27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 03:05:52 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[174] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[112] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[63] Where have I been?
[62] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[52] Death of another bus station?
[46] Penalty fares on Severn Beach Line

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: "Putting Customers First" Course.  (Read 12962 times)
The SprinterMeister

Trundling round the SW

Chris64ex4@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2010, 14:06:48 »

Most people who I know who have been on it have enjoyed it, I didn't think it was HST (High Speed Train) orientated, but I spose each person who has attended will have their own opinion, and some will get more out of it than others.

Thankfully Drivers aren't going on this course due to the very limited (if any) actual contact with passengers / customers / this weeks buzzword. So it would be tying up resources far better used elsewhere actually permitting trains to be run.
 Wink

I understand the Westbury travelling fitter went on it though. Rather odd as if a unit / train is broken it surely is still broken even though the customers might not like it. Not sure that customer care training makes much difference to unwilling rolling stock.

Trundling gently round the SW
smithy

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2010, 16:03:51 »

Most people who I know who have been on it have enjoyed it, I didn't think it was HST (High Speed Train) orientated, but I spose each person who has attended will have their own opinion, and some will get more out of it than others.

Thankfully Drivers aren't going on this course due to the very limited (if any) actual contact with passengers / customers / this weeks buzzword. So it would be tying up resources far better used elsewhere actually permitting trains to be run.
 Wink

I understand the Westbury travelling fitter went on it though. Rather odd as if a unit / train is broken it surely is still broken even though the customers might not like it. Not sure that customer care training makes much difference to unwilling rolling stock.

i heard drivers will get a diluted version once everyone else has been done might just be rumour though so see what happens in the future.
i also heard the travelling fitters had to go on the course quite why they need to go is beyond me
The SprinterMeister

Trundling round the SW

Chris64ex4@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2010, 21:07:39 »

I heard drivers will get a diluted version once everyone else has been done might just be rumour though so see what happens in the future.

There has been some fairly vaugue comment that drivers may get a 'Day Release' (how apt!) version of the course at their depot rather than the full bifters two day event at Paddington with overnight stay. However there is quite a lot of training of drivers on different tractions going on at the moment so I wouldn't think it will occur any time this year as the running of the service must of course take precedence. Not much point cancelling trains just have the drivers on a jolly to tell them what effect train cancellations has on the travelling public........
 Wink

moonrakerz

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2010, 21:53:58 »

So whether FGW (First Great Western) put their staff in the local Travelodge or the Savoy won't impact on the subsidy profile,  and thus the cost is borne by First Group.

Remind me NOT to ask you to do my accounts !

The taxpayer puts in a total of over ^6 billion, so therefore the ^4 million comes out of FGW's pocket - yup !
John R

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2010, 22:06:28 »

I'm an actuary, not an accountant, so I wouldn't dream of doing anyone's accounts, it's far too exciting.  Grin
qwerty

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2010, 22:58:51 »

Wink

Shame on you Mr. Sprinter Meister. We are all servants of the company. Nothing makes me cringe more than when a member of staff fails to address the needs of our customers.
Perhaps you need to go on the course more than some Undecided
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2010, 16:03:35 »

the reason fitters went on the course is so that they can see what effect their actions have on their colleagues and the customers, although they don't come face to face with many passengers their work seriously effects the way in which customers see the railway.
The SprinterMeister

Trundling round the SW

Chris64ex4@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2010, 23:23:02 »

Shame on you Mr. Sprinter Meister. We are all servants of the company. Nothing makes me cringe more than when a member of staff fails to address the needs of our customers.
Perhaps you need to go on the course more than some Undecided

If I'm on a course, that could mean a train cancelled or covered on overtime or RDW, somebody has to pick up the tab for this eventually probably resulting in increased ticket prices. I don't think anyone favours that option. Particularly given the relative lack of customer contact compared with platform staff, guards or other on train roles.

As for the fitters going on the course, yes ok up to a point, however if the train can't be fixed due to lack of parts or tools then its still a dead duck unless another train can be bought out to replace it. It might focus the minds of the fitters as to the effects of their actions but I would think it a bit of a slur to say that our M&EE lads & lasses don't do their utmost with the kit they have available.

old original
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2010, 16:46:12 »

Just for the record, down here in the far west, stations have been left unmanned to allow staff to be released to go
Seems to defeat the object of the exercise...
"you're going on this course to learn to put customers first,  but we don't care about the ones who can't buy tickets or get assistance because there's no staff at the station whilst you're gone..." Huh

It's all about ticking boxes, I think

8 Billion people on a wet rock - of course we're not happy
smokey

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2010, 17:19:59 »

OK is a purpose built room for the course so moving is out of the qustion.
But it must cost FGW (First Great Western) a lot to send staff from Cornwall to London, ok there's NO cost on tickets but HOW many staff travelled in THERE own time.
So from Penzance that's about 12 Hours pay per member of staff sent.

Of course London Hotels are the cheapest around Grin Grin

IMHO (in my humble opinion) any one with a brain would have set up the course more centrally like  in Bristol or Exeter even Reading would have saved costs.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2010, 19:26:31 »

Indeed, what's wrong with Reading or maybe FGW (First Great Western) Towers at Swindon?

I did my Customer Service* training at Reading when I temped for FGW.

*In actuality, the course I attended was less about Customer Service and more about revenue protection and what we shouldn't do to help passengers. I left with the impression that passengers are an operational inconvenience for the TOCs (Train Operating Company).

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
old original
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2010, 19:56:36 »

Apparently there was going to be a second venue set up in Plymouth but the idea was dropped to save money so staff from the far west were given an additional day off to allow them to travel to London. (with another nights accomodation!)

8 Billion people on a wet rock - of course we're not happy
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2010, 20:00:23 »

... thus saving lots of money.  Huh

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2010, 20:30:55 »

... thus saving lots of money.  Huh

Except the travel and hotels etc will come out of operating income and is therefore fully deductible from the bottom line.  Whereas a new centre would be capital and would have to be added to the balance sheet and depreciated. 

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2010, 20:47:11 »

Whereas setting up a specific training facility in Paddington (operated by Network Rail, not FGW (First Great Western)) is fully deductible, rather than being capital investment?  Huh

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: