27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 06:19:55 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[174] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[112] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[63] Where have I been?
[62] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[52] Death of another bus station?
[46] Penalty fares on Severn Beach Line

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 230
  Print  
Author Topic: Reading Station improvements  (Read 1362924 times)
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1170 on: February 10, 2013, 13:23:12 »

Looks like that crane won't reach P10/11 so they will have to be lifted in the same way they did P8/9
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1171 on: February 10, 2013, 14:09:52 »

There's an escalator fit progressing in the P10/11 housing just now, (seen on webcam 1/2 about 1400 on 10th) and working back through the webcam history it looks like it was delivered in bits yesterday, using tracked lifting devices moving along the P11 trackbed.

Paul
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 14:20:58 by paul7755 » Logged
lbraine

View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: February 10, 2013, 17:33:11 »

Escalator going into P14/15 London side today
lbraine

View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: February 10, 2013, 17:34:12 »

Nearly done...
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: February 10, 2013, 19:25:40 »

Distinct lack of progress this afternoon.  They put one piece of the P12/13 escalator, lifted the next piece up, then left it hanging there for a long time before putting it down and have done nothing with the crane since.

If they had finished with the crane I am sure they would have taken it away, so I guess something is not going to plan.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1175 on: February 10, 2013, 20:10:39 »

Weather problems?  Might just be the wind speed, especially if they are trying to accurately position stuff?

Paul
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: February 10, 2013, 20:30:28 »

No much wind here, but am 45 miles to the west.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: February 10, 2013, 20:55:44 »

Seem to have started lifting again now (with another truck load of gear) as at 2050...

Paul
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: February 10, 2013, 21:02:56 »

Yes do now seem to be off loading the truck that has been waiting there since lunchtime. I am sure the driver is most relieved. There is another one queued up on camera 3 though.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: February 10, 2013, 21:40:06 »

Could they have exceed their time under the Control of Pollution Act 1974 Section 61

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: February 10, 2013, 22:46:01 »

Or might just have run out of drivers hours. Perhaps not - still unloading trucks at 23:20.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 23:26:13 by ellendune » Logged
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: February 11, 2013, 14:22:51 »

Having watched them on the webcam history craneing bits of escalator onto P12/13 this morning, I think my supposition last night about windspeeds being a problem may have been reasonable.  The escalators for this island appear to be being lifted in three parts, and joined together in situ while hanging off the crane.  With workers in close proximity (presumably doing up nuts and bolts) they wouldn't want any unexpected movements at all.

Paul
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: February 11, 2013, 18:54:39 »

Having watched them on the webcam history craneing bits of escalator onto P12/13 this morning, I think my supposition last night about windspeeds being a problem may have been reasonable.  The escalators for this island appear to be being lifted in three parts, and joined together in situ while hanging off the crane.  With workers in close proximity (presumably doing up nuts and bolts) they wouldn't want any unexpected movements at all.

Paul

You may be right I was not aware that was any wind but it may be local.

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: February 11, 2013, 23:35:21 »

Changing the subject slightly, but just to clear up a couple of points that we've discussed in the past which have now become clearer:

1) Method of working for Platforms 12-15
They all have 'Closing In' signals at either end of the platform and are split into an 'A' and 'B' end.  Trains of up to 5 carriages in length that are terminating and heading back out in the same direction will stop at a 'Rear Clear' stop board located approximately mid-way along the platform in either direction ('A' end is London, 'B' end is the Country End).  That will then allow the signaller to route another train (again of up to 5 carriages) into the other part of the platform using permissive working arrangements at the Closing In signal (i.e. a red aspect with two white lights).

Trains of more than 5 carriages will stop at the relevant stop car marker further down the platform, as will through trains of any length.  Regarding concerns over canopy lengths, the canopies are long enough to shelter a train of roughly 6 carriages long, but any train that has stopped at the Rear Clear marker at the 'A' end of the Platform will have most of its length out in the open.

2) Cross Country trains
We've covered the lack of flexibility for through Cross Country services in the past and apparently it's also a concern for NR» (Network Rail - home page) and XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)).  As we suspected, their through reversing services will generally use Platform 8, though they could also use Platforms 9 or 10.  Should a problem develop with the critical set of points at Westbury Line junction (or indeed the route on the Up/Down Main to or from those platforms) then that will leave no simple option, but there are still three options available to the signaller to keep those trains running.
  • A train could use platforms 12/13/14 or 15 and be sent out of the east end of the station into what is now Kennet Bridge Goods Loop.  That loop is being upgraded to passenger status, so, for example, a train from Manchester to Bournemouth could be routed into Platform 14 at Reading, depart from there and be signalled into Kennet Bridge Loop, before reversing and then being routed through Reading's Platform 7 and on towards Basingstoke.
  • As above a train could be signalled into 12-15 and then be sent back to Tilehurst station's new reversing signal before being sent via the West Curve through to Oxford Road Junction
  • As has happened in the past, trains could just miss out on the stop at Reading and be routed via the West Curve stopping at Reading West.

If anyone has any other questions, now is the time to ask!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
swrural

View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: February 12, 2013, 13:13:45 »

Operationally I would go for the last option - but -  unless Reading West is updated, it has poor access and step free only on the up side.  Other facilities are pretty miserable too.  Good bus service to town centre outside. A free shuttle to General (or whatever it is now called) would be helpful (unless local buses now go there anyway - it's 44 years since I lived there   Grin ).

Perhaps it could be suitably updated with lifts and decent waiting facilities.  It's a good station for the west side of Reading and  no mistake.  How many pax from (say) Oxford or Eastleigh want to change at Reading General who could not have taken an alternative service to get there?   
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 230
  Print  

Jump to: