16:31 Barnstaple to Axminster
Delayed
08:28 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 10:58:21 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[159] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[146] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[59] Signage - not making it easy ...
[12] IETs at Melksham
[11] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[10] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 230
  Print  
Author Topic: Reading Station improvements  (Read 1361624 times)
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1005 on: December 13, 2012, 11:06:16 »

I would expect that a lot of the internal detailed fit-out would be planned to be done somewhat nearer to the final opening anyway.  There's little point in laying final surfaces and putting up wall claddings and the like, until the transfer deck is no longer doubling up as access to the building site. 

The access ramps and steps to the south end of the subway should also happen fairly quickly now, a lot of foundation concrete is being poured at the moment, and it is the sort of structure that can be built rapidly.

Paul
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: December 13, 2012, 11:57:41 »

Thanks for the update II, I think 2-4 April (not March) for P12-P15 opening. 

Of course.  My mistake.  Now corrected.

I don't suppose there is any chance that any of you who have the ability to take the odd snapshot could post one now and then for the benefit of we who are remote from proceedings, please?

Here's a few I took last Sunday:

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: December 13, 2012, 12:00:02 »

Great pics II thanks for posting
swrural

View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: December 13, 2012, 13:09:14 »

II, thank you very much.  We've come a long way since I used to haul boxes of freight accounting paperwork up to the station from the Reading computer bureau in the Signal Works (1969 -ish) at some unearthly hour of the morning.
 Angry
Gordon the Blue Engine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: December 13, 2012, 13:30:52 »

Interesting pictures, thanks II.  The first three pictures show no sign of escalators down to the platforms despite the fact that they're planned to be installed and in use by 29th March.  Tube users know how long it can take to replace escalators (sometimes years!).

Howvere, the last picture shows a mysterious package, marked Kone,  being transported across the ML's.  Kone make escalators, so it looks like the first bit of escalator is being moved across to the new platforms. 

Interesting way of getting them across to where they're being installed
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: December 13, 2012, 14:38:35 »

That's what I thought - hence the photo opportunity.  As you say, that's probably equipment for the new escalators then.  There were several such movements taking place during the day requiring some pretty deft handling of those yellow transportation vehicles as there's not much turning space on Platform 7/8.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: December 13, 2012, 18:46:12 »

Interesting pictures, thanks II.  The first three pictures show no sign of escalators down to the platforms despite the fact that they're planned to be installed and in use by 29th March.  Tube users know how long it can take to replace escalators (sometimes years!).

Howvere, the last picture shows a mysterious package, marked Kone,  being transported across the ML's.  Kone make escalators, so it looks like the first bit of escalator is being moved across to the new platforms. 

Escalators come prefabricated, site fit out is to fit the treads, side panels and some wiring and then set them up.  The ones fitted at Waterloo mezzanine recently were installed fitted out and tested in less than 2 weeks (each) the problem the Tube has is access and working on them while the station is open to the public   

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: December 14, 2012, 09:59:15 »

I think the main point is that escalator fitting and routine maintenance in normal circumstances (ie not on the deep tube lines) is nothing like as difficult or time consuming.  I suspect that there were some sort of fundamental design errors made in the early days on the tube, regarding long term access for both maintenance and replacement mostly to do with those inclined shafts, and perhaps nearly every escalator there is uniquely sized to the location. 

The Reading equipment is probably relatively standard equipment.

Paul
Gordon the Blue Engine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: December 14, 2012, 12:17:28 »

I take the point that installing new escalators in a purpose designed "enclosure" will be much simpler than replacing very old escalators on the Tube netweork.

But even so, I wonder if the escalators were late being delivered, as the first enclosures have been ready for some time and they have 16 (I'm assuming 4 per island) to install by 29th March.  And I would be surprised if the Project Plan was based on them being trundled across all the running lines as shown in II's picture.
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: December 14, 2012, 12:21:05 »

I take the point that installing new escalators in a purpose designed "enclosure" will be much simpler than replacing very old escalators on the Tube netweork.

But even so, I wonder if the escalators were late being delivered, as the first enclosures have been ready for some time and they have 16 (I'm assuming 4 per island) to install by 29th March.  And I would be surprised if the Project Plan was based on them being trundled across all the running lines as shown in II's picture.

I was under the impression there were two per island and stairs but may be wrong
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: December 14, 2012, 14:04:26 »

It varies - P8/9 has 4 escalators, with a staircase alongside each pair, but the other 3 narrower islands have 3 escalators, 2 on the London side and a single one (with a parallel stair) on the other side.

Trundling heavy stuff over the running lines during an overnight block is a standard practice - those polystyrene blocks in the picture are man-portable and can be laid very quickly between the platforms, I've seen them in use on many projects in the south, eg to get plant over onto island platforms during SWT (South West Trains)'s current platform lengthening work. 

swrural

View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: December 14, 2012, 15:17:32 »

Ollie I forgot to thank you as well, pardon.  (And those captions??)   Cheesy
Oxman
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: December 14, 2012, 19:29:27 »

Webcam 3 of nrreading01 showed two lorry loads of Kone equipment, including four very large items, being craned onto the site today (using the tower crane). I guess these are destined for the new platforms, which might suggest its only the equipment for platforms 7/8 which needs to be brought in over the tracks.
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: December 14, 2012, 20:58:49 »

Ollie I forgot to thank you as well, pardon.  (And those captions??)   Cheesy

You're welcome. I will do those soon... or I might remove the bit about me doing captions Wink
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: December 15, 2012, 11:41:39 »

Webcam 3 of nrreading01 showed two lorry loads of Kone equipment, including four very large items, being craned onto the site today (using the tower crane). I guess these are destined for the new platforms, which might suggest its only the equipment for platforms 7/8 which needs to be brought in over the tracks.

That figures, because the weight capability of the tower crane will be much reduced at the radius needed for P8 and P9. 

(Which is presumably what you meant, because for P7 they'll be able to use the main entrance.)

Paul
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 230
  Print  

Jump to: