16:31 Barnstaple to Axminster
Delayed
13:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 16:23:18 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[269] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[101] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[44] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[41] Signage - not making it easy ...
[8] IETs at Melksham
[7] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 230
  Print  
Author Topic: Reading Station improvements  (Read 1361658 times)
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1110 on: January 13, 2013, 11:30:15 »

Are they still diverting trains via Banbury on weekend 5th to 8th April?

Yes,

The trouble is that for closset track bashers like me who have still not done the Foxhall curve, livng East of Reading  means you have to get to Padd, which I not sure you can do from Slough this Easter, and then go right through to Swindon.

I've also still  got to do Yeovil Pen Mill - Yeovil Jn. The railtour that was meant to do it missed it out through lack of pilotman. It was Charing Cross to Weymouth and back to Waterloo, all the way along the coast.

On the lighter side how many reversals. But they were easy 33's and TC(resolve)'s.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: January 13, 2013, 11:42:04 »

The FGW (First Great Western) document states "..........will be able to follow a specially-marshalled walking route.....".  Does this mean that it will be guided walk through what will still be a building worksite (looks likely from the webcams).  This could add to the time as there may have to be single line working with one staff member taking people through in groups Grin Cheesy
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: January 13, 2013, 12:05:54 »

The trouble is that for closset track bashers like me who have still not done the Foxhall curve, livng East of Reading  means you have to get to Padd, which I not sure you can do from Slough this Easter, and then go right through to Swindon.

Now I know why I moved to Swindon!   Grin
adc82140

View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: January 13, 2013, 12:34:27 »

Having read the document I reckon they're just covering their backsides by stating 15 minutes extra, so no-one tries to claim compensation if they miss their train. They also have to consider a worst case scenario- someone trying to get access with a bike, pushchair and a double bass  Grin
Gordon the Blue Engine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: January 13, 2013, 12:36:25 »

It is surprising and depressing that FGW (First Great Western) should produce such a poorly designed document as that on access routes from 28th February.  It's full of errors, omissions and inconsistencies, some of which have been mentioned on these pages.  Before publication it should have been tested on a sample of Jo Publics - this would have ensured that errors etc could have been revealed and corrected first.

According to the second diagram, if I arrive on P7 on a fast from Padd after 29th March and want to get my stopper to Pangbourne, I'm supposed to leave the station by the western entrance, use the subway, re-enter the station by the northen entrance, and then go down to P12.  It may be this is only a temporary arrangment until 8th April, but I can't tell from the diagrams.  

Of course it may be that the existing footbridge has got "forgotten" in the second diagram.  Common sense would seem to point to the existing footbridge (albeit with the link to the car park cut off) staying open until the new footbridge is complelety open.

Louis94

View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: January 13, 2013, 13:25:01 »

Are they still diverting trains via Banbury on weekend 5th to 8th April?

Only on Sunday 7th and Monday 8th.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: January 13, 2013, 16:14:06 »

The new (temporary) Whitehouse Junction is being installed over this and next Sunday.  Whitehouse Junction is at the very western end of the new depot and will (from Easter) mean that the main lines close, the relief lines become the 'new' main lines and the goods line become the 'new' relief lines.  The map on page #55 of this thread explains that much better than I just have!

As a result both this and next Sunday passenger trains are using the goods loops - thought I'd mention that just in case there's any track bashers out there!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: January 13, 2013, 16:19:45 »

Another strange paragraph here:

http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/About-Us/Rail-improvements/Reading-station-improvements

"Reading Station will be open for South West Trains services (Platforms 4&5), and FGW (First Great Western) North Downs services (Platform 2) ^ closed Sunday 07 April"

Have they probably accidentally chopped a bit out of the draft information, surely it's Newbury and Basingstoke stoppers that are using P2, and North Downs will use P4/5 as normal?

Paul
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: January 14, 2013, 14:10:32 »

...According to the second diagram, if I arrive on P7 on a fast from Padd after 29th March and want to get my stopper to Pangbourne, I'm supposed to leave the station by the western entrance, use the subway, re-enter the station by the northen entrance, and then go down to P12.  It may be this is only a temporary arrangment until 8th April, but I can't tell from the diagrams. 

That's another part of the problem - they've provided info about how to get to P7 unnecessarily, as a check of the timetable for the whole 10 day period shows that P7 is out of use throughout (as are P8/9/10/11) and your hypothetical connection will not be a problem, as all down trains will be using the new island.   

It's fair to say they've let a lot of poor information out into the wild without thoroughly checking it...

Paul
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 13:01:24 by paul7755 » Logged
Gordon the Blue Engine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: January 14, 2013, 16:41:54 »

That's a fair point, Paul, so it looks to be OK if your arriving at Reading from Padd.  But for passengers arriving on P1-P6 (which are open over Easter) how will they get to P12-P15 for an onward connection?  Is the existing footbridge open or not?

..later  ie use old foot bridge to P8/9 or P10/11 then walk down platform to use new footbridge to P12-P15.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 16:47:13 by Gordon the Blue Engine » Logged
Gordon the Blue Engine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: January 14, 2013, 18:49:03 »

It's fair to say they've let a lot of poor information out into the wild without thoroughly checking it...

Paul

Will the person/people responsible get a "Please Explain.." memo like a Driver would get?
Jonty

View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: January 15, 2013, 00:15:52 »

www.therailengineer.com/2013/01/08/reading-remodelling-takes-shape

Interesting article (but a few details wrong...)
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: January 15, 2013, 14:29:09 »

They seem to be really flying along with the access ramps by the south end of the station subway today, a whole load of additional pre-fabricated sections have been placed this morning.  They are also backfilling behind the inner 'wall' against the building foundations.  So, given fair weather, I predict that'll be ready for the finishing trades by this time next week... 

Likewise the last few bits of the P14/15 stair and escalator walls have appeared over the last couple of days. 

Paul
Jason

View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: January 18, 2013, 10:54:59 »

So, given fair weather...

Wink Indeed - the webcams look most impressive at the moment.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: January 18, 2013, 11:19:16 »

So, given fair weather...

Wink Indeed - the webcams look most impressive at the moment.

Ah, you didn't know the bit out the front is to be the start of the new Bobsleigh course then?   Grin

I'm somewhat surprised to see there's concrete being pumped in at the moment though, they seem to have been doing the roof over the subway extension, and the top of the steps.  Seems to have started snowing as they were getting towards the end of the job, but I wonder if they should have even started given the forecast.   

Any concrete boffins out there?

Paul
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 11:26:15 by paul7755 » Logged
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 230
  Print  

Jump to: