Foundation, Beatties of London (link)

Train RunningCancelled
22:18 London Paddington to Oxford
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 23:10:33 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[260] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[200] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[54] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[48] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[23] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[22] Signage - not making it easy ...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 230
  Print  
Author Topic: Reading Station improvements  (Read 1361750 times)
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1125 on: January 18, 2013, 11:36:41 »

Concrete cures more slowly at low temperatures, and does not cure at all at very low temperatures.
Large masses are often OK since the curing process produces a certain amount of heat. Small masses of concrete such as thin floor slabs laid onto a frosty subsurface may fail to cure properly or at all.
Conditions at Reading at present though snowy are probably not that cold, maybe just below freezing.

To a certain extent, matters may be improved by storing the materials in a warm building and by use of warm water to mix the concrete.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: January 18, 2013, 21:55:15 »

I saw this picture on twitter. I assume the tweeter wants it published to the entire universe, and that he / it /she holds the copyright, because I have not received an answer to my question re the same. Viewer advisory is discretionary, and let me know if you don't want it posted here.

So busy with the legals, I forgot where I was. Here's a picture from Reading:

Now, please!
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: January 18, 2013, 22:38:35 »

I'm sure Mark won't mind. I retweeted on both my account and the FGW (First Great Western) account and it got several retweets from that.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1128 on: January 19, 2013, 11:15:11 »

Must get down to Reading soon there's a lot going on which I need to catch up with.

Can couple it with a visit to the Hobgoblin and the Pie Shop.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: January 19, 2013, 11:34:29 »

the Pie Shop.

Are you referring to Sweeney & Todds in Castle Street?  Excellent tucker there.  Meanwhile the Hobgoblin is now known as the Alehouse.
swrural

View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: January 19, 2013, 15:45:56 »

I'm sure Mark won't mind. I retweeted on both my account and the FGW (First Great Western) account and it got several retweets from that.

Ollie, when i wrote here to you about your photos, as a newbie, I had no idea you were an employee, so just to say how grateful I was for the captions, and thank you for taking all this trouble to keep us informed. 
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: January 22, 2013, 22:50:03 »

I'm not sure if we've discussed it, and I personally only spotted it when the physical signal was installed the other week, but there is a turnback signal being installed on the down relief at Tilehurst station (TR1760).  An interesting addition to the signalling flexibility - I'm guessing it is to facilitate the easy reversal of services to allow trains via Southcote Junction that want to call at Reading, to do so at weekends whilst the dive under and track layout is altered over the coming years?  Can't think of any other purpose to it (though it might be useful when things are not going to plan!).

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Southern Stag

View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: January 22, 2013, 23:38:39 »

There's four service a day reversing at Tilehurst from the 2nd-5th April, the week when only the new Relief line platforms are open at Reading. Will these perhaps use it? Service btw are:
1K71 0520 Bristol Temple Meads-London Paddington
1A72 0604 Frome-London Paddington
1C91 1703 London Paddington-Paignton
1C94 1800 London Paddington-Exeter St Davids
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: January 23, 2013, 02:25:02 »

Ollie, when i wrote here to you about your photos, as a newbie, I had no idea you were an employee, so just to say how grateful I was for the captions, and thank you for taking all this trouble to keep us informed. 

No problem. I know I still haven't fully captioned them, one thing after another gets in the way. Hope you liked the photos though Smiley
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1134 on: January 23, 2013, 06:41:59 »

Taking over an hour each, I note, from Reading West to Paddington, with just one intermediate public stop at Reading [General].

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: January 23, 2013, 10:56:40 »

There's four service a day reversing at Tilehurst from the 2nd-5th April, the week when only the new Relief line platforms are open at Reading. Will these perhaps use it? Service btw are:
1K71 0520 Bristol Temple Meads-London Paddington
1A72 0604 Frome-London Paddington
1C91 1703 London Paddington-Paignton
1C94 1800 London Paddington-Exeter St Davids

Yes, I'm sure they will.  Thanks for providing those details.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Oxman
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: January 24, 2013, 15:14:14 »

February issue of Modern Railways has just arrived and in it there is an excellent article on the Reading redevelopment.
lbraine

View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: January 27, 2013, 06:52:52 »

The new platforms yesterday. No escalators in situ yet (note the lack of stair access to the new platforms.

Platform 11 edge profile half completed, due to current lift shaft working being in the way (does any one know how the is going to be resolved ? You can't complete P 11 without access to P 10 being removed. In fact track at London end of P12 cannot be laid as current P 11 terminating bay is too close to P12 alignment. Given P10/11 are the main lines platforms to London (eventually) these works do look like the potential bottleneck.

Platform 12 surface not completed. No light fittings on any of the new platform fittings or structures.

It's going to be a race over the next half a dozen weeks to complete this work!! And the remaining lack of escalators (8 for sure, 12 including P10/11) and the required commissioning time....

My bet will be that platforms open with just one side being open with escalators
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: January 27, 2013, 09:21:12 »

Platform 11 isn't opening at Easter so no problem with it not being completed.  The old bay Platform 11 closes at the start of the blockade so (with the footbridge span going four weeks before) that gives time to demolish the existing Platform 10/11 access and lay the new track through Platform 12.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 09:36:33 by SandTEngineer » Logged
Gordon the Blue Engine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: January 27, 2013, 10:45:36 »

FGW (First Great Western) have made a few changes to their walking route plan we discussed a few pages back.  It's now showing the new footbridge fully open from 29 March with all platforms accessible from both entrances - before it appeared to show no access across the footbridge between P7 and P8.  And it would be clearer if the text block on the 29 March onwards Drawing stating "New west entrance with access to all platforms" was below P1/2 and not next to the subway entrance.

Still, it's better than it was before.  I now know how I get from P6 (which seems to have its tracks removed) to P12 over Easter.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 230
  Print  

Jump to: