Short Run
15:50 Penzance to Gloucester
16:31 Barnstaple to Axminster
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 18:34:42 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[313] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[78] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[34] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[32] Signage - not making it easy ...
[6] IETs at Melksham
[6] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 230
  Print  
Author Topic: Reading Station improvements  (Read 1361698 times)
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1230 on: February 23, 2013, 16:01:11 »

Getting back to the matter in hand - the very large crane has turned up again this afternoon with all the extension pieces. Any idea what it is going to do this time?

Its in the same place as last week so looks to be something on the London side.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 16:49:43 by ellendune » Logged
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: February 23, 2013, 20:33:38 »

I am sure I have a photo somewhere but I think the signal at the London end of platform 7 has a theatre box rather than feather(s).

Correct.  Signal R49 (now TR49) was commissioned in November 1979.  Platform No.7 (previously Platform No.4) was only reversibily signalled from that date.  From the commissioning of Reading panel on 24-26 April 1965 until November 1979 there was a shunt signal R563 at this position.  The current signal has a Route Indicator for the Up Main or Reading Spur lines.  In five weeks time it is being replaced by new signal T1682 temporarily on the new signal gantry that can be seen here (its on this temporary post as it will be replaced with a proper caged signal in a new position once Platform No.7 is rebuilt against the present Up Main line): http://www.flickr.com/photos/mark_iliff/8416219893/in/pool-1945836@N21/lightbox/
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: February 23, 2013, 21:19:17 »

Thanks for that info, I was guessing that that signal was in a temporary position in a discussion with 'GBTE' back in November, around post# 927!

Paul
Angle42

View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: February 23, 2013, 21:22:55 »

Getting back to the matter in hand - the very large crane has turned up again this afternoon with all the extension pieces. Any idea what it is going to do this time?

Its in the same place as last week so looks to be something on the London side.

It may be the removal of the footbridge to the carpark.

The Network Rail announcement in December said that the footbridge would be removed by the end of February and they have almost finished the tunnel under the station - probably a day's worth of work left.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: February 23, 2013, 21:43:35 »

Not so.  The footbridge between the car park and Platfom 11 goes next weekend (its shut from 01 March 2013): http://firstgreatwestern.co.uk/Your-journey/Rail-improvements/Reading-station-improvements

The crane is positioned too far from the footbridge as well.

Welcome to the forum by the way.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 21:56:24 by SandTEngineer » Logged
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: February 23, 2013, 22:18:47 »

Welcome to the Forum from me too Angle42.. Hope you find it useful..
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: February 23, 2013, 22:39:37 »

Ah ha ... Large bits of metal have appeared. How about the canopy on the London end of platforms 10/11
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: February 23, 2013, 22:47:17 »

Agreed.  Exciting isn't it......... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Tongue
lbraine

View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: February 24, 2013, 12:35:23 »

Seen this morning:

Tilehust East junction is being relaid. Up and down relief lines being relaid to connect to new lines/freight line with what looked like connection for fast line - although these were not being connected.

Track over Cow Lane bridge has been relaid - but not yet reballested.

Additional signalling/RA indicators being fixed in situ along P12/13.

Channel being dug under country end of P8/9 and relief lines - but not obvious what the purpose was for.

Could not see what the large mobile crane was lifting. Fixed crane very busy bustling equipment around the site

paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: February 24, 2013, 13:20:46 »

P10/11 roof supports and roof sections turns out to have been the answer as 'ellendune' supposed - and they've installed almost enough so far to match the length of the P12/13 canopy, although eventually P10/11 will go much further along, as far as the present lift and stairs at least.

This is the bit I thought recently might be left for a while, but in hindsight they might have needed a line block lifting all that stuff over the new platforms once they became live, so it will make more sense to do the maximum possible now...

PS Regarding the Cow Lane bridge works, I wonder if for some reason they have had to replace what looked like waterproofing sheets? Backtracking through the webcam day by day suggests that might be what was done...

PPS - there's a structure appeared on the roof of the country end of the P14/15 canopy that looks as though it is part of an electrification gantry...

Paul
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 13:48:29 by paul7755 » Logged
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: February 24, 2013, 14:26:22 »

PPS - there's a structure appeared on the roof of the country end of the P14/15 canopy that looks as though it is part of an electrification gantry...

Paul

No way.  Surely thats a chimmny pot for the new waiting room fire........... Cheesy Cheesy
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: February 24, 2013, 14:47:53 »

Definitely got an odd angle to it though?

I've been wondering how well they'll integrate the OHLE equipment with the overall 'look' of the station - perhaps they'll use cantilevers from the platform centrelines rather than heavyweight gantries stretching right across all the tracks and platforms?

We'll probably find out shortly...

Paul
Gordon the Blue Engine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: February 24, 2013, 14:58:05 »

Thanks for that info, I was guessing that that signal was in a temporary position in a discussion with 'GBTE' back in November, around post# 927!

Paul
I am sure I have a photo somewhere but I think the signal at the London end of platform 7 has a theatre box rather than feather(s).

Correct.  Signal R49 (now TR49) was commissioned in November 1979.  Platform No.7 (previously Platform No.4) was only reversibily signalled from that date.  From the commissioning of Reading panel on 24-26 April 1965 until November 1979 there was a shunt signal R563 at this position.  The current signal has a Route Indicator for the Up Main or Reading Spur lines.  In five weeks time it is being replaced by new signal T1682 temporarily on the new signal gantry that can be seen here (its on this temporary post as it will be replaced with a proper caged signal in a new position once Platform No.7 is rebuilt against the present Up Main line): http://www.flickr.com/photos/mark_iliff/8416219893/in/pool-1945836@N21/lightbox/

S&T (Signalling and Telegraph) Engineer, thanks for confirming my vague recollections re this signal (ie R49), and that bi-di running for passenger trains through old P4 wasn't in operation before 1979.  OK it's a theatre and not a feather route indicator.

And it was clear to me that the signal hanging from a pole on the gantry must only be temporary as it wouldn't have met CDM (Construction (Design & Management) Regulations) requirements for maintainability.

Finally, was the trailing slip between DM and UM just east of old P4 put in from November 1979 as well?  And did the shunt signal R653 allow ECS (Empty Coaching Stock) wrong line on the DM UM down to New Junction?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 15:23:50 by Gordon the Blue Engine » Logged
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: February 24, 2013, 15:25:02 »

Definitely got an odd angle to it though?

I've been wondering how well they'll integrate the OHLE equipment with the overall 'look' of the station - perhaps they'll use cantilevers from the platform centrelines rather than heavyweight gantries stretching right across all the tracks and platforms?

We'll probably find out shortly...

Paul

Can't see how a cantilever from the centre would look any better than a gantry suspended between the centres.  A gentry would allow the span to be lighter weight.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: February 24, 2013, 15:36:29 »

A gentry would allow the span to be lighter weight.

You can't rely on the gentry to help out these days, what with the school fees and the possible mansion tax...

Now, please!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 230
  Print  

Jump to: