Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 11:35 28 Mar 2024
* Manhunt after stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:33 Weymouth to Gloucester
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Delayed
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:48 London Paddington to Swansea
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
09:51 Warminster to Gloucester
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 11:38:47 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[161] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[91] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[62] Return of the BRUTE?
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[49] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[38] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: UK airports see record drop in passenger numbers in 2009  (Read 4092 times)
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« on: March 15, 2010, 20:50:56 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

The UK (United Kingdom)'s airports handled 7.4% fewer passengers last year than in 2008, the biggest annual decline since records began 65 years ago, figures have shown.
The Civil Aviation Authority (CAA» (Civil Aviation Authority - about)) said that with passenger numbers having also fallen in 2008, it was the first time levels have fallen two years in a row.
It said last year's decline was led by a fall in holiday airline traffic, with charter flights down 17%.
A total of 216.8 million passengers flew last year, the fewest since 2004.
UK domestic flight traffic was down 8% and overall scheduled airline traffic fell 6%.
"Today's figures show the biggest fall in passenger numbers since the Second World War, highlighting the enormous impact the recession has had on the aviation industry," said CAA economic regulation director Harry Bush. "Passenger numbers are now back to the level they were six years ago and, although they will certainly rebound, the pace of recovery is uncertain and it could be a number of years before they reach their peak level again."

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 03:03:13 »

Huh

So why, every time I get on an aircraft, is it packed to the gunwales with rude people who recline their seat in your face/prod you in the back with their knees even though you're sitting bolt-upright/steal your armrest etc etc?

And on a related note, is it just pure cynicism on the part of the airlines that you have to walk through the jewel-encrusted, Utopian visions of Shangri-La that are First and Club World on your way to Pleb World (sorry, "World Traveller") in the back?!
moonrakerz

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 17:46:32 »

And on a related note, is it just pure cynicism on the part of the airlines that you have to walk through the jewel-encrusted, Utopian visions of Shangri-La that are First and Club World on your way to Pleb World (sorry, "World Traveller") in the back?!

Ah, I see now - that is why first class is always at the London end of the train................ BUT - aren't FGW (First Great Western) now trying to stop the "plebs" from venturing into this hallowed domain as the train passes Ealing Broadway ?  Grin
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 18:04:32 »

Ah, I see now - that is why first class is always at the London end of the train................ BUT - aren't FGW (First Great Western) now trying to stop the "plebs" from venturing into this hallowed domain as the train passes Ealing Broadway ?  Grin
Yes by sticking labels in the vestibule areas stating this is part of 1st class. That will really stop people walking through first class to be first off the train.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 20:30:56 »

Some people use the vestibules in first as a standing area when trains are full. I have a colleague who does this every day between Chippenham and Swindon regardless of whether there are seats in standard.

This isn't a problem until lots do it and are noisy, with the vestibule door forever sliding open and shut. At that point, it will be useful for the TM(resolve) to point at something that makes it clear that they have to move on. (Though as of yet, I've not seen it enforced.)
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 20:33:04 »

Some people use the vestibules in first as a standing area when trains are full. I have a colleague who does this every day between Chippenham and Swindon regardless of whether there are seats in standard.

This isn't a problem until lots do it and are noisy, with the vestibule door forever sliding open and shut. At that point, it will be useful for the TM(resolve) to point at something that makes it clear that they have to move on. (Though as of yet, I've not seen it enforced.)

Or until the trolley can't get through which requires a ridiculously small of standers to block

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: