I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 23:35 28 Mar 2024
- Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
- Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Short Run
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 23:41:58 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[98] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[97] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[86] Return of the BRUTE?
[74] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[23] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 230
  Print  
Author Topic: Reading Station improvements  (Read 1356541 times)
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #855 on: October 08, 2012, 09:54:54 »

Web cam 01/1 showing some of the first visible platform edge copings and tactile strips to be installed, along the P13 face - note the blue temporary fencing, I assume because the earlier safety fence stanchions bolted to the blockwork will have been removed.

Paul
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #856 on: October 08, 2012, 16:55:47 »

More and more overhead power cable supports are appearing in the new depot as well.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
mjones
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #857 on: October 08, 2012, 20:48:35 »

There appears to be work going on south of the main line to mark out, board-off and clear a strip of land from the current depot to the other side of Cow lane. I assume this to be preparatory work for the main flyover...?
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #858 on: October 08, 2012, 23:02:09 »

There appears to be work going on south of the main line to mark out, board-off and clear a strip of land from the current depot to the other side of Cow lane. I assume this to be preparatory work for the main flyover...?

Yup.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Jason

View Profile
« Reply #859 on: October 09, 2012, 16:33:35 »

Also not on webcam - all of the canopies east of the existing footbridge have been removed.
One was feeling a little exposed this morning on platform 8
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #860 on: October 09, 2012, 19:29:37 »

The tower crane on the south side has also gone today. 
Jason

View Profile
« Reply #861 on: October 10, 2012, 09:13:39 »

Also not on webcam - all of the canopies east of the existing footbridge have been removed

And there are signs at the end of platform 1/2 stating that the canopies there will be removed over the next month and refreshed over the next 12 months.
pfneeves

View Profile
« Reply #862 on: October 15, 2012, 08:07:19 »

Getting of the train on Platform 2 this morning I noticed that lights have now been placed on the temporary scaffolding. So I am expecting that the canopy removal on Platforms 1 & 2 is going to happen very soon.

Also the new signal gantry at the end of the new platforms on the London side of the existing passenger bridge does not look as though it is wide enough to cover what will become Platform 15. Is the gantry going to be extended at a later date or is the signal for this platform be somewhere else?
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #863 on: October 15, 2012, 08:32:08 »

This morning I also noticed that roofing had been added to the stairs/escalators ramps down onto p8 etc. didn't have time to see if they had been added to p10 and associated platforms
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #864 on: October 15, 2012, 09:34:46 »

Also the new signal gantry at the end of the new platforms on the London side of the existing passenger bridge does not look as though it is wide enough to cover what will become Platform 15. Is the gantry going to be extended at a later date or is the signal for this platform be somewhere else?

Welcome to the forum.  If you look at the maps on page 55 of this thread, it looks as if the platform starting signals for Platforms 14 and 15 are not going to be fitted to the gantry, along with a couple of others in that vicinity.

paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #865 on: October 15, 2012, 17:12:35 »

Welcome to the forum.  If you look at the maps on page 55 of this thread, it looks as if the platform starting signals for Platforms 14 and 15 are not going to be fitted to the gantry, along with a couple of others in that vicinity.

Conventionally, the P15 up starting signal should be somewhere to the left of the tracks as seen by the driver, so 'over the wall' as it were.  That might be part of the reason why the gantry isn't being used, at least for P15.
mjones
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #866 on: October 17, 2012, 09:24:20 »

Looks like there is track being installed in the eastern fly-under. Only had a fleeting glimpse as I went by, will look more closely on my way back this evening.
Andrew1939 from West Oxon

View Profile Email
« Reply #867 on: October 17, 2012, 09:27:40 »

"track being installed in the eastern fly-under" Does this bring the propect of direct trains from Oxfordshire to Gatwick any closer?
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #868 on: October 17, 2012, 09:32:47 »

"track being installed in the eastern fly-under" Does this bring the propect of direct trains from Oxfordshire to Gatwick any closer?

Well, once finished it will provide a second, less conflicting, route from the main Reading station to the Southern lines.  So in that respect I suppose it does.  Due to be commissioned next Easter along with the new platforms.

Jason

View Profile
« Reply #869 on: October 17, 2012, 13:10:42 »

Looks like there is track being installed in the eastern fly-under. Only had a fleeting glimpse as I went by, will look more closely on my way back this evening.
There is also a retaining structure being built on the ramp up on the north side, presumably as part of the transition from heavy plant access to track.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 230
  Print  

Jump to: