Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 13:55 28 Mar 2024
- Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
* Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
13:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
14:13 Par to Newquay
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:10 Newquay to Par
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:29 Weymouth to Gloucester
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
12:42 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
12:46 Avonmouth to Weston-Super-Mare
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:07 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:26 Okehampton to Exeter Central
14:05 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
Delayed
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 14:04:22 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 230
  Print  
Author Topic: Reading Station improvements  (Read 1356473 times)
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #1080 on: January 04, 2013, 14:09:58 »

a liitle later...  And how common is it for trains carrying passengers to be signalled under calling on signals, unless they're coupling up?

Isn't this similar to the situation at Temple Meads, where trains frequently occupy the two sides of the same platform face? Though I don't know whether calling on signals are used, as the route indicators tell the driver which platform to stop at.
At BTM (Bristol Temple Meads (strictly, it should be BRI)) there are X signs to tell drivers where to stop.  You are correct that the main entry signals display the correct platform number (the X sign indicating the split point) and the display of a platform number beyond the X sign in the direction of travel is the drivers authority to pass the X sign (otherwise go to jail Tongue).  The Call On movements are controlled by a subsidiary aspect (two white lights at 45 degrees) on the entry signal and this gives authority to enter an occupied platform up to the X sign and, with the correct platform number displayed, beyond the X sign.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: January 04, 2013, 14:38:42 »

That letter about the Network Change for the new platforms coming into use (that I've linked to a couple of times now, eg post #887) mentions that the 12-15 roads will have 'closing up' signals.  Not a term in regular use as I recall, so are these different to what are normally described as calling on signals - or is it just a local term for the same, or indeed are these what SandTEngineer referred to as 'entry signals'?

Regarding passenger moves through 'calling on' signals without coupling, I think this is fairly common isn't it?  As well as Southampton as previously discussed, I can think of it happening normally in the bays at Portsmouth and Southsea, and at Portsmouth Harbour too.  Familiarly known as 'top train working', an example is the FGW (First Great Western) Cardiff service which at certain times of the day gets a SN train following it into the station and using the London end of the platform.   Mostly this seems to work without the sort of additional signs like they have at Bristol TM(resolve).

Am I right in thinking trains always come to a stop at a Red before getting the calling on indication, so presumably that is the primary safety feature?

Getting back to Southampton, as far as I can see trains entering platforms 2 and 3 in the down direction stop at the relevant stop marker to position them in the A end by default, but the signal indications seen by drivers of trains such as the terminating XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) look the same as far as I can tell - I can only assume they run all the way through because that is what their diagram requires?

Paul
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 14:56:38 by paul7755 » Logged
CLPGMS

View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: January 04, 2013, 14:59:44 »

The practice of allowing a second train into an already occupied platform was fairly common at Oxford, until, some years ago, when a Thames Trains' Turbo coming from the sidings, ran into the rear of a FGW (First Great Western) HST (High Speed Train).  Then the practice appeared to cease, except for Turbo coupling movements.  However, on occasions, it is still used, as it was on Friday 28th December, when the 1331 Turbo to Paddington was delayed in the platform while flooding ahead was being investigated.  The following CrossCountry Voyager was allowed to enter the platform behind the Turbo, so that its passengers could alight/board, rather than keeping it at the signal outside the station.  I think that a lot may depend on the combined length of the two trains compared with that of the platform.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1083 on: January 04, 2013, 15:01:55 »

'closing up' signals this i believe was a term in use on LT particularly on the Inner Rail at Victoria Circle Line. Whereby there were a series of signals close together on the approach to the station.

If there was train already in the station then the following train would be slowed at each signal which would clear just in front of it. Thus in theory the following train kept rolling whilst the previous train departed and the platform was clear. If the platform wasn't clear the next train would stop just in the tunnel a few yards from the platform.

i believe the system was removed some time ago.
Oxman
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: January 04, 2013, 15:18:07 »

Calling on at Oxford was reinstated for passenger movements about three years ago following a new risk assessment (the rules had changed since the accident - the starter signal now has to be at danger for call on to be allowed). It is used mostly during times of perturbation, as described by CLPGMS.

The X signs at Bristol (known as St Andrew's Cross) are signals, not signs! When not illuminated, they are a stop signal, just like a red light, and passing them at danger counts as a Spad. The platform indicators on the approach signals are just that - indicators. They do not give authority to proceed past the St Andrew's Cross.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: January 04, 2013, 15:30:34 »

Calling on at Oxford was reinstated for passenger movements about three years ago following a new risk assessment (the rules had changed since the accident - the starter signal now has to be at danger for call on to be allowed). It is used mostly during times of perturbation, as described by CLPGMS.

The X signs at Bristol (known as St Andrew's Cross) are signals, not signs! When not illuminated, they are a stop signal, just like a red light, and passing them at danger counts as a Spad. The platform indicators on the approach signals are just that - indicators. They do not give authority to proceed past the St Andrew's Cross.

I think you may have misunderstood my wording (which I tried to keep simple for non-signalling posters on here).  The route indicator on the entry signal will either display the platform number on approach to the X sign (they are not signals and they are not lamp proved and therefore not proved alight in the entry signal controls) or that beyond it.  If the route indicator displays the latter then it is giving authority to pass the X Sign and I have travelled on many trains that do just that.  The Calling On aspect on the entry signal works exactly the same but tells the driver there is an obstruction in the relevant platform.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 15:47:23 by SandTEngineer » Logged
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: January 04, 2013, 15:38:37 »

That letter about the Network Change for the new platforms coming into use (that I've linked to a couple of times now, eg post #887) mentions that the 12-15 roads will have 'closing up' signals.  Not a term in regular use as I recall, so are these different to what are normally described as calling on signals - or is it just a local term for the same, or indeed are these what SandTEngineer referred to as 'entry signals'?
You are correct.  As I said before the controls are quite complex.  When the platform is obstructed then the signalling controls will hold the entry signal (the Inner Signal) at danger.  Because the obstruction is also occupying the overlap of the entry signal the next signal back on approach (the outer signal) will also be held at danger.  As the approaching trains reaches the outer signal it will clear to a single yellow.  This is known as the 'Warning Arrangement'.  When the approaching train reaches the entry signal and is proved to be under control the entry signal will clear with the Calling On (two white lights at 45 degrees) aspect giving authority for the train to proceed to the point of obstruction.  The entry signal once used to be described as the 'Closing Up Signal' as that is exactly what it allows.  I used the term 'Entry Signal' in an attempt to KISS (keep it simple, stupid!) for non-signalling forum members on here Roll Eyes.

Modern Calling On controls do not allow the exit signal to be cleared at the same time as the entry Calling On signal.  This is because when the train is moving up to the obstruction there have been instances in the past where the exiting train suddenly came to a halt and the following train thought it could carry on moving and then misjuged its braking and ran into the rear of it. Cry
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 15:51:39 by SandTEngineer » Logged
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: January 04, 2013, 15:42:04 »

I think you may have misunderstood my wording (which I tried to keep simple for non-signalling posters on here).  The route indicator on the entry signal will either dispay the platform number on approach to the X sign (they are not signals and they are not lamp proved and therefore not proved alight in the entry signal controls) or that beyond it.  If the route indicator displays the latter then it is giving authority to pass the X Sign and I have travelled on many trains that do just that.  The Calling On aspect on the entry signal works exactly the same but tells the driver there is an obstruction in the relevant platform.

That's right, number wise at the entry signal we were always told back in the old days that it was 'odd for the Oxford end' of the platform and 'even for the Exeter end' of the platform if arriving from the eastern direction.  The St. Andrews cross only acts as a sign to indicate where the two separate platforms are located.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Gordon the Blue Engine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: January 04, 2013, 16:02:28 »

So, at Reading, are there Platform Indicators on the entry signals to P12-P15 to tell the Driver where to stop if the platform is clear and he/she gets a green or yellow? If there are, do they say just A or B, or is there an option for "middle" ?
Oxman
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: January 04, 2013, 16:29:36 »

Its a few years now since I did my dispatch and guards training, but I clearly recall that the St Andrews Cross at Bristol was a signal, and not just a marker to split the platforms.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: January 04, 2013, 16:34:27 »

So, at Reading, are there Platform Indicators on the entry signals to P12-P15 to tell the Driver where to stop if the platform is clear and he/she gets a green or yellow? If there are, do they say just A or B, or is there an option for "middle" ?

No route indicators so drivers have to use their judgment and crawl in very slowly Wink
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: January 04, 2013, 16:52:19 »

Its a few years now since I did my dispatch and guards training, but I clearly recall that the St Andrews Cross at Bristol was a signal, and not just a marker to split the platforms.

Although it is a signal, in the same way a painted red stop board in a depot is a signal, it is effectively just a marker point because the authority to pass it is given by the route indication at the entry signal as described in the posts above.  It is a very unusual method of working, unique perhaps?

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
lbraine

View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: January 08, 2013, 04:00:17 »

Interesting to see Reading station develop. Pre Christmas I would have thought things were looking good for Easter - but I am less sure now.

Concrete forms for step/escalator access to western side of 14/15 are not complete.
Metal structure for canapies missing on all new platform (some struts have gone in this week)
At least 16 escalators need to be installed
Finishing of platform buildings and canopy

To me, that's ALOT of work.

Also, has anyone else noted the additional line laid between the up and down reliefs? It starts by the cow lane bridge, off the Up RL, running half the length of the maintainence shed being built. I thought it was a turnback for terminating trains but the three lines are too close together for a walkway to be built for allowing a driver to change cabs.

It is hinted at on the first diagram on post 55 - you can see the RLs are apart but the middle line is not showing.

What is this line for (no connection at western end BTW (by the way)) ?
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: January 08, 2013, 10:15:47 »

Also, has anyone else noted the additional line laid between the up and down reliefs? It starts by the cow lane bridge, off the Up RL, running half the length of the maintainence shed being built. I thought it was a turnback for terminating trains but the three lines are too close together for a walkway to be built for allowing a driver to change cabs.

It is hinted at on the first diagram on post 55 - you can see the RLs are apart but the middle line is not showing.

I don't think anyone has welcomed lbraine to the forum yet, so I will.

I'm sure the station work is still on schedule.  There's no way they would have had a ten day shutdown over the Christmas and New Year period otherwise.  The optimists amongst us have discussed stuff like the escalators only a few pages ago...

Edited to add:  Webcam 1 view 3 shows the concrete panels for the 14/15 escalators growing by the day, and what looks like the final prefabricated sections have been delivered to site.  That'll take a few days to fit together.

The west end track layout is very much in transition, because in the interim they have to leave space for four tracks (two mains and two reliefs) in the space between the flyover worksite and the depot.  So effectively the reliefs are roughly about two tracks north of their final location all the way along past the sidings until the four tracks slew back across onto the normal layout (as suggested by the first track drawing you refer to.  Once the flyover is built the mains will move southwards onto the flyover, and one of the temporary reliefs becomes an up direction good loop, and IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly) there is a parallel track that is primarily for depot and sidings access.

Paul
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 11:57:20 by paul7755 » Logged
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: January 08, 2013, 10:22:04 »

As a layman, but a frequent traveller through Reading, I am often suprised at how things look like they may be ready on time and then everything slots into place.

On a smaller scale, I seem to remember similar discussions about (the new) P4 and then P5 and P6 which from memory were completed and brought into service on time.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 230
  Print  

Jump to: