Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 13:35 28 Mar 2024
* Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
13:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:29 Weymouth to Gloucester
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:42 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
12:46 Avonmouth to Weston-Super-Mare
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:07 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:26 Okehampton to Exeter Central
14:05 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
Delayed
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 13:45:23 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 230
  Print  
Author Topic: Reading Station improvements  (Read 1356470 times)
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #870 on: October 17, 2012, 17:13:36 »

"track being installed in the eastern fly-under" Does this bring the propect of direct trains from Oxfordshire to Gatwick any closer?

Highly unlikely IMHO (in my humble opinion), especially now that the relevant section of the GW (Great Western) is being electrified, but the North Downs line isn't. 

We've discussed this point before, so I'll keep it short, but I think the Oxford - Gatwick idea was never actually likely anyway, because there are basically no Oxford - Reading services suitable for through working with the Reading - Gatwicks.  I don't think anyone was ever going to accept a reduction in Oxford - Paddington services just to provide rolling stock or paths for such a new route.

I suggest that the typical use of the diveunder will be at start and end of service to get the stock to/from the depot across the layout without conflicting with the main lines.  Oh, and maybe that daily XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) Guildford train...

Paul
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #871 on: October 17, 2012, 18:10:19 »

There was at least one Oxford to Gatwick service a few years back.  I think it left Oxford about 04:00 which probably filled two functions, getting stock onto the line and providing an early morning link to the airport.  However I think Paul7755 is right that in the current climate that is unlikely to return particularly as the first Gatwick service of the day is often started late and/or curtailed short because of engineering work.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #872 on: October 17, 2012, 18:55:42 »

"track being installed in the eastern fly-under" Does this bring the propect of direct trains from Oxfordshire to Gatwick any closer?

Highly unlikely IMHO (in my humble opinion), especially now that the relevant section of the GW (Great Western) is being electrified, but the North Downs line isn't. 

We've discussed this point before, so I'll keep it short, but I think the Oxford - Gatwick idea was never actually likely anyway, because there are basically no Oxford - Reading services suitable for through working with the Reading - Gatwicks.  I don't think anyone was ever going to accept a reduction in Oxford - Paddington services just to provide rolling stock or paths for such a new route.

I suggest that the typical use of the diveunder will be at start and end of service to get the stock to/from the depot across the layout without conflicting with the main lines.  Oh, and maybe that daily XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) Guildford train...

Paul

Especially as the Depot will be on the North side.

It would allow for the Gatwick services to use the relief platforms thereby making cross platform connections easier

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
pfneeves

View Profile
« Reply #873 on: October 18, 2012, 10:06:16 »

From the vantage point that I have from looking out of my office window I can confirm that some track has been put down underneath the bridge.
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #874 on: October 18, 2012, 10:21:51 »

From the vantage point that I have from looking out of my office window I can confirm that some track has been put down underneath the bridge.

When I came into reading yesterday I thought the spur to the underpass had got longer - will try to have a look this pm
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #875 on: October 18, 2012, 19:56:52 »

When I came into reading yesterday I thought the spur to the underpass had got longer - will try to have a look this pm

Get his afternoon it looks like the spur track from the north downs line now extends the length of the underpass (but it is difficult to tell for sure)
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #876 on: October 18, 2012, 21:48:08 »

There was at least one Oxford to Gatwick service a few years back.  I think it left Oxford about 04:00 which probably filled two functions, getting stock onto the line and providing an early morning link to the airport.

It was at just gone 5am from Oxford with a return at roughly 10:30pm from Gatwick.  On Saturdays there were two trains with the 4am also going to Gatwick,instead of London, as it does (and did) in the week.

Get his afternoon it looks like the spur track from the north downs line now extends the length of the underpass (but it is difficult to tell for sure)

From what I can tell it goes to a point just under the bridge, with the ramp up to the station still being used for materials transfer.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #877 on: October 18, 2012, 22:22:30 »

There is a new edition of Reading Station News (No 4) on the Network Rail website http://www.networkrail.co.uk/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=30064783758
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #878 on: October 19, 2012, 10:22:37 »

From what I can tell it goes to a point just under the bridge, with the ramp up to the station still being used for materials transfer.

AIUI (as I understand it) from the conversation I mentioned earlier (in post #853 on page 57), the only deliveries from the east end now are all track related.  All station construction deliveries are now from the west end,  in fact I have an idea that there was a fairly large pile of ballast obstructing the route between Vastern Rd bridge and the rest of the worksite when I last looked?

I see the new 'Reading News' mentioned above also confirms the date the old footbridge will start being demolished as the end of Feb.

Paul
mjones
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #879 on: October 19, 2012, 10:24:40 »

Yes, I could see a very large pile of ballast there yesterday evening.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #880 on: October 19, 2012, 11:12:27 »

Just noticed on webcam 01/2 that a 'laser dozer' has appeared on the up relief trackbed alongside the new P15. 
Update at 1300 geotextile fabric has been laid.
Update at 1600 some ballast has also been put down.

First signs I've seen of the track laying contractor in this area - although my aforementioned contact did say this would be happening about now.

(Be good if they had a webcam looking towards London now, I reckon!)

Paul
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 16:05:00 by paul7755 » Logged
Boppy

View Profile
« Reply #881 on: October 19, 2012, 12:20:58 »

I noticed the underpass track protruding out from the north side of the underpass on my way in this morning.

Boppy.
lordgoata
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #882 on: October 19, 2012, 12:41:21 »

I haven't a clue which direction is North or South in relation to where the underpass is, but this morning just after 8am there was sections of track piled up at the entrance of the underpass on the Tesco side Cheesy I couldn't see if it was actually laid in the underpass itself though.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #883 on: October 19, 2012, 13:35:42 »

I haven't a clue which direction is North or South in relation to where the underpass is, but this morning just after 8am there was sections of track piled up at the entrance of the underpass on the Tesco side Cheesy I couldn't see if it was actually laid in the underpass itself though.

Tesco side is the North side or in railway speak the up side

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
lordgoata
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #884 on: October 22, 2012, 12:48:15 »

Ah ha Smiley Many thanks Electric train!

I couldn't see what progress had been made this morning, will try and have a peek tonight though.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 230
  Print  

Jump to: