintimes.com/location/RDG

I've been checking live departure boards (LDBs) and often no outgoing platform numbers are shown, whereas the corresponding arrivals do show where they are terminating.  I have a theory that this indicates that they are not sticking to the long term platforming (such as shown in 'opentraintimes' (which isn't a live feed BTW (by the way))).

I've seen quite a few arrivals shown in LDBs as P6 over the weekend, but can't vouch for what actually happened to the actual services...

Paul
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #752 on: July 16, 2012, 10:02:09 »

Thanks for both of you for clearing this up

Dave
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #753 on: July 16, 2012, 18:14:48 »

Arrived at Reading tonight (From Reigate) on P5 with no train on P6...and there is so much space to exit the train and leave the platform now!

Definate improvement!
mjones
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #754 on: July 16, 2012, 20:08:49 »

I agree, it is such a relief after months of overcrowding!

But P6 looks like it hasn't had any trains all day- the CIS (Customer Information System) was just displaying "Welcome to Reading Station" this morning and this evening. Does anyone know if there is some track or signal problem preventing its use? Or are the unions demanding  a bonus before staff will use it?  Wink
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #755 on: July 16, 2012, 20:33:37 »

Webcam Reading01 Camera 2 is showing the big mobile crane is back and large sections of steel for the next transfer deck section are going up...

Paul
Visoflex

View Profile
« Reply #756 on: July 17, 2012, 11:01:25 »

The extra Southern platform (4) was built partly in anticipation of Heathrow Airtrack. With that project's cancellation in its original form, could it now be the case that there is too much platform capacity at least for the time being?  However, as you don't rebuild stations to cope with the current business, rather than for the future, then this capacity will be used up eventually,.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #757 on: July 17, 2012, 11:36:50 »

I'm fairly sure that, if they felt only 2 platforms were to be routinely used, the track layout on the approach is such that the maximum flexibility would be gained by using 5 and 6, with 4 as the spare. 

Of course there are plans to run more SWT (South West Trains) services in the peaks in the 2014 timetable # which may result partly from the additional platform capacity gained.

(# That would be after the available stock increases following the 10 car conversions of the 458s for the Windsor lines.)

Paul
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #758 on: July 17, 2012, 18:45:08 »

Photo of activity tonight at Reading station (taken about 17:30)
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #759 on: July 18, 2012, 23:06:52 »

Some timelapse on the FGW (First Great Western) Reading Station Site

http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/About-Us/Rail-improvements/Reading-station-improvements
mjones
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #760 on: July 24, 2012, 10:07:40 »

There seem to have been some further work being done on platform 6 over the last couple of days, some of the paving looks like it is being re-done. This might explain why the platform is still not in regular use.
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #761 on: July 24, 2012, 10:11:11 »

One thing I have noticed about the p5/p6 combination is that no matter how much space there is, passengers leaving services still manage to take up alot of space (and manage to get in my way!)

But I guess that is just human nature Smiley
Pedros

View Profile
« Reply #762 on: July 24, 2012, 10:37:40 »

There also appears to be a few oddities with regards to the platform allocation with some trains too.  For example, I get the train into Reading from Guildford, which arrives at 17.54.  We're always held outside Reading waiting for a Waterloo bound train to leave the station (timetabled at 17.56)  We wait for it to pass and then trundle in to platform 5

It seems odd that you have 3 platforms, yet trains are still being held outside the station. I should also say that there are no other trains in the platform when we arrive, so it can't be because of platform congestion.
mjones
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #763 on: July 24, 2012, 10:40:58 »

Yes, I am often on the same train, and was quite surprised to find we are still waiting outside the station at the same time and place as was the case in the days when there were only two platforms and a single track approach over the bridge!
Louis94

View Profile
« Reply #764 on: July 24, 2012, 10:43:47 »

There also appears to be a few oddities with regards to the platform allocation with some trains too.  For example, I get the train into Reading from Guildford, which arrives at 17.54.  We're always held outside Reading waiting for a Waterloo bound train to leave the station (timetabled at 17.56)  We wait for it to pass and then trundle in to platform 5

It seems odd that you have 3 platforms, yet trains are still being held outside the station. I should also say that there are no other trains in the platform when we arrive, so it can't be because of platform congestion.

The Waterloo service is booked out at 1753
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 230
  Print  

Jump to: