Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
07:00 Bedwyn to Newbury
07:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:13 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:46 Bedwyn to Newbury
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:12 Reading to Bedwyn
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 04:57:22 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[98] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[97] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[86] Return of the BRUTE?
[74] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[23] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 227 228 [229] 230
  Print  
Author Topic: Reading Station improvements  (Read 1356629 times)
Marlburian

View Profile
« Reply #3420 on: March 02, 2020, 10:30:25 »

I suspect that this may already have been discussed in this very long thread (and, as a newcomer I hope I may be forgiven for not ploughing through it), but was solar paneling every considered for that massive roof?

I am impressed with the new station, but I too have experienced the cold winds blowing through it. I'm not at all sure how this could have been prevented.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #3421 on: March 02, 2020, 12:05:54 »

I am impressed with the new station, but I too have experienced the cold winds blowing through it. I'm not at all sure how this could have been prevented.

In my over 50 years of using Reading (General) station, I don't think that has ever changed.  It was always a drafty and cold place Tongue
Reading General
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3422 on: March 02, 2020, 14:35:29 »

Reading (General) station

Grin
Can someone change the thread title to the correct station title for the older generation?
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3423 on: March 02, 2020, 15:38:08 »

AIUI (as I understand it) the ‘transfer deck’ is reasonably open in order to stop it being treated as an enclosed building with respect to ventilation, fire fighting arrangements, smoke clearance, emergency exits, etc etc.

Paul
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3424 on: March 02, 2020, 21:39:52 »

By coincidence I used Utrecht Station (as a passenger) for the first time last week.

The last time I was there was in 2004, when I walked under the station using a public subway. I could not see what was above, but could see from the subway that I was passing under a reasonably modern 15 platform station, and thinking to myself "it would be nice if we had something like that in Reading".

Well, I can confirm that we do now! Utrecht also has a structure over the middle of the station, a little wider than Reading's new overbridge, but the extensive platform ends are as exposed and draughty as Reading's. The escalators are also reminiscent of those at home. Two of those on my journey between trains were out of action, so I missed the connection I was going for. This was not however a problem for me last week as my onward destination was Amsterdam, and there appears to be a train about every 10 minutes between the two.
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #3425 on: March 03, 2020, 07:15:31 »

About the only place draftier than Reading station is the bus stop outside where you catch the bus to the hospital.
onthecushions
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3426 on: March 03, 2020, 11:42:31 »

As 2/3 of our weather traditionally comes from the South West, most main line  GWR (Great Western Railway) stations must be windy. We could have wind breaks on platforms but either wouldn't see our train coming or would walk into the glass. There are plenty of warm spaces to hide from the weather on the main platforms.

What we shouldn't have is a flooded transfer deck. While it must have ventilation louvres, they should have had droplet eliminators to prevent moisture entrainment.

It's just a pity there wasn't more roofing particularly over the escalators, and an eastern footbridge; customer amenity wasn't top of the designers agenda.

I still rather like it.

OTC
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 11:50:55 by onthecushions » Logged
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3427 on: July 26, 2020, 10:06:21 »

Noticed a new sight at Reading yesterday - as a transfer attached to a concrete block I am not sure you can describe it as a heritage sign - but there are a number around the station.

onthecushions
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3428 on: July 26, 2020, 12:46:45 »

Pity they couldn't use the right font - gill sans medium.

Tacky.

OTC

https://www.gwra.co.uk/auctions/totem-br-w-reading-general-h-f-ex-gwr-station-padd-2009nov-0335.html
« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 14:16:41 by onthecushions » Logged
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3429 on: July 26, 2020, 15:29:46 »

Agree OTC

Will they put separate "Reading South 1949-1961, Reading Southern 1961-1965", on a malachite green background on Platforms 4 to 6?
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3430 on: July 26, 2020, 15:32:32 »

I was wondering about that - but did not have time to walk down and look.
Marlburian

View Profile
« Reply #3431 on: July 26, 2020, 16:30:37 »

I wonder if the signage might confuse some people? Probably not, though back in the 1970s Head Office in London put some overseas visitors with limited English on the train at Paddington and, not being up to date with nomenclature,  told them to get off at Reading General, only for them to see only "Reading" signs. So they stayed on the train and ended up in Bristol. Lots of phone calls, and somehow they got on a train back.

At much the same period I was building a GWR (Great Western Railway) model railway and wanted to know the typeface for station name-boards and, as a press officer myself, rang a counterpart in, presumably, the British Rail (Western Region) press office. Somewhere I may still have the remnants of the Letraset sheet I used.
onthecushions
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3432 on: July 26, 2020, 19:58:05 »

Agree OTC

Will they put separate "Reading South 1949-1961, Reading Southern 1961-1965", on a malachite green background on Platforms 4 to 6?

https://www.gwra.co.uk/auctions/totem-br-s-ff-reading-southern-from-former-south-e-2019mar-0192.html

The green totem cost twice the brown one.

Electrification pays!

OTC
Sixty3Closure

View Profile
« Reply #3433 on: July 26, 2020, 23:21:17 »

Agree OTC

https://www.gwra.co.uk/auctions/totem-br-s-ff-reading-southern-from-former-south-e-2019mar-0192.html

The green totem cost twice the brown one.

Electrification pays!

OTC

Interesting site. Has anyone used it? Do they publish estimates on the lots nearer the time? I'm not particularly across railway memorabilia and looking at the previous sales there's obviously a premium for certain objects or themes but I have no idea what the logic behind it is.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3434 on: August 18, 2020, 06:03:40 »

I'm curious about the history of the General name. Not just in Reading but everywhere.

How did it originate? Was it only used by GWR (Great Western Railway) (and subsequent ex-GWR stations)? What was its meaning? Did it signify one station for goods and passengers as opposed to separate facilities? Or was it an equivalent of Central? When was it first and last used? Did it actually add any specific information to the place name?

I have split this thread - the post above now has a life of its own in its own thread at http://www.passenger.chat/23913

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 227 228 [229] 230
  Print  

Jump to: