I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 21:35 28 Mar 2024
* Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
18:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
19:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
21:30 Shalford to Reading
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:11 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:20 Bristol Temple Meads to Severn Beach
22:10 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 21:41:34 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[104] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[103] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[78] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Return of the BRUTE?
[25] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 230
  Print  
Author Topic: Reading Station improvements  (Read 1356524 times)
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #135 on: October 16, 2010, 12:14:26 »

Don't let the Maidonians hear there might be shoe gear on the trains, they'll be demanding third rail on the river bridge to avoid despoiling Brunel's structure!

Recent units such a 377 and 378 seem to have been churned out in both third rail and dual versions (and presumably if required a pure AC version) but not sure of the cost differential.
XPT

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 18, 2010, 20:43:32 »

Booking is now available up untill 30th December.   Though dissapointingly it seems only a limited number of services offer the ^10 single fares.    For instance in the morning of the 27th Dec, only the 1130 service from Bristol Temple Meads has a ^10 single fare available.  The rest are all ^24, ^28, and ^31 single.   Similarly coming back from London Waterloo-Westbury, the fares are all ^28 single! Except for a ^10 single with South West Trains on the 1920 service!

Do you think all the cheap advance singles have not yet been loaded onto the database?   Or is it likely that FGW (First Great Western) are only offering the cheap advance tickets on a limited number of services only?

I suppose given the novelty value of these services, ^38 return isn't too bad.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 18, 2010, 21:04:47 »

Just a guess, but if service levels are somewhat reduced compared to normal the FGW (First Great Western) may be a little cautious about flooding the trains with cheap advance fares, to avoid potentially overcrowding them more than necessary.

As far as I'm aware, the advance fares for trains are made available all at once in a block, so I don't think there's much chance that only some of the advance tickets have been released.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 18, 2010, 21:18:24 »

Recent units such a 377 and 378 seem to have been churned out in both third rail and dual versions (and presumably if required a pure AC version) but not sure of the cost differential.

All 'post privatisation' EMUs (Electric Multiple Unit) are dual voltage capable, by the very nature of the traction equipment. They all have a pantograph well, even SWT (South West Trains)'s Desiros, although numbered in the 400 series (DC (Direct Current) units) are convertible.  If you look at the rear panel on the SWT Desiro secondmans side you can see the pantograph up/down controls.  The as new costs vary depending on whether the AC 'front end' gear (the pantograph, breaker and combined transformer/rectifier/inverter) is fitted or not, but there is always space for it, and the internal wiring is fitted.  On the opposite side of the equation, LM (London Midland - recent franchise) 350/2s are capable of having shoe gear fitted.  Apparently it was a 'future proofing' requirement initiated by DfT» (Department for Transport - about).

AIUI (as I understand it) the cost of the AC or DC specific extras, or both, is relatively insignificant in terms of the overall cost of a unit, as (ignoring shoe gear for a moment) it is only one carriage that is different, so 75% of the typical four car train costs the same, and the majority of the fourth car is the same no matter which power supply is used.

Paul
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 18, 2010, 21:28:28 »

On the fares front, SWT (South West Trains) have announced on their Christmas alterations pages that they are reducing their Bristol service for the week, so that they can strengthen the Exeter trains.
A reduced South West Trains service will run between London Waterloo and Bristol during the closure of Reading station. This is so we can provide more carriages for the expected extra passengers on our main London Waterloo to Exeter route.  Bristol passengers should use the altered First Great Western service.

I was wondering if 'route Salisbury' fares are therefore usable on FGW (First Great Western) services even though trains aren't stopping there. Does that open a can of worms?

Paul
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 18, 2010, 22:35:44 »

From the SWT (South West Trains) website www.southwesttrains.co.uk/Xmas2010.aspx
A limited First Great Western service will run to and from London Waterloo via Westbury and Salisbury during the closure of Reading station. Please see special publicity for details.

SWT seem to think trains are stopping there.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 18, 2010, 22:57:57 »

I was wondering if 'route Salisbury' fares are therefore usable on FGW (First Great Western) services even though trains aren't stopping there. Does that open a can of worms?

Interesting question, that. As a general rule under normal circumstances your train doesn't need to stop at any routeing point printed on the ticket, just needs to pass through it (e.g. Bristol to London advance tickets may be routed "AP Slough" to force the GW (Great Western) route rather than the SWT (South West Trains) route, but you certainly don't have to catch a train that calls Slough. Likewise some Reading to Gatwick fares are route "Gomshall" to preclude travelling via London, but the train doesn't actually have to call there - you get the picture).

BUT there are certain get-out clauses when trains are diverted due to engineering work. However, in this case given that the timetable is so comprehensively altered and squashed around, with SWT not running their normal service on the route, it would seem reasonable for FGW to accept tickets routed "Salisbury". Whether they will or not however I don't know - presumably the FGW ORCATS (Operational Research Computerised Allocation of Tickets to Services) share of a Bristol - London, route Salisbury ticket is fairly small under normal circumstances. I don't know if that means (a) FGW therefore won't accept the tickets, (b) FGW just sucks up the loss of revenue and does accept the ticket, possibly with some sort of Network Rail compensation? or (c) someone does a bit of fiddling with ORCATS to re-allocate revenues for the blockade period.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 18, 2010, 23:20:45 »

From the SWT (South West Trains) website www.southwesttrains.co.uk/Xmas2010.aspx
A limited First Great Western service will run to and from London Waterloo via Westbury and Salisbury during the closure of Reading station. Please see special publicity for details.

SWT seem to think trains are stopping there.

Not necessarily, they may just be describing the route. We know from the journey planners they aren't calling at Salisbury, and the Basingstoke call is set down only towards London and pick up only on return.

Paul

XPT

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 18, 2010, 23:21:54 »

Well I tried putting in a Westbury-London Waterloo return journey, and it lets you get a ^29.90 Super Off Peak Day Return. Which lets you travel on any of the FGW services on that route.

Obviously though us rail buffs will want to get a journey on both of the diverted routes on the same day.  

There seems to be a good amount of ^10 single fares from Paddington, but hardly any less than ^28 from Waterloo.

^47.90(incl a ^8.90 single from Westbury-Bristol) for a day return to London is somewhat more than I would usually be willing to pay.   But as this is a special and possibly once in life time return journey, then it's not too bad a price I suppose.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 18, 2010, 23:46:18 »

I've tried the Shirehampton - Waterloo (Route: Salisbury) Off Peak Day Return for 27th Dec on the East Coast JP which offers up the option of a change at Westbury onto a Waterloo bound HST (High Speed Train). So the Route: Salisbury fares appear to be valid on the diverted HSTs.

The JP did suggest, however, changing again at Basingstoke as that will get you to Waterloo sooner. Think I'll stay on board the HST, thanks. ^17.90 (with my railcard) for some rare HST mileage is not to be missed!

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #145 on: October 19, 2010, 10:12:13 »

I'll be bashing the route out from Padd via Banbury and return to Waterloo....just got to choose my preferred date.

On the fares front, SWT (South West Trains) have announced on their Christmas alterations pages that they are reducing their Bristol service for the week, so that they can strengthen the Exeter trains.
A reduced South West Trains service will run between London Waterloo and Bristol during the closure of Reading station. This is so we can provide more carriages for the expected extra passengers on our main London Waterloo to Exeter route.  Bristol passengers should use the altered First Great Western service.

I';ve asked the question of FGWs Fares department.....I'll post up the response when I get it.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #146 on: October 19, 2010, 10:42:39 »

Here's your definitive answer, from FGW Fares Management....

thank you for your e-mail.  To confirm FGW Bristol to London services will operate via Swindon, Oxford, Banbury/Aynho and High Wycombe and thus route 'Salisbury' tickets will not be valid on these trains.  Customers wishing to use route 'Salisbury' tickets may continue to do so by travelling from Bristol to Salisbury and changing trains for London Waterloo services, as per the majority of journey opportunities on a normal weekday.
rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 19, 2010, 19:00:50 »

It doesn't answer the question in terms of fares from Westbury although journey planners show it as valid.

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 19, 2010, 19:17:12 »

As I said up thread JP's do allow one to use the Waterloo bound HSTs (High Speed Train) from Westbury on a journey from Bristol and its environs.

I've also checked using National Rail Enquiries online and I can also summon up Route: Salisbury fares including HSTs from WSB» (Westbury - next trains) - WAT. Takes a bit of jiggery-pokery though. I had to put in via Trowbridge & Salisbury and avoid Taunton. Then also select First Great Western services only!

After all that it offers up the ^27.10 Off Peak Day Return (valid anytime between Xmas and New Year) for Shirehampton to Waterloo.

This is the fare I'd suggest any cash concious Bristol based bashers buy (try saying that quickly after a couple glasses of wine!) - it's cheaper than the BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains)-WAT Super Off Peak Day Return.

Here's your definitive answer, from FGW (First Great Western) Fares Management....

thank you for your e-mail.  To confirm FGW Bristol to London services will operate via Swindon, Oxford, Banbury/Aynho and High Wycombe and thus route 'Salisbury' tickets will not be valid on these trains.  Customers wishing to use route 'Salisbury' tickets may continue to do so by travelling from Bristol to Salisbury and changing trains for London Waterloo services, as per the majority of journey opportunities on a normal weekday.

Hardly definitive, when it misses paul7755's initial point regarding fares via Salisbury. Someone should tell FGW Fares Management that there is an alternative route and fares from Bristol to London. Paddington is not the centre of the universe!!

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
willc

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 19, 2010, 22:21:20 »

But Paul raised the point in the context of SWT (South West Trains)'s clear advice to Bristol passengers, which was to use FGW (First Great Western)'s services from Bristol during the period affected, ie, don't bother trying to travel route Salisbury from the Bristol area at this time.

I shouldn't think the ticketing needs of those wanting to clock up some rare track/rolling stock miles was top of the list of priorities at the planning meetings.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 230
  Print  

Jump to: