08:35 Banbury to Didcot Parkway
Delayed
06:30 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 07:29:00 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[163] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[105] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[59] Where have I been?
[58] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[56] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[49] Death of another bus station?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 230
  Print  
Author Topic: Reading Station improvements  (Read 1362952 times)
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #1155 on: February 02, 2013, 12:17:13 »

Timetables for the Easter period are now available on the FGW (First Great Western) website Reading Station Improvements page:
http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/Your-journey/Rail-improvements/Reading-station-improvements

Well thats a good start.  Page 4 in the West of England timetable is blank Angry Roll Eyes Tongue
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: February 02, 2013, 12:42:21 »

Timetables for the Easter period are now available on the FGW (First Great Western) website Reading Station Improvements page:
http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/Your-journey/Rail-improvements/Reading-station-improvements

Thanks - booked my Good Friday trip from Swindon to Westbury via Banbury and Waterloo!!
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: February 04, 2013, 16:40:40 »

Rails installed overnight alongside P12, at least west of the existing footbridge - be interesting to hear how far towards the London end they go if anyone is passing through the station later?

I changed trains there yesterday morning and did have time for a quick look. As far as I could see (it was raining hard at the time) it is connected in at the London end.

Thanks for checking.   Smiley

I also had a look today from the footbridge, and I've attached a quick phone picture, which also shows how well the future down relief 'lines up' with P12.  In my (totally unqualified) opinion, the P11 track does seem to get quite close to it - I doubt a train would be allowed through P12 yet.  Having said that, it was also a rumour about the new P4 and P5 at one stage during that construction, but it turned out not to be the case.

Paul
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 18:31:23 by paul7755 » Logged
Southern Stag

View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: February 05, 2013, 22:42:45 »

There's been a lot of talk about the escalators on the new footbridge on here so I got a quick photo from 8/9 yesterday of the new escalators in place, looks like two escalators and stairs on this side.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: February 06, 2013, 12:15:55 »

That's right, as per the plans P8/P9 is the only island with four escalators and two staircases.

What I thought when on P8/P9, is that with the views available at the moment behind the hoardings you really do start to get an idea of how much circulating space there is?

The open space along the length of the platform, both in the two areas between the foot of the escalators and the platform buildings, and under the transfer deck around the lift shafts, will be huge.  It also occurred to me that when P9/P10 is complete it too will have more than enough space for waiting passengers.

Paul
Gordon the Blue Engine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: February 06, 2013, 17:56:22 »

I do agree: I too was at Reading yesterday afternoon having come non-stop on an HST (High Speed Train) from Bristol Parkway (but that's another story).  Whatever I've said about the uncanopied areas (which I stand by), there are indeed large and spacious canopied areas on P12/13 and P14/15 under the new footbridge and adjacent to the escalators and stair wells. 

Just hope that trains stopping outside the canopied areas are the exception rather than the rule. 

lbraine

View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: February 07, 2013, 08:34:48 »

Observed this AM: the new lines laid across the new Cow Lane bridge by the new depot have been removed. Includes ballast and membranes laid. Bare concrete of tunnel roof once again visible.

Anyone know why ?

Signalling on London side looks energised, including North South link.

Platform roofing panels going up both side of escalator/stairs on P10/11 are advanced, P12/13 has started country end.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1162 on: February 07, 2013, 12:47:55 »

Picked up printed timetable at Taplow for Easter and following weekend.

If you travelling locally East of Westbury or Didcot you will basically be on a bus for part or even all of the journey.

We are  marroned in both directions at Taplow with just a shuttle train  with buses West of Maidenhead and East of Slough over Easter.

The following weekend we can't get West of Maidenhead
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: February 08, 2013, 10:23:34 »

There was quite a major change to the roofing progress last night, a significant section of the sloping roof over the P12/13 country side staircase and escalator has been installed, and many of the gaps in the P10/11 roof cladding are nearly all closed as well.

I wonder if the rest of the roof will start appearing quickly now - there's also more of the main steelwork support structure appeared recently on the London side of the same areas.

Paul
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: February 08, 2013, 10:44:57 »

Observed this AM: the new lines laid across the new Cow Lane bridge by the new depot have been removed. Includes ballast and membranes laid. Bare concrete of tunnel roof once again visible.

Anyone know why ?

I noticed that, too.  Not sure why.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: February 09, 2013, 14:28:27 »

A very large crane has appeared and large escalators for the London side of platforms 10/11, 12/13 or 14/5. Could they deliver and lift all in in one session?

paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: February 09, 2013, 17:10:07 »

I think that might be a reasonable assumption - I doubt they'd want to hire a crane like that too often if at all possible.  When I saw it at first I wondered if it would be to take down the tower crane - that will need a mobile eventually I imagine.

I still expect that one of these weeks there'll be a sudden surge in activity! As I noted in that earlier post ^^ the roof sections can go on quite quickly once the frame is complete...

Paul
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: February 09, 2013, 17:12:42 »

I have decided to take leave the week after Easter but I imagine I will see quite a difference when I restart my daily journey through Reading the week after!
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: February 09, 2013, 18:14:16 »

I think that might be a reasonable assumption - I doubt they'd want to hire a crane like that too often if at all possible.  When I saw it at first I wondered if it would be to take down the tower crane - that will need a mobile eventually I imagine.

I still expect that one of these weeks there'll be a sudden surge in activity! As I noted in that earlier post ^^ the roof sections can go on quite quickly once the frame is complete...

Paul

I expect they wanted to lift all the escalators in on the London side before they started doing the roof sections, so once they have done that they could get on quite quickly.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: February 10, 2013, 12:38:46 »

Looking at the scene just now, it looks like only the P14/15 escalators can be lifted whole, further lifts seem to be of sections of escalator.  That would imply the next island is still out of reach for that mobile crane once the greater load of a whole machine needs lifting.

Presumably every ground level delivery or crane lift is given its own cost analysis dependent on distance etc - I remember it being pointed out that some of the escalator sections for P8/9 were delivered across the tracks from the south entrance during overnight line closures.

Paul
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 230
  Print  

Jump to: