I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 21:55 28 Mar 2024
* Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
20:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:30 Shalford to Reading
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:20 Bristol Temple Meads to Severn Beach
22:10 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 22:06:00 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[104] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[103] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[78] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Return of the BRUTE?
[25] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 230
  Print  
Author Topic: Reading Station improvements  (Read 1356531 times)
Andrew1939 from West Oxon

View Profile Email
« Reply #1020 on: December 15, 2012, 16:26:02 »

Those photos cetainly give the impression of a 21st century rail station. I wonder what the old GWR (Great Western Railway) entheusiasts think about it.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: December 15, 2012, 18:39:51 »

Those photos cetainly give the impression of a 21st century rail station. I wonder what the old GWR (Great Western Railway) entheusiasts think about it.

They could go here http://www.broadwaystation.co.uk/ where they are building a new GWR station.

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: December 16, 2012, 07:12:02 »

Saw this on Journeycheck

Reading Facilities: Lifts out of order At Reading station.
The lifts will be out of order between Platform 10 and Overbridge from 15/12/2012 08:04 until further notice.
Message Received :15/12/2012 08:05

Is this a breakdown, I wonder, or part of the station redevelopment work.  If it is the latter it could be problematic for those who can't use the stairs, particularly as Platform 10 is the main London bound platform on Sundays and between Christmas and New Year.
Jason

View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: December 18, 2012, 10:20:02 »

However, the last picture shows a mysterious package, marked Kone,  being transported across the ML's.  Kone make escalators, so it looks like the first bit of escalator is being moved across to the new platforms. 

As of yesterday evening, a large pre-fabbed escalator is sat in one of the wells on the east side of P8.
It's not in final position yet, it's at more of a reclined angle.
Oxman
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: December 18, 2012, 14:54:33 »

Yesterday the normal stairs and the lift between the overbridge and platform 10 were both taped off and passengers were being directed to use the temporary stairs on the east side of the overbridge to access platform 10. Altogether not a very good arrangement - not a lot of signage and not the most customer friendly access. I don't know how long this will persist, or if it is permanent? Has to be some issues re access for the disabled to/from Platform 10.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1025 on: December 18, 2012, 15:17:48 »

A couple of other things to note:

We now have track partly laid by platforms 13/14/15.  Ballast is down but still waiting sleepers by the looks of it though! 

Also if you look on Camera 4 of nrreading01's webcams you can see a door in the side of the transfer deck leading to the walking route to the new depot and sidings.  I understand that this walking route won't require staff to be PTS (Personal Track Safety) (Personal Track Safety) trained and won't involve walking over the viaduct with a lighting system to tell you it's safe to keep walking.  Much safer!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: December 18, 2012, 16:35:29 »

Perhaps they'll use the Balfour Beatty 'new track construction machine' to lay the sleepers and clip the track, within a few days from now?  Dropping the rails in roughly the right position, cutting them to length and temporarily joining them takes place before the machine appears, I found a YouTube video here that shows the machine in operation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhVu7jQZXy0

A photo of the current situation alongside P14/15 attached below, and also a picture of a gantry that's appeared at the west end of the new platforms some time over the last fortnight or so...

Paul 
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 17:52:52 by paul7755 » Logged
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: December 18, 2012, 16:43:42 »

Cheers, Paul.  Anybody else got neck ache though?   Wink

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: December 18, 2012, 17:02:58 »

Cheers, Paul.  Anybody else got neck ache though?   Wink

Sorry about that - thanks to using an iphone to take the photo, and a mac to upload it, unfortunately Apple's software
hid the fact I had the phone upside down.   Roll Eyes

I think it might be OK to look again now...

Paul
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 17:53:30 by paul7755 » Logged
John R

View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: December 18, 2012, 21:07:35 »

I'm intrigued by the heavyweight looking gantry. I thought NR» (Network Rail - home page) was installing much lighter constructions now.
stebbo

View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: December 18, 2012, 21:55:54 »

With reference to Electric Train's comment, go to Winchcombe on the GWR (Great Western Railway) where there's a working station albeit much of it transported from Monmouth. But I think station design has evolved - like airports we need to have more retail outlets so you can buy your dinner, a new suit, tie, bra, knickers, mobile phone etc.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: December 18, 2012, 22:42:43 »

And in the case of the Severn Valley Railway, there are some rather controversial plans to "update" Bridgnorth with new visitor attractions and a new footbridge with lift access, which many members don't think will be in keeping with the historic ambience of the station. Maybe they could go the whole hog and put a gateline in as well.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: December 19, 2012, 16:18:23 »

I'm intrigued by the heavyweight looking gantry. I thought NR» (Network Rail - home page) was installing much lighter constructions now.

Thinking about this, although there definitely are lighter varieties of lineside signals that have been recently fitted, (e.g. on the Salisbury - Exeter route), I suspect there's much more complexity about Reading, especially in the station area.  If that gantry has to carry the 'full monty' for 4 platforms, and in both directions, ie two heads for the four main aspects, and any necessary feathers or theatre box route indicators, and calling on lights (for two train working), and CD (Capital Delivery)/RA indicators [1], then it all gets significantly heavier and on top of all that you have to add OHLE safety cages to allow for maintenance staff to get to the signalling equipment while the juice is on.  They may also be fitting various aids such as shades and back boards to improve signal sighting.

[1] Close doors and 'right away' indications for one person operation - which if Basingstoke is any precedent, could be fitted even if they are not normally ever used...

Paul
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: December 19, 2012, 16:27:14 »

[1] Close doors and 'right away' indications for one person operation - which if Basingstoke is any precedent, could be fitted even if they are not normally ever used...

Are the existing CD (Capital Delivery)/RA ever used at Reading these days?  I have not seen them used in many a long year.

There's a small handbill going round giving pre-warning of the Easter blockade.  It mentions a total of 100 new information screens being installed.  Seems a lot but spread across 15 platforms and entrances/exits and walkways I suppose it soon mounts up.  Details of the revised service over Easter will be published next month according to the leaflet.  I fancy a trip via Banbury - missed out when the Christmas block was on.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: December 19, 2012, 17:24:00 »

Are the existing CD (Capital Delivery)/RA ever used at Reading these days?  I have not seen them used in many a long year.

They are used on all DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) services that depart from Platforms 11 and 16, and on all platforms if Driver<>Guard equipment isn't working.  Next Easter would be an ideal time to try to standardise all the method of working on all DOO services so that CD/RA is always used.  We'll see if that opportunity is grasped.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 230
  Print  

Jump to: