Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 18:15 28 Mar 2024
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
* Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:48 Reading to Gatwick Airport
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
18:04 Bedwyn to Newbury
18:08 London Paddington to Frome
18:26 Newbury to Bedwyn
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
18:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
18:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
19:24 Newbury to Bedwyn
19:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:16 Frome to Westbury
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
14:49 Plymouth to Cardiff Central
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:20 Reading to Gatwick Airport
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:30 Warminster to Bristol Temple Meads
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:18 Newbury to London Paddington
19:06 London Paddington to Bedwyn
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
Delayed
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
17:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
17:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 18:25 Shalford to Reading
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 18:17:51 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 230
  Print  
Author Topic: Reading Station improvements  (Read 1356500 times)
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #1035 on: December 19, 2012, 19:21:36 »

Would be nice to think that the RA indicators could be used for driver/guard working as well, since they are interlocked with the signalling and won't allow a "ding ding and away" SPAD (Signal Passed At Danger). There are certainly precedents elsewhere, Birmingham New Street for example where all trains are despatched with an RA despite driver-guard operation.

Or are the CD (Capital Delivery)/RA indicators in the Thames Valley a different design that means they're not suitable for driver-guard working? Clearly the CD serves no purpose if the guard is closing/locking the doors rather than the driver: does the interlocking mean that CD has to be displayed before RA will pop up?

Those photos cetainly give the impression of a 21st century rail station. I wonder what the old GWR (Great Western Railway) entheusiasts think about it.

They could do a lot worse than visit Birmingham Moor Street, where a superb job has been done of providing a busy station with excellent, modern facilities at the same time as retaining a very heritage, GWR feel.
Southern Stag

View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: December 19, 2012, 19:25:02 »

Presumably the sleeper is despatched at Reading using RA indicators because of the lack of driver-guard communication, the CD (Capital Delivery) indicators wouldn't be needed then either.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: December 19, 2012, 19:28:08 »

Or are the CD (Capital Delivery)/RA indicators in the Thames Valley a different design that means they're not suitable for driver-guard working? Clearly the CD serves no purpose if the guard is closing/locking the doors rather than the driver: does the interlocking mean that CD has to be displayed before RA will pop up?

No, direct to RA is possible - and occasionally used in the case of faulty Driver<>Guard comms on HSTs (High Speed Train) or 180s.  Personally I think on non-DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) trains the Guard giving two on the buzzer is a better system than using a RA indicator as it doesn't rely on the driver continually observing the RA box, they just wait for buzz-buzz and go.  Delays can occur when using the RA if the driver isn't on the ball all the time.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: December 19, 2012, 23:04:01 »

Presumably the sleeper is despatched at Reading using RA indicators because of the lack of driver-guard communication, the CD (Capital Delivery) indicators wouldn't be needed then either.

Never seen the sleeper despatched at Reading so I'm not sure, but the RA indicators would make sense as I don't *think* there's a driver-guard buzzer on that stock. However it's also possible that it's despatched in the time-honoured way with the guard giving the driver a green flag (or green light, during darkness, fog or falling snow...). That is still the fallback method of despatch in the event of a buzzer/RA indicator failure, and all guards (should...) carry flags and a handlamp in case of need.

No, direct to RA is possible - and occasionally used in the case of faulty Driver<>Guard comms on HSTs (High Speed Train) or 180s.  

Thanks, had often wondered about that! I ended up travelling on one of Chilterns 67-hauled sets the other day which *seemed* to have a weird method of despatch going on. The guard had a two-way radio and from the tit-bits I overheard it sounded as if she was in radio contact with the driver and despatching that way: common enough in the US but I'm not aware of it being used in the UK (United Kingdom) ever. Not even entirely sure if it's covered by the rule book. The disclaimer is that it's entirely possible that I misinterpreted what was going on though!
Southern Stag

View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: December 19, 2012, 23:10:34 »

Never seen the sleeper despatched at Reading so I'm not sure, but the RA indicators would make sense as I don't *think* there's a driver-guard buzzer on that stock. However it's also possible that it's despatched in the time-honoured way with the guard giving the driver a green flag (or green light, during darkness, fog or falling snow...). That is still the fallback method of despatch in the event of a buzzer/RA indicator failure, and all guards (should...) carry flags and a handlamp in case of need.

Definitely no driver-guard on the MK3s or the 57s. Despatched using green flag, or green light in the winter, throughout Cornwall. Not sure if the RA indicators are used where installed at the bigger stations though. They use RA indicators at Redruth in the up direction because the 57 is stopped in the tunnel and it wouldn't be particularly easy for the driver to see a flag or light.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: December 19, 2012, 23:32:14 »

Meanwhile back with the track laying, as I write this the webcams show the Balfour Beatty new track machine is sitting in P13, and there's a ballast train in P15, so as I thought might happen, progress has been swift...

Paul
swrural

View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: December 20, 2012, 12:19:57 »

I've been dying to ask this.  Is the kink in the main down platform to go?   Has it gone?

It's a wonder it was not listed, being Brunel's bright idea (?) to send trains in and out of two halves of a single platform.
Oxman
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: December 20, 2012, 14:05:23 »

The dispatch process for sleepers at Reading is:

Dispatcher gives the first tip to guard, who then locks the doors.
Dispatcher gives second tip to guard to show all doors locked safely.
Guard gives green light to dispatcher.
Dispatcher gives RA to driver.

All done without a single whistle - wouldn't want to wake the passengers!

By the way, the lift and stairs from platform 10 to the overbridge are back in use. Apparently, the lift has been suffering significant rain water ingress since the canopy was cut back. A temporary fix has been made to the canopy to rectify the problem.
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: December 20, 2012, 14:12:01 »

When I walked through Reading from P4 to P1 last night I was suprised with the amount of rain water that was coming through the round holes in the bottom of the overbridge. This suprised me because (a) I though the roof was on the overbridge and (b) I thought the round holes were for lights!

Lets hope I am wrong on both counts!
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: December 20, 2012, 14:15:26 »

I've been dying to ask this.  Is the kink in the main down platform to go?   Has it gone?

Platform 7 is to be built out from the middle of its length by about one track width towards P8.  It will have a completely new platform edge, and be significantly straighter than it is now, so I expect there'll be little or no evidence of any original details.

Paul
Southern Stag

View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: December 30, 2012, 20:11:34 »

The first schedules for the diverted trains this Easter have started to appear online. Some links for the 29th March for anybody who is interested:
London Paddington: http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/advanced?location=London+Paddington&date=29%2F03%2F2013&tocs=All&timespan=1&show_schedules=11&schedule_type=0&show_wtt=1&show_var=1&show_stp=1
Exeter St Davids: http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/advanced?location=wat&date=29%2F03%2F2013&tocs=All&timespan=1&show_schedules=11&schedule_type=0&show_wtt=1&show_var=1&show_stp=1

Service is broadly similar to Christmas 2010. 1tph London Paddington-Swansea and 1tph London Paddington-Bristol Temple Meads via the Chiltern Line, Banbury and Oxford. 1tph London Waterloo-Plymouth/Penzance via Westbury. This time the services to London Waterloo are running along the main lines from Basingstoke-London Waterloo. The result is quicker journey times, only roughly 1 hour longer than normal journey times to Paddington. Reading has the standard service in to the Southern platforms (4/5/6) and out of platform 2 there is 1tph to Basingstoke and 1tph to Bedywn, with every other train extended to Westbury. This will mean a very rare visit of Turbos to Westbury station.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: December 30, 2012, 20:25:56 »

Thanks SS. I'm travelling back from Gatwick on the 30th March, but notice that services from London still appear to be via Reading. Do I assume that they have not yet reloaded the amended services yet?
Southern Stag

View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: December 30, 2012, 20:32:16 »

Indeed, I'd expect the rest to be uploaded over the next couple of days.
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #1048 on: December 30, 2012, 22:09:10 »

Well I will be at Reading to get some pics of the class 165/166's at Westbury since its not something we see usually although after 2016 I think it will be more regular providing they can be cleared to work services from Bristol to Weymouth once they are displaced from the Thames Valley region
EBrown

View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: December 30, 2012, 22:28:19 »

Just to clean up those links a little and make it a tad easier to read by removing other TOCs (Train Operating Company) (Only GW (Great Western) displays)
Services from:
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 19:10:06 by EBrown » Logged

I am no longer an active member of this website.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 230
  Print  

Jump to: