Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
16th Apr (1987)
~ Tulyar arrives at Swanley New Barn Railway (link)

Train RunningCancelled
22:44 Taunton to Bristol Temple Meads
17/04/24 00:45 London Paddington to Reading
Short Run
16:50 Penzance to Cardiff Central
18:38 Barnstaple to Exmouth
19:56 Cardiff Central to Taunton
23:24 Didcot Parkway to London Paddington
Delayed
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 19:48 Exeter St Davids to Exmouth
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 21:26 Bristol Temple Meads to Cardiff Central
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 16, 2024, 20:07:44 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[303] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[71] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol
[69] BBC Great Coastal Railway Journeys - A Correction
[69] Proposals for open access services on new routes
[65] Okehampton
[51] First tour train of season

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 230
  Print  
Author Topic: Reading Station improvements  (Read 1361222 times)
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1215 on: February 19, 2013, 19:48:18 »

The tower crane is lifting the other roof sections for the London end escalators as I write.

Just a thought, once all these roof sections go on there'll not be much to see at all!   Sad

I always thought it was a bit of a shame that they didn't have a view of the track work at either end of the station area...

Paul

If you look on number 1 there is a new camera 5 - only the test card so far but...
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: February 21, 2013, 00:01:11 »

Travelled through Reading this evening....

Mildly surprised to see an up fast HST (High Speed Train) service to Paddington pull in on Platform 7. I've not really followed all the ins and outs of what is going on at Reading, but I'm curious to know since when the old Platform 4 (now 7) became bi-di.

Never seen an up service pull in on this platform before. Lots of shouting from the platform staff saying 'this train is heading to Paddington.... please stand back. The next service on this platform is for Worcester, calling at Didcot, Swindon and all stations to Cheltenham Spa.'
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 00:06:31 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: February 21, 2013, 00:13:03 »

It has been for a few years. I've got off the up sleeper there before now. I think it used to be routed there as the only connection off it was for Gatwick off the old platform 4A! 

Admittedly it is a pretty rare event.  The only other time I've seen it was recently when only 7 and 8 were open for through trains because of the improvements and two up trains arrived close together.
Oxman
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: February 21, 2013, 00:15:04 »

Platform 7 (the old platform 4) has always been bi di, well at least since Reading was last resignalled in the 60s! Actually, I think Brunel first made it bi di!

It was only used for up services at times of perturbation, which usually produced the reaction you described.

Also used occasionally for up services to the North Downs, particularly if a set swap was needed.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: February 21, 2013, 00:19:48 »

That was the case this evening. Two up fasts arrived almost simultaneously on P7 and P8. The one that came in on 7, possibly 1L91 from Cheltenham Spa, was given the road ahead of the service that pulled in on 8.

Incidentally, this up train that surprised me on P7 was a 2+7 HST (High Speed Train). It was missing a coach G.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Oxman
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: February 21, 2013, 00:40:59 »

Platform 7 is most often used for up services off the B&H (Berks and Hants - railway line from Reading to Taunton via Westbury), so you can get a simultaneous arrival with an up service from Didcot on Platform 8. The Platform 7 service gets priority to clear the platform for down services. And the number of passengers boarding on platform 7 is usually quite low!
Jason

View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: February 22, 2013, 13:28:49 »

What I'm thinking here is that having come up the ramps/stairs and over the subway, pedestrians will then have to turn immediately sharp right and go over towards the south side of Station Hill - in other words to cut across the worksite with barriers both right and left?

From the way things are currently shaping up it looks like your prediction is spot on !
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: February 22, 2013, 15:57:00 »

What I'm thinking here is that having come up the ramps/stairs and over the subway, pedestrians will then have to turn immediately sharp right and go over towards the south side of Station Hill - in other words to cut across the worksite with barriers both right and left?

From the way things are currently shaping up it looks like your prediction is spot on !

Scary isn't it!  Perhaps I should try the national lottery now...   Grin

Paul
Gordon the Blue Engine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: February 22, 2013, 16:39:47 »

Platform 7 (the old platform 4) has always been bi di, well at least since Reading was last resignalled in the 60s! Actually, I think Brunel first made it bi di!

It was only used for up services at times of perturbation, which usually produced the reaction you described.

Also used occasionally for up services to the North Downs, particularly if a set swap was needed.

I'm just wondering if P7 (old P4) has always been bi di for passenger trains, even if it has been for ECS (Empty Coaching Stock) etc.  I've got a vague recollection that the signal at the London end of this platform, with a new feather and a signalled route across to the UM, was installed more recently, maybe within the last 20 years.   

I agree it is not uncommon now for it to be used for Up passenger services.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 17:09:56 by Gordon the Blue Engine » Logged
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: February 22, 2013, 17:54:16 »

I'm just wondering if P7 (old P4) has always been bi di for passenger trains, even if it has been for ECS (Empty Coaching Stock) etc.  I've got a vague recollection that the signal at the London end of this platform, with a new feather and a signalled route across to the UM, was installed more recently, maybe within the last 20 years.   

I agree it is not uncommon now for it to be used for Up passenger services.
The signal may have been repositioned for sighting reasons when the passenger over bridge was installed

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1225 on: February 22, 2013, 20:41:48 »

I am sure I have a photo somewhere but I think the signal at the London end of platform 7 has a theatre box rather than feather(s).
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #1226 on: February 23, 2013, 01:26:01 »

From the Reading Chronicle:

Buses set for a boost from new look railway station

The completion of the multi-million pound transport interchange on the northern side of the new-look Reading Station will make a "huge difference" to the town's bus services.

The new bus, taxi, and cycle hub - one of two new interchanges being developed as part of the ^850m Reading Station upgrade - is taking shape off Vastern Road.

Reading Borough Council won ^9.6m from the Department of Transport towards the ^13.2m cost of creating the Vastern Road entrance area and another on the southern side of the station.

Reading Buses chief executive James Freeman said it will greatly benefit passengers travelling to and from the north of the town when buses begin using it in July and he added: "It will make a huge difference to passengers in Caversham, Peppard and Emmer Green, who have had a raw deal previously as buses have had to approach from the south side of the station. This will make it much quicker, meaning people can get straight to the platform. It will be fantastic railway serving the people of Reading and shows this is a place where you can get about without a car."

The company has already increased the number of buses on some of its routes in anticipation of the changes, including the Pink 22 and 24 running every 20 minutes from Caversham Heights from 5.30-7.15am and 5.25-7am respectively, the equivalent of a bus every 10 minutes from Caversham Library.

The company also launches a public consultation on Friday, March 1, canvassing views on what they think of the services so far and what improvements could be made.

Mr Freeman said: "It's always useful for people to give their impressions of how changes affect their journeys and they can pick up things we haven't always thought of."

Passengers will be able to respond online at www.reading-buses.co.uk or by completing paper forms available from its offices in Great Knollys Street.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
swrural

View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: February 23, 2013, 13:11:58 »

Euurgh!  I know one other FGWCS correspondent who mourns the passing of the purple trolleys eh, BobM?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 17:12:51 by swrural » Logged
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: February 23, 2013, 13:54:21 »

One thing I do like about Reading Buses is the colour coding of their routes and buses. Makes for quick identification of your bus when more than one is at a stand, terminus or stop.

That pink one currently matches the polo top I'm wearing!  Grin

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: February 23, 2013, 13:57:59 »

One of my prized possessions is a destination blind from a Reading bus before they got all those new fangled electronic ones.  Best livery in Reading is the 20/21 - the claret is the closest they have to the old maroon livery of my youth.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 230
  Print  

Jump to: