Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 13:15 28 Mar 2024
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
* Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
13:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
12:42 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
12:46 Avonmouth to Weston-Super-Mare
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:07 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:26 Okehampton to Exeter Central
14:05 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
Delayed
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:29 Weymouth to Gloucester
11:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
12:27 Okehampton to Exeter Central
12:28 Plymouth to Gunnislake
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 13:30:18 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 230
  Print  
Author Topic: Reading Station improvements  (Read 1356464 times)
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #315 on: June 16, 2011, 22:13:34 »

...and some updated pictures taken yesterday:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=79677666&postcount=117

Paul

The old telephone exchange flattened also the single story buildings that I once had a desk in flattened ............ oh well progress

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #316 on: June 16, 2011, 22:19:34 »

Wonder where that skylight's from, sitting to the left of the pile of rubble in the penultimate photo? 

Wonder if someone's claimed it for re-use somewhere...

Paul
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: June 27, 2011, 19:16:49 »

I went through Reading on Friday.  The old panel box has now gone. 

The new building on Napier Road (Kings Meadow) neaar Tescos has a Network Rail logo on it.  Is this a permenant replaceemnt for the temporary Reading Delivery unit building which is still standing lonely to the west of the Caversham Road bridge. 
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #318 on: June 27, 2011, 19:21:10 »

I'm sure someone will be along presently to answer that query, ellen.

In the meantime, a very warm welcome to the Coffee Shop!  Cheesy

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #319 on: July 14, 2011, 23:01:29 »

More photographs of the work have been posted on

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=501601&page=6
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #320 on: July 19, 2011, 15:31:41 »

Thanks for the link to those updated pictures, ellendune.

In addition, the crossings for the link to the reinstated eastern underpass line have now started to be installed on the Down and Up Southern lines, along with some additional/revised signalling, clipped out of use until commisioning this December.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
mjones
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #321 on: July 20, 2011, 20:11:20 »

Yes, there is a lot of activity there at the moment. It is now becoming clearer where the widened ramp up to the Southern platforms will start, with a new retaining wall now built just behind the new signal equipment box at the bottom of the ramp and a lot more aggregate being added along its length. It looks to me as if a single track's width is being added at the lower end of the ramp, widening to two tracks width at a new piled concrete retaining wall structure that has been built at around the point where the ramp levels off.

It looks like the concrete base for the new bridge  is now, complete, and retaining walls to link the bridge to the start of the existing retaining wall the other side of platform 2b have been completed. Space between the existing platform 4b tracks and the retaining wall has been cleared as if in preparation for having ballast added for the third track. I'm curious to know how the platform will be added to the old retaining wall- will this be raised and a platform added to the top, overhanging the existing wall? Also, a huge pile of large white blocks has been unloaded at the site, anyone know what they are for?
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #322 on: July 20, 2011, 21:25:32 »

Also, a huge pile of large white blocks has been unloaded at the site, anyone know what they are for?
Polystyrene used as fill between shuttering when concrete is case when remove leaves a void is my guess

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #323 on: July 20, 2011, 23:07:29 »

I had a look from the footbridge a few weeks ago and tried to estimate the overall width required.  It would be highly unusual for the back of the new platform to overhang the Vastern Rd bridge's parapet, and it has to be 2.5 metres deep (although that could be given a concession at the far end).  My gut feeling is that the concrete formwork you can see in the third of the latest photos is the alignment of the back of the platform structure, and therefore there will be a space of about a metre between it and the existing concrete wall.  On the station side of the bridge adjacent to that formwork there is a massive concrete block with no apparent purpose (yet!) - I'd be interested to know what that is all about, it doesn't seem to have an equivalent on the other side of the bridge.   Huh 

I suppose once the new platform structure starts appearing everything will suddenly become clearer;  however I also suspect that the track into the new platform won't be laid until Christmas.  My reasoning here is that the track alongside the existing island will have to be removed before the new can be laid. I know from the NR» (Network Rail - home page) Q&A session a couple of months back that the project includes straightening the existing platforms so that they will be parallel with the new one, ie the existing curvature (away from the main lines) near the buffer stops gets removed.

Paul
mjones
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #324 on: July 21, 2011, 09:00:24 »

Also, a huge pile of large white blocks has been unloaded at the site, anyone know what they are for?
Polystyrene used as fill between shuttering when concrete is case when remove leaves a void is my guess

They do indeed look like these polystyrene blocks used in construction:
http://www.sundolitt.co.uk/default.asp?menu=8683

Looks like they are going to use them to build up the gap that still remains between the newly cast concrete bridge abutment and the start of the existing retaining wall next to platform 4b. However, there is a large pile of them, so maybe they are also going to use them to build the new platform as well?
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #325 on: July 21, 2011, 20:59:22 »

Using polystyerene would reduce any increase in load on the existing retaining wall.
Not from Brighton

View Profile
« Reply #326 on: July 21, 2011, 23:36:44 »

They do indeed look like these polystyrene blocks used in construction:
http://www.sundolitt.co.uk/default.asp?menu=8683
Polystyrene you could park a car on, there's something I'd never imagined.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #327 on: July 25, 2011, 17:36:47 »

I took a couple of photos with the phone this lunchtime, the 'new' concrete retaining wall is basically in line with the nearest parts of the existing wall alongside Apex (Advanced Purchase Excursion (fare)) Plaza.  What I suggested earlier about it being nearer than the wall must have been an illusion as seen from the platform. The big lump of concrete I noted is consistent with the parapet height as well...

Uploaded the pics as attachments hereunder so not brilliant quality.

Interestingly, one of the Nuttall workmen told me that their contracted work is planned to be handed over to Network Rail this weekend, with the platform works contractor starting immediately afterwards.

Paul 
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #328 on: July 29, 2011, 00:46:43 »

Here's a telephoto shot (light fading) showing the connections now installed on the Southern Lines east of Reading station.  The short length of new single track will dive under the GWML (Great Western Main Line) and emerge up the embankment on the north side of the formation reinstating a link removed (I think) in the 60's.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #329 on: August 03, 2011, 20:25:00 »

The line of the platform is now apparent over Vastern Rd bridge, there's a concrete foundation strip appeared, by eye I'd say it's possibly a couple of metres from, and parallel to, the bridge parapet.

Paul
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 230
  Print  

Jump to: