Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 14:55 25 Apr 2024
* Will Labour’s plan make train tickets cheaper?
* Labour pledges to renationalise most rail services
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningCancelled
15:05 Reading to Basingstoke
15:52 Basingstoke to Reading
16:33 Reading to Basingstoke
17:19 Basingstoke to Reading
17:57 Reading to Basingstoke
18:37 Basingstoke to Reading
Short Run
14:23 Exmouth to Paignton
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 14:55:39 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[280] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[77] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[53] Cornish delays
[50] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[28] Where have I been?
[27] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 230
  Print  
Author Topic: Reading Station improvements  (Read 1362994 times)
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #765 on: July 24, 2012, 10:46:57 »

There also appears to be a few oddities with regards to the platform allocation with some trains too.  For example, I get the train into Reading from Guildford, which arrives at 17.54.  We're always held outside Reading waiting for a Waterloo bound train to leave the station (timetabled at 17.56)  We wait for it to pass and then trundle in to platform 5

It seems odd that you have 3 platforms, yet trains are still being held outside the station. I should also say that there are no other trains in the platform when we arrive, so it can't be because of platform congestion.

In the morning the 634 Reading to Gatwick seems to be scheduled for P4 by default but on a couple of occasions it has been switched from P4 to P5/P6 at the last minute so pax seem to have got into the habit of waiting at the end of P4/P5 until the train can be seen on the horizon.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #766 on: July 24, 2012, 11:00:29 »

Yes, I am often on the same train, and was quite surprised to find we are still waiting outside the station at the same time and place as was the case in the days when there were only two platforms and a single track approach over the bridge!

To allow an arriving train into P4 while a departing train leaves P5 would require an additional length of 'third track' and at least two more sets of points. As installed, P4 is a simple branch to the left off the straight route into P5 but this is beyond the crossovers between up and down lines. 

AFAICS (As Far As I Can See) the move you expect is going to be available in the opposite half hour, but only assuming the Waterloo train is leaving P6 directly onto the up line.

Maybe the timetable will be altered in future to optimise the capabilities of the three platforms?

The other point I've just remembered is that all the time P6 was out of use, the available track layout was effectively the same as the old set up prior to the alterations startimng, so any time in the last week that P6 was temporarily out of use it would also have had the same effect?

Paul
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 11:08:59 by paul7755 » Logged
mjones
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #767 on: July 24, 2012, 11:13:34 »

Ah, of course. I was naively assuming that approaching trains go straight into P4 so wouldn't conflict with departures from P5.  Hopefully with P6 fully functional this will give a bit more flexibility, as presumably a P6 departure can take place simulaneously with a P4/5 arrival, assuming platforms are available?
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #768 on: July 24, 2012, 11:24:10 »

As far as I can work out yes - P6 departures are independent of both possible arrivals. 

Track layouts at a multi-platform terminus (ie more than two) on a two track railway can get quite complicated - but without adding flyovers or underpasses there will always be certain moves that cause conflicts across the whole approach layout, either on arrival or departure.

Paul     
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #769 on: July 24, 2012, 12:12:08 »

Here's an improvement at Reading station that Network Rail have kept very quiet - TGVs (Train a Grande Vitesse)!! According to a street sign on a road near the station:

http://goo.gl/maps/nOol

Grin

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #770 on: July 24, 2012, 12:22:45 »

Webcam nrreading01 (cameras 1 and 2) showing steelwork for canopy support have been put in on both the P12/13 and P14/15 islands overnight...

Paul
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #771 on: July 24, 2012, 12:32:47 »

Here's an improvement at Reading station that Network Rail have kept very quiet - TGVs (Train a Grande Vitesse)!! According to a street sign on a road near the station:

http://goo.gl/maps/nOol

Grin

@BNM that is how rumours start!!
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #772 on: July 24, 2012, 18:27:29 »

Will we see any suitable passenger facilities such as seating on Platforms 4/5/6 I wonder?

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #773 on: July 24, 2012, 19:43:50 »

Webcam nrreading01 (cameras 1 and 2) showing steelwork for canopy support have been put in on both the P12/13 and P14/15 islands overnight...

Paul

Why did it have to be done in the middle of the night?  Surely a possession is not required for the crane to work there?
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #774 on: July 25, 2012, 10:24:42 »

Perhaps it was considered safer as there would have been fewer workers on site, fewer lorries delivering stuff and so on?

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #775 on: July 25, 2012, 11:08:49 »

From a few random checks on the webcams I think there is normally a significant night shift activity Mon - Fri anyway, it's not likely to be associated with possession requirements.

By the way, there's some canopy 'internal structure' appeared now on P14/15, and again it was being progressed in the small hours.  Might just be normal construction site working practices, spread everything out over 24 hours?

Paul
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 11:37:50 by paul7755 » Logged
mjones
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #776 on: July 30, 2012, 11:38:40 »

Platform 6 still seems to be out of use. No visible work going on at the moment, though last week there seemed to be some repairs to uneven paving being done.  Is there some more fundamental problem? Given the previously discussed conflicts that occur when accessing 4 and 5 it seems odd to leave it with that pair being the ones that get used.
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #777 on: July 30, 2012, 11:46:10 »

Platform 6 still seems to be out of use. No visible work going on at the moment, though last week there seemed to be some repairs to uneven paving being done.  Is there some more fundamental problem? Given the previously discussed conflicts that occur when accessing 4 and 5 it seems odd to leave it with that pair being the ones that get used.

I don't think it is true to say P6 is out of use as the North Downs trains I used on a frequent basis have pulled in there a couple of time but it certainly seems to be the case that it is not the "platform of preference". Certainly around about 615am there is normally an SWT (South West Trains) service on P5 and the 634 Gatwick service is advertised as P4...and then sometimes get moved to P6 at the last minute.

Due to overrunning engineering works at Theale last Friday I had to work from home but this morning I noticed the "2012 Olympic" destination signs were up. Did these go up on Friday?
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #778 on: July 30, 2012, 12:34:51 »

I asked a chap from the contractors on Friday, and he said the platform was definitely operationally available, but because they were still dealing with the snagging list the signallers were not routinely using it.  I don't think there's a fundamental problem.

Live departure boards (arrivals option) showed it in use over the weekend though not this morning - which makes sense if the contractors aren't about on Sat afternoon and all day Sun?

PS - webcam2 showing steelwork frame for the stairs at the P7 side of the transfer deck now.  Gives a good idea of the scale of the whole thing, the escalators will be between the stairs and the concrete wall that's soon to be cast...

Paul 
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #779 on: July 30, 2012, 13:49:26 »

I've just been watching the various time-lapse from the lobstertv cams at Reading. It's quite amusing to see the pauses in work, which are obviously weekends, when cranes, trucks, diggers and mixers all appear to suddenly stop and the orange clad army of workers disappear. Rather like everything is catching its breath. Noting though that the purple flashes of FGW (First Great Western) rolling stock continues without missing a beat!

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 230
  Print  

Jump to: