Short Run
17:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
19:47 Bristol Temple Meads to Frome
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 24, 2024, 20:57:10 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[174] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[112] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[63] Where have I been?
[62] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[52] Death of another bus station?
[46] Penalty fares on Severn Beach Line

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 230
  Print  
Author Topic: Reading Station improvements  (Read 1362849 times)
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #90 on: October 02, 2010, 21:46:45 »

Note:  That link does not work for those of us who are not members of RailUK forums.  Roll Eyes

Oops sorry, I forgot about that. As for the timetable, I thought it was a bit strange,
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 02, 2010, 23:23:21 »

And the timetable shown on said link is in no way an official release.

It's probably a direct crib from the journey planners, (he did the same a week or two back for the XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) Southampton extensions); so about as accurate as anything could be at the moment, pending any last minute revisions to the TSDB. 

I think they're unlikely to chnage much now...

Paul
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #92 on: October 04, 2010, 09:58:29 »

It's attached to this post for anyone that wants to see it...
XPT

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 04, 2010, 18:26:11 »

A timetable for the  Penzance - Plymouth - Westbury - London Waterloo servie has been posted up on uk railforums:

http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?p=505152#post505152

More details on that thread

The timings of these services are a little different to the timings that are back on the FGW (First Great Western) site.  The services out of London Waterloo depart at xx:26, with the first service departing at 1026.

The timings for the services to and from Bristol and South Wales are back online on FGW too.

Just a couple of weeks now before cheap advance tickets on these services are bookable.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #94 on: October 04, 2010, 20:15:16 »

BUT....those timings twixt WAterloo & Basingstoke! Around 90 minutes!??
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 04, 2010, 20:22:30 »

Despite the timings, (which may not be finalised) it's still a darn site better than a rail replacement bus.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #96 on: October 04, 2010, 20:26:10 »

SWT (South West Trains) do it generally in 45-50 minutes....ok, I realise the HSTs (High Speed Train) are going the long way round, but nevertheless, 90 minutes? Just hpw long will they sit at Basingstoke?
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 04, 2010, 21:15:11 »

I did mention in an earlier post that up trains had 10 mins of extra time over down trains between BAS and WAT, and we also know they are timed as 158/159s; it is already known that they're taking the long way round via Staines, and as far as Barnes Jn they'll be pathed in amongst other SWT (South West Trains) services, either via Feltham or Hounslow.

Comparing that with SWT's timings whenever they make the same diversion (which is happening again this weekend by chance) would confirm they are using the usual diversionary timings.  The SWT website explains that this weekend mainline services will run in their normal times west of Woking, but depart from Waterloo half an hour earlier, (and vice versa).  Interestingly, to make this happen the Windsor service gets thinned out to make room - I haven't heard of that happening during the Reading blockade.

Here's the DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) diversion timings for example:

http://www.southwesttrains.co.uk/uploads/101024woe.pdf

Paul
Fish

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 04, 2010, 21:15:49 »

They are also due to stop at Clapham Junction, though hopefully not for 40 minutes or there would be gridlock!
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #99 on: October 04, 2010, 23:40:08 »

Without the working book it is difficult to judge I assumme the HSTs (High Speed Train) are sloted in between the stoppers and semi fasts. Ideally in the slot before both.

Be interesting to see the graph between Virgina Water and Feltham Junction which is the bottle neck. I imagine they'll be running on yellows most of the way.
Louis94

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 05, 2010, 07:35:51 »

A timetable for the  Penzance - Plymouth - Westbury - London Waterloo servie has been posted up on uk railforums:

http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?p=505152#post505152

More details on that thread

The timings of these services are a little different to the timings that are back on the FGW (First Great Western) site.  The services out of London Waterloo depart at xx:26, with the first service departing at 1026.

The timings for the services to and from Bristol and South Wales are back online on FGW too.

Just a couple of weeks now before cheap advance tickets on these services are bookable.

It would appear that the xx26 timings are the bank holiday times (27th and 28th), and those xx33 timings are the normal weekday timings.

SWT (South West Trains) do it generally in 45-50 minutes....ok, I realise the HSTs (High Speed Train) are going the long way round, but nevertheless, 90 minutes? Just hpw long will they sit at Basingstoke?

FGW services are restricted to the slow lines all the way because there are something like 25 bridges that would require strengthening for a HST power car to go over them on the fast lines.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 05, 2010, 13:59:20 »

FGW (First Great Western) services are restricted to the slow lines all the way because there are something like 25 bridges that would require strengthening for a HST (High Speed Train) power car to go over them on the fast lines.

In fact the oppposite is probably true.

If you read the NR» (Network Rail - home page) document I linked to a while ago (15th Sept) it reports that:

"Around twenty minutes pathing time exists in both up and down Waterloo paths giving robust headroom, including for any speed restriction that may be necessary at the one remaining bridge under gauging assessment between Basingstoke and Byfleet Junction."

It also says that:

"No additional speed restrictions through gauging are expected except between Basingstoke and Byfleet Junction where routing via the slow lines will result in slow speed over two underbridges, however trains are timetabled over the fast lines where no restriction applies.

That first paragraph alone answers most of the last few comments about the slack timings...

Paul
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #102 on: October 05, 2010, 14:03:05 »

Thanks - that answers my question - there could be up to 20 minutes hanging around at Basingstoke. Time plenty for a smoke then....:-)
readytostart

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 05, 2010, 14:13:49 »

Thanks - that answers my question - there could be up to 20 minutes hanging around at Basingstoke. Time plenty for a smoke then....:-)

Just remember it's pick up / set down only at BSK (Brake Standard Corridor (carriage)), if you get off coming in from the West Country they might not let you back on!
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #104 on: October 05, 2010, 14:27:39 »

good point!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 230
  Print  

Jump to: